Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MMichelle
New Member!
Female 

21-05-2016, 05:08 PM

It's call a leash, use it!!! *RANT*

My dog Zody and I were walking along the fence line of the dog park at the apartments across the road. He was doing really well and getting treats for spotting people when a large boxer came running up to us from nowhere, and was next to us before I knew it. Now the dog was simply curious, but Zody is fearful of large dogs and there's no telling if he would want to run or if he would try bluffing and do a full aggressive display, complete with snapping. I could not see the dogs owner.

I tried leaving Zody on the ground since I know from experience that he'll act worse if I pick him up. That worked for around 2 seconds, the dog kept trying to get in his space so Zody started growling. I put my deep voice on, shouted NO at the dog, and scooped Zody up before he could start a fight. I shouted NO again, and the dog's owner finally strolled into view and called him. Thankfully he went to her and they went into the dog park. Honestly I do not know why I told her I was, "Sorry, my dog is not friendly" when it was her that was in the wrong. I'm just grateful that a dog fight was avoided.

I know that it would have been my 10.8 lb dog that would have started it since hers was just wanting to sniff, but there's a leash law in this town and her dog was not on it's leash, she was carrying it. My dog would have been either seriously hurt, or killed, if a dog fight wouldn't have started. Why, can't people simply leash up their dogs??.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
My dog Zody and I were walking along the fence line of the dog park at the apartments across the road. He was doing really well and getting treats for spotting people when a large boxer came running up to us from nowhere, and was next to us before I knew it. Now the dog was simply curious, but Zody is fearful of large dogs and there's no telling if he would want to run or if he would try bluffing and do a full aggressive display, complete with snapping. I could not see the dogs owner.

I tried leaving Zody on the ground since I know from experience that he'll act worse if I pick him up. That worked for around 2 seconds, the dog kept trying to get in his space so Zody started growling. I put my deep voice on, shouted NO at the dog, and scooped Zody up before he could start a fight. I shouted NO again, and the dog's owner finally strolled into view and called him. Thankfully he went to her and they went into the dog park. Honestly I do not know why I told her I was, "Sorry, my dog is not friendly" when it was her that was in the wrong. I'm just grateful that a dog fight was avoided.

I know that it would have been my 10.8 lb dog that would have started it since hers was just wanting to sniff, but there's a leash law in this town and her dog was not on it's leash, she was carrying it. My dog would have been either seriously hurt, or killed, if a dog fight wouldn't have started. Why, can't people simply leash up their dogs??.
You can't pick your own dog up? Is your dog vicious?
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2016, 09:26 PM
NickyAnn, MMichelle said she picked up her dog, she also explained that her dog is fearful of large dogs. I'm just totally surprised you didn't turn this thread into a tirade about dogs being on leashes and caged.

MMichelle you rant away all you want, we all need a rant at times It is annoying when other let their dogs do whatever they want and come up to your dog especially when they've let their dog out of view. I too have a small dog and it's a worry that he might get into a fight with a large dog. My dog is very friendly but doesn't put up with annoying dogs, he's only about 6-7 pounds but thinks he's a 100 pound dog lol
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-05-2016, 04:15 PM
@MMichelle, not everyone is real swift about leash laws, trust me I have run into several loose dogs when out walking mine. I'm on the other end though, I have a 190lb+ dog, he's extremely animal friendly <past squirrel and groundhogs. Had a few encounters with aggressive dogs. He can defend himself. Where some dog owners have a huge laps in judgement is they think there dog is friendly and can defend himself so there is no need to worry.

@NickyAnn, I not a big fan of the practice of picking up small dogs because many times it brings more attention to it and can lead to a larger dog jumping up to get a closer look, and could lead to injury from falling or the small dog biting the owner lashing out in fear. Trust me pretty sure our dogs can out run use should the need arise to escape from a aggressive dog.

If the approaching dog is friendly, it would be far better to simply block the dog from yours with your body, while telling it no loudly.
NickyAnn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2016, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by LMost View Post
@MMichelle, not everyone is real swift about leash laws, trust me I have run into several loose dogs when out walking mine. I'm on the other end though, I have a 190lb+ dog, he's extremely animal friendly <past squirrel and groundhogs. Had a few encounters with aggressive dogs. He can defend himself. Where some dog owners have a huge laps in judgement is they think there dog is friendly and can defend himself so there is no need to worry.

@NickyAnn, I not a big fan of the practice of picking up small dogs because many times it brings more attention to it and can lead to a larger dog jumping up to get a closer look, and could lead to injury from falling or the small dog biting the owner lashing out in fear. Trust me pretty sure our dogs can out run use should the need arise to escape from a aggressive dog.

If the approaching dog is friendly, it would be far better to simply block the dog from yours with your body, while telling it no loudly.
Actually, most people are respectful, and if they have a really nasty dog they will keep it leashed, and the loose dogs tend to be sweethearts. Size means nothing as you will get bit by a toy dog faster than a big dog...
forsythiablooming
New Member!
Female 

26-05-2016, 04:37 PM
@MMichelle, Rant away!

I hate encountering loose dogs, too! I was walking my dog through rush hours crowds in Harvard Square in Boston (packed with people and cars) and a loose chihuahua ran up to us. I was stunned by the risk that the owner was taking- it is completely irresponsible and unacceptable!

Even without the crowds and cars, you have no idea if the other people or dogs in the area are dog-friendly. The only responsible thing to do is to keep your dog on a leash! (Dog parks are, of course, a different story.)

Loose dogs have one thing in common- thoughtless owners.