Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Oh no.

For what it's worth, Molly's other cruciate went 13 weeks after the first one, just when she was getting back to normal after the first op. She was lucky in that she recovered well from both ops without any problems and has her, hopefully, last physio/hydro session soon.

Just wondering if you've him to the vet yet for examination and/or x-rays rather than just speaking to them? Only way to get a firm diagnosis I suppose.

Good luck, will be keeping fingers and paws crossed that it's nothing major again. xx

Westie-N,
Just out of curiosity and for the benefit of others who maybe in need.Would you highly recommend the physio/ hydro sessions. Have you seen an improvement with Molly?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Westie-N,
Just out of curiosity and for the benefit of others who maybe in need.Would you highly recommend the physio/ hydro sessions. Have you seen an improvement with Molly?
Well, there's a question! The answer is absolutely, 100% yes, I would highly recommend it.

The vet nurse who discharged after her 6 week post op x-rays says she was recovering well and at that present time did not neccessarily need it. She knew we were going holiday around 7 weeks later and said if I felt she needed it just to pop her in and they'll give her a session or two before we go.

Whilst she was making good progress, I decided long before that I felt she could benefit from having the physiotherapist have a look at her, so booked her in to the Wellness Centre at the Glasgow Vet School (where she had her surgeries) for Melanie to check her out. We were able to go staight there without seeing the vet (the vet was aware she was going and said that was fine), usually they have to be checked over by a vet first.

She had a good feel of Molly, did various bits of work on her and other bits and pieces with her. Molly actually enjoyed that for the most part. She said she was quite tight in her lower back and in her elbows, possibly caused by the surgeries and being over cautious on those parts of the body. She has a slight thickening of the right cruciate but that's probably because of the surgery as well and nothing to worry bout. Apart from that, she said Molly was in fairly good shape despite being out of action for quite a while.

After that she has a session on the aquatic treadmill which she tolerates but doesn't particularly enjoy it. She's not really stressed, she just gets on with it. The time on that was increased over the past 4 sessions - the last session we had was 4 lots of 4 minutes I think with stronger jets and the speed increased slightly.

We went with fortnightly appointments and increased her exercise over that time as well. Melanie was so happy with her the last time that she said the next one, 5th session, could be her last for now.

She asked was she tired after the sessions and she wasn't after the first two, so that indiciated a level of fitness still present, so she pushed her a bit more after that and after the next two sessions was a bit more tired than usual.

I plan to go back if and when she needs it though and when the inevitable arthritis starts to make an appearance.

She really is on top form now and looking great, I couldn't be happier with her. I just wish I'd started it a bit sooner than I did, though she said that it was benefiting her now and that's the main thing.

She said that Molly would probably be ok without it, but this helps her improve even more which it has done. I'm delighted. She has certainly progressed since starting it.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Great postSo happy to hear she is doing so well xx
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2013, 08:53 AM
We took Elroy to the vet this morning.
She had a good look at him and confirmed my worst fear. He has done in the second leg's CLs and feels that an operation rather than rest is the only way forward for him.

Given his continuing problems with his first leg, often not able to put any weight on it most evenings, the vet said to take a week to think about our decision.

In the meanwhile she's given us stronger painkillers for him, Previcox.

Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Oh flip.

I would be inclined to go for the surgery again it's usually the only real option for this, especially if it's a full rupture, as hard as it'll be. Maybe if all goes well you can follow it up with physio/hydro.

Thinking of you. Not easy whatever your decision will be. xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
We took Elroy to the vet this morning.
She had a good look at him and confirmed my worst fear. He has done in the second leg's CLs and feels that an operation rather than rest is the only way forward for him.

Given his continuing problems with his first leg, often not able to put any weight on it most evenings, the vet said to take a week to think about our decision.

In the meanwhile she's given us stronger painkillers for him, Previcox.
It would seem from what others have said that having the second op will sort the problem. Also from what I read when googling about it. Bit like having one knee go on you and having it fixed and then having the other one go. You won't be RIGHT until both are sorted.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Thank you all for your help.
We have made the decision that it would be unfair on Elroy to put him through another operation. Watching him struggle with putting most of the eight on his first leg (that never recovered properly) we can see its too much for him.

We are taking him to the vets this evening so he can be PTS. Breaking our hearts, but better for him.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Oh Evie I am so very sorry to hear this - but you know that you are going to do the kindest act possible for your beloved Elroy. I wish him a peaceful passing.

(((hugs))) xx
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 01:42 PM
I am so sorry that you have come to this decision. I believe my friend who emailed you explained that her dog too was in a bad state until she had both legs done and is now leading a perfectly normal life. However, she was a model patient and remained calm during rehab.

All I can really say is that I am so very sorry and thinking of you at this dreadful time (((hugs)))) to you and Elroy. You must be broken hearted
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Be thinking of you both,so sorry Evie
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >