Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 11:18 AM

Dog Toys

Well does anyone else have this problem, I can't surely be the only one finding toys that my dog can't destroy. I only have a small dog but finding something that wont end up in pieces seems to be a nightmare of a job, I have spent a fortune.

I have one that seems to take a few months before he destroys - A Car Tyre. Even the Kong gets destroyed - I was told to get a stronger Kong but they are too big for him. I found a ball that he couldn't destroy but it was so solid that he couldn't even pick it up so hence he lost interest in that in no time at all.

I'm at a loss of what else to try, everything ends up in pieces and I worry that he will swallow and end up with a big health problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 11:22 AM
i have a staffy and staffy x who trash most toys in minutes,i found the Cuz toys to be good,they had the bad Cuz and only chewed the horns off they are rubber and squeak,they come in various sizes and you can buy them from pets at home or online (you can google them)
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 11:23 AM
have you tried knoting old socks together ?sounds strange but gives hoourd of fun ,cost nothing and no worrys if they only last a short time .
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Griff - I found all toys that squeak he has the squeak out of it in minuets, then he continues chewing the edge where the squeak came out till its in bits (either in his stomach or all over the floor).

Olly - Well I don't think my OH would be very happy about me giving him socks - as at every opportunity Ozzie gets he pinches his as it is (tee hee).
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Mine are dedicated toy destroyers and anything with a squeaker lasts seconds, have you tried an empty water bottle it seems to make enough noise to keep them interested and you can chuck them out when it gets too bad, mine rarely if ever actually destroy them.
These have all survived my two

also

We also have the puppy tyre tread and that has survived as well.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by trouble21
Mine are dedicated toy destroyers and
We also have the puppy tyre tread and that has survived as well.
Yes the puppy tyre tread is the only one that seems to last any length of time. I saw the platted rope - well he loves them but again he gets through it, it unravels and I end up having string everywhere.

It's funny you should mention the empty water bottle, I tried that last night (he was scared of it) whimp that he is! :smt069
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2006, 12:50 PM
The knotted rope ball we have had about 3 weeks and they haven't got any bits off it yet. The tuggy thing you do get bits of string off but the hoover soon gets rid of it. The boing ball hasn't suffered any damage at all. Thats the purple and yellow one in the picture, it has a rattle inside the yellow bit which is hard and protected by the rubber purple bit on the outside which still allows it to bounce about.
The purple ball with holes in is tuff rubber too and hasn't suffered any damage either and its been here over a month.
Mine have both loved empty water bottles from about 8 weeks old, just try leaving one around and see if he gets used to it. It's free.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-07-2006, 01:14 PM
A good cheap doggie toy is to get an empty fizzy bottle and superglue the lid on so it cant be swallowed.Keeps em' amused for ages cause the air inside stops it being compressed by their jaws!

If your dog is small-use one of them little Coke bottles.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 01:40 PM
fill the bottle with stones too - free rattler so long as u havent been using a rattle can as punishment

i also find it hard to find toys that last long, but i dont mind indie chewing them to bits, its what she enjoys doing. everytime i go to the petshop i will buy her a toy i know she was rip to bits cos she spends a good few days ripping into it... only takes 5 mins to get the stuffing out, but thats quickly disposed of and i pull the squeaker out before she gets it. and leave her with the skin

i find rope toys last the longest... she does rip them to shreds, but i just pick up the pieces and she still has loads of toy left.

i have one of them over sized tennis balls too (purple ball in picture)... they are rock hard and they always last ages here. she pulls the outside layer off over a few days, and then eventually rips the balll to shreds, but lasts a good few months.

she has a devil cuz too, but i dont thnk she liked it much so its still in one piece, but it did survive the chewing of our rottie phoenix

that round purple and yellow rope ball has lasted ages! i think we;ve had it since last yr. shes always chewing on it, but cos its so tightly woven, its really hard for her to rip apart. well worth the money that one.

the air kong toys are really good too. them yellow ones. she really loves them, and hasnt chewed them to bits yet.

the giggly ball has lasted ages too,but shes not interested in that much.

the flavoured plastic bones were a favourite for a while,. she quite liked those and theyve lasted well! she gave up on them after a while tho cos she cant rip em up

that round ball thats all interwoven and made of rubber has lasted at least a year, i think maybe 2. im sure we got it when she was a puppy. shes always running around with it, and we can play catch indoors with it without wrecking everything,lol.

lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2006, 12:57 AM
dora one of ours eats shreds all the toys so i have been cutting up old t-shirts (i know its tight) into to strips + puttin 4 strips together tiein them together one by one into knots so u end up with what looks simlier to a rope toy but i find they last alot longer + you dont get bits of string/rope everywhere + it doesnt matter cause it didnt cost anything
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >