Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2011, 07:13 PM

Moving house.

In January we're moving from our tiny 2 bed flat to a 3 bed house can't wait! However, i don't think Vito will take too kindly to the move and was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips to make the move and transition as stress free as possible for him.

He's usually a big laid back lump- in his own house- but he's never too keen being anywhere else, he cries and paces whenever i pop round to my mum's just for a cuppa!

I'm taking 2 weeks off after the move but just wondered if there was anything else I could do?

Thanks x
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 10:14 PM
When we moved we had Flint and Simba as a pup. It was relatively easy because they were/are quite easy going dogs. First off I moved to my fiances dads house for 2 weeks, then when we got the keys to the house we went to the new house, so technically 2 moves as far as the dogs are concerned! When we came to move in to the new house, we brought as much of the big bulky stuff as we could, and set it up, things like tvs, sofas, beds etc. I then came with the dogs and Simba crate. We took them strait out into the garden and gave them loads of toys and treats and to be honest they occupied themselves for about 4 hours out n the garden while we managed to get the majority of the unpacking done.

I would recommend taking your dogs beds, favourite toys and treats with you and setting them all up for him first thing, if there's a enclosed garden leave the door open for him to come and go as he pleases. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how quickly he will adjust
Best of luck x

ETA- we are hopefully moving the year after next to a larger home, and this time will have the three dogs, and I plan to do exactly what I've written
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 10:16 PM
don't think dogs are generally that bothered by moving too much, would imagine he will be inquisitive of the new space and as long as his familiar things are there should be fine. Bruno was fine when we moved.

You could always get a dap plug in and collar if you think he really won't settle.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-12-2011, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
In January we're moving from our tiny 2 bed flat to a 3 bed house can't wait! However, i don't think Vito will take too kindly to the move and was wondering if anyone had any hints or tips to make the move and transition as stress free as possible for him.

He's usually a big laid back lump- in his own house- but he's never too keen being anywhere else, he cries and paces whenever i pop round to my mum's just for a cuppa!

I'm taking 2 weeks off after the move but just wondered if there was anything else I could do?

Thanks x

Roxie coped well with our move but I made sure that she wasnt around in the thick of it and when she did come in that all her 'things' were there, and showed her where they all were.

As youve got the 2 weeks off you can start slowly adjusting him into what will be your 'normal' routine bit by bit, so when you do go back to work its not a big shock in a new place and all too much for him.

Ooooh and congrats!
Suzanne2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-12-2011, 10:39 PM
As many things as possible that smell of him, rugs, bedding, wherever he sleeps most. I'm sure he loves you more than the flat, and when he's fragranced te garden properly it will be his! Let us know how it goes....
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Moved house this week and we've fortunately been able to leave the dogs at the old house with family so we can get the new house unpacked before bringing them over.
Got lots of chews to give the dogs to settle, won't wash their bedding so that they have something that smells of home, got them some new toys to distract them, will bring the babygates to confine them a bit (moved to a busier road so don't want them barking at the front window), and bringing a groundstake because the garden isn't 100% secure yet - so pee breaks will be on-lead for a while!
I've got some DAP spray so will be trying that, and we're waiting until we're actual home (this week has been a jumble of ferrying boxes and going out to collect essentials - after today we should be done, just furniture to build and boxes to unpack, bliss!) so that we're not leaving the dogs alone in a strange place.
Obviously this may not be possible but if you do have to move them at the same time, I'd try to get all the boxes upstairs so that the dogs aren't living in box city downstairs, which can be a bit stressful. Try to move them out of the old house last, and sort them out at the new house first. Some frozen Kongs or tough chews to keep them busy and out from under your feet could be a big help. Pack the dog stuff in a box that's easy to identify. And maybe keep some stain & odour remover/vinegar to hand incase they decide to make themselves at home, a bit too physically