Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2008, 08:10 PM

Cut quick when clipping nails

Hi,

Quick question. I caught the quick when clipping my dog's nails. Blood everywhere! I had some styptic powder which stopped it, but do I need to cover her foot to stop infection or anything, or just leave her to get on with it?

She did a tiny squeak, but didn't seem too fussed, and let me do the rest of her nails once I'd sorted that one out.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Hi, i done the same thing but just left Sasha to get on with it - after i stopped the bleeding. i think i felt worse than she did, thats twice i've cut the quick - methinks a lesson in nail-clipping is needed, lol!!
AiredaleKate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2008, 09:05 PM
She seems fine, and is steadily getting all her tennis balls out of the toy box and running round with them like a loony!

I've clipped hers and my other dogs nails so many times and never caught one until now. Damn those black nails!

I'll check it looks OK before taking her for a walk in the morning.

Was just shocked at how much blood came out!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

28-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Sure it will be fine . You did the right thing with the styptic pencil.
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-07-2008, 09:54 AM
She'll be fine, on occasions when i've done it and not had styptic handy i've found dipping the toe in an egg cup of cornflour usually does the trick so far as stopping bleeding is concerned.

she might get a small amount of further bleeding if she either gets it wet or goes over rough ground in the next day or so but normally it all heals up very quickly