Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Urm what about tracking - I obviously know how to place a scent but if I place a treat in the house and tell him go find - he knows the game through watching the other dogs and me placing a treat near him - he just cant find it if I shut him out the room and hide the treats...so other than that - what else does tracking involve?

Thanks
We use our dogs for the cold tracking of large shot game. In europe this kind of work is undertaken a lot more frequently that it is here in the UK. If the animal bolts when shot and the stalker is unable to locate, the tracking dog and handler are called in.

My 5yo SM started training back in april and found her first buck in August, but the biggest problem i have is the distraction of feathered game. For this kind of work ideally the tracking element should be introduced first and feather later. (lesson learnt for any future SM's/gundogs )
All our BMH have started training from the word 'go' and are not as easiliy distracted as the SM.

This link:
http://www.bavarianmountainhoundsoci..._Tracking.html

following the aptitude test link mentions on how the tracks are made.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 10:51 PM
SM & BHM - dont have a clue what breeds they are - sorry

Tracking is easy for him since 8 weeks old he's been tracking our rabbit Tonic under all the hutches - of course he cant fit under now..but he loves finding where the rabbits are I do see him sniffing where birds have been on the garden and he did track his friend down this morning so I suppose tracking would be easier for him - right - so I need to work on find games now...hmmm
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 11:11 PM
The highlighted bit made me laugh as I'm sat here thinking he already has a taste of rabbits as he nudges mine around the living room - I have 7 rabbits so not sure the OH would feel right about me wrapping them around a dummy and teaching him to fetch rabbits

Now I know there's a difference between dead and alive but recently dead ones I reckon will smell just as a living one would?

Dont worry - more info the better.

He has a stuffed duck that is in for repair because he decided to chew a hole in it - he looked so natural retrieving that

I guess I could always take him in the little heather/grass fields next to the corn fields - I know there are pheasants there and I don't own a gun and you cant get done for bird worrying can you?

People do go walking in there all the time though with their dogs so I don't think I'd be doing anything wrong - will check with the farmer who owns the land and see first - I can always get him sniffing and flushing - he does work like a springer - I have noticed that
Hmm, maybe the rabbit skin thing isn't a good idea then!

Checking with the farmer to see if you can hunt Louie on his land would be a good idea, you'd get an idea what he'd be like on game, and it would be a good training opportunity regardless of whether you get into gundog work or not!

The whistle training aspect is also good for any dog, so you'd benefit from lots of different ways, if you went into gundog training! It can be a bit embarrasing though, blowing your whistle in the park and everyone staring, but then being impressed when your dog stops/comes back!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
Hmm, maybe the rabbit skin thing isn't a good idea then!

Checking with the farmer to see if you can hunt Louie on his land would be a good idea, you'd get an idea what he'd be like on game, and it would be a good training opportunity regardless of whether you get into gundog work or not!

The whistle training aspect is also good for any dog, so you'd benefit from lots of different ways, if you went into gundog training! It can be a bit embarrasing though, blowing your whistle in the park and everyone staring, but then being impressed when your dog stops/comes back!
I whistle trained a GSD x R-Collie once - she was brill, we had to cos she would only listen to a whistle once the red mist had descended and she was chasing another dog that we hadn't seen..the whistle worked well then I lost it

I just need to find out which farmer owns the land now - the one who owns the cows on the other side or the one who owns the corn - hmmmm

I did see a gorgeous ESS on the beach just before we got Louie and he was whistle trained - sat on a whistle - laid down and came all while his owners were walking off from him and he was in a stay I was like I want THAT dog - Oh I'll have to write later a Louie has brought me his lead - talk about subtle hints ey
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 10:33 AM
SM & BHM - dont have a clue what breeds they are - sorry
I would hazard a guess the first is a small munsterlander (username gives it away)
BMH- Bavarian mountain hound
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Yes blood tracking is another option, my Weimaraner has passed the BMHS aptitude tracking test.

Weimaraners are different from most of the other HPR group in that they are really a tracking dog that retrieves.

Labradors are very good trackers and there are several WT Ch Labradors in the UK.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I have various bird wings and also cold game in my freezer. If you'd like any help then just let me know.

I'm trying to find some beating work but it's not easy. I'm a member of NOBS, HPRBA, just joined PUBS but I see that very few people who post wanting work in this area get any replies. Think i'll stick to my scurries!

I've also just done a tracking day and I think more are planned so Google Cadelac (they have an advert on here too) if it's of interest to you.

Like I said, if I can offer any of my resources then just shout up!
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I would hazard a guess the first is a small munsterlander (username gives it away)
BMH- Bavarian mountain hound
Correct

Over the 3 BMHS Aptitude tests, 27 dogs of 8 different breeds have passed - Bavarians, Weim, Basset Fauve de Bretagne, L. Munsterlander, GSP, GLP, Bracco Italiano and Ridgeback
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2