Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileyboy
New Member!
Female 

11-10-2017, 10:28 AM

Please help, don't know what to do...

My beautiful little 10 week old puppy came home with us on Monday. I've had puppies before and have always rode out the crying, but this is something else.

We've had two pretty horrendous nights with him... Last night I was literally up all night long. My other half had to go to work so when he still hadn't stopped crying by 2am I got up earlier than planned for potty, only to find he'd messed absolutely everywhere (and I really mean everywhere), it was on him, his bed, up the bars of the crate etc. The first night I thought it was just because he'd had a big day and been taken away from his brothers and mum, but he won't let me out of his sight and I've noticed if I move out of the same room for even 10 seconds he starts crying and messes or wees...

Please help!!! This is so extreme, I'm in tears writing it. Has any one else experienced this? How did you both solve it and get through it?

It's been suggested we put the crate in our bedroom, but I know he'll freak out being next to me but with the bars between us so it'll be awful...

Thanks so much.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Most of us either have the crate by the bed or sleep on the sofa until puppy is settled. I prefer the sofa as it's closer to the back door for middle of the night toilet trips. If you keep the crate close by you can talk quietly to him should he whimper and whine. I used to put my fingers through the bars of the crate so they knew I was there but they wasn't coming out unless it was a toilet break. It's a big adjustment for the pup, they've let mum and siblings and they are all alone. I've spent anywhere up to 3 weeks sleeping on the sofa until they were completely settled, on the other hand I've been back in my bed after 3 nights.
Baileyboy
New Member!
Female 

11-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Thank you!
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2017, 03:13 PM
May I just suggest that you cover the top of the crate and maybe 3 of the sides with a blanket, this helps a puppy feel more secure and the crate is like a "den".
As suggested sleep beside your puppy.
A cage must be a happy place and not a place of horendous stress!
I have never used a crate for a young puppy, but a safe area (maybe a puppy pen) with access to his bed/crate which can be used by him without any pressure would be a suggestion.
There are so many different suggestions and methods that may be suggested, not all of them work but maybe some will. Not all dogs/puppies adjust to being confined to a cage/crate.