Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 11:40 AM

What has happened to Zaks coat?

I was looking back at Zaks puppy photos yesterday, it made me realise his coat now is just awful

His coat used to be flat and smooth

it is now at the age of nearly 8 years old dry, course and seems to stick out and curl over in places. I do groom him but he hates it and has to be muzzled so its not done often, when i do do it he never looks better and its like brushing straw. I use a ferminator type tool and a plastic comb.

He is fed arden grange food.

Even after a bath its still sticks out and curls over

Any ideas whats caused this?
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 11:46 AM
My last GSD was a rescue at about 4 years old.
Beautiful coat.
Then he was neutered.
Straw coat.
It was horrible, never the same again, and much more difficult to groom.

Is he neutered?

I find currently that different food brands = different coat. But then I know some GSDs fed on Arden Grange with beautiful coats.

Sorry...not much help!
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by tokiayla View Post
My last GSD was a rescue at about 4 years old.
Beautiful coat.
Then he was neutered.
Straw coat.
It was horrible, never the same again, and much more difficult to groom.

Is he neutered?

I find currently that different food brands = different coat. But then I know some GSDs fed on Arden Grange with beautiful coats.

Sorry...not much help!

yes he was neutured at about 18 months, it could be related to that yes had not thought of that, thanks
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Some people say it doesn't make a difference but of all the dogs I know (a range of breeds) it has.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Have you maybe tried him with some salmon oil?

Jess's coat wasn't particularly bad, but I gave her some to supplement her raw diet, and her coat has gone really lovely, soft and shiney

Might be worth a try

Don't furminators actually cut the fur as well? Would that make it thinner and weaker? For Jess I use the miki Undercoat Rake as it only pulls the undercoat out and doesn't damage the fur on top. Might be worth seeing if a different brush could help.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post

Jess's coat wasn't particularly bad, but I gave her some to supplement her raw diet, and her coat has gone really lovely, soft and shiney

Might be worth a try

Don't furminators actually cut the fur as well? Would that make it thinner and weaker? For Jess I use the miki Undercoat Rake as it only pulls the undercoat out and doesn't damage the fur on top. Might be worth seeing if a different brush could help.
Was just going to suggest salmon oil. It is great for their coat.
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post

Might be worth a try

thanks Jen will get some
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 03:49 PM
It could be due to neutering or just age Flame's coat is coarse, thick and dry now. She also used to have a lovely silky coat. I personally think that hers is a combination of being spayed and her age (she is 8 too). She is also on AG and does have cod liver oil with her food. I don't think there is much I can do about it now, other than keep her well groomed.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
I was looking back at Zaks puppy photos yesterday, it made me realise his coat now is just awful

His coat used to be flat and smooth

it is now at the age of nearly 8 years old dry, course and seems to stick out and curl over in places. I do groom him but he hates it and has to be muzzled so its not done often, when i do do it he never looks better and its like brushing straw. I use a ferminator type tool and a plastic comb.

He is fed arden grange food.

Even after a bath its still sticks out and curls over

Any ideas whats caused this?
Have you ever considered BARF? There is no finer or better way of feeding your dog for a good coat than raw feeding ... with a cod liver oil or salmon oil supplement.

Does he smell cheesy? Is his coat dry and scurfy?
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Have you ever considered BARF? There is no finer or better way of feeding your dog for a good coat than raw feeding ... with a cod liver oil or salmon oil supplement.

Does he smell cheesy? Is his coat dry and scurfy?
yes we have considered BARF when I get my new freezer it will be possible just need to find a butcher.

just smells of dog

but yes dry and scurfy though
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >