View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2008, 04:57 PM

Any breeders on here want to help me with my homework?

You don't have to be the owner of a kennels or anything. Anyone who has bred their dog and is knowledgeable is fine.

I need to know the following things:

* What records you keep.
* On what basis did you decide to breed your dog?
*What preparations did you have to go through? Eg, vaccinations, tests, registrations, phone calls etc.
* How old are your dogs when first mated? How old was your bitch last time she had a litter?
* How do you care for them during gestation, e.g, exercise, diet.
* What pregnancy diagnosis techniques do you use?
* What signs of parturition do you look for?
* Last time your dog gave birth was any assistance needed? How many young were born?
* How did the last mating go? Where did it take place? How many times were they mated?
* What signs of oestrus did you observe?
* How do you care for the offspring during the first few hours? How do you prepare the environment etc?

I'd be so grateful if you could help me. I'm very behind on this work.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Ok here goes
Records weight, length & sex of each puppy when born then weekly weight checks & notes at that time of any distinguishing features, signs of coat colour, length etc.Also any problems signsof hernia etc, at 6 weeks vetcheck & any vet comments noted. Also note at birth of number of afterbirths.
Reasons to breed First bitch was mated nearly 60 years ago as vet recommended it. Subsequent matings have only taken place when I wanted a dog or bitch of my own to keep.
Things havechanged over the years,no tests in 50's but for last litter, had the bitch breed surveyed hip & elbows scored, & looked for stud dog scored surveyed & haemophilia tested. Alo give bitch herpes injection after mating.
All my bitches have been between 2 & 3 when mated.
During gestation I give plenty of exersise & do not vary the type or amount of food. Late in the pregnancy if the bitch is obviously carrying a heavy load her exersise is curtailed a little
With last litter used a scan for checking if bitch was in whelp.
Only sign of parturation I've found worked for all was a slight change in temperature.
At birth only help needed was in opening the sack as the puppy was born.
Last bitch mated was matedv once with a tie of 50 minutes.
10 puppies born. Have had litter sizes from 2 to 13 in my litters,
During the first few hours I keep an eye on the litter & assist if -puppies are not suckling. More help is neede with larger litter size to ensure all puppies get turns on best teats.
Can't remember any more questions. Hope this helps
Skyespirit86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2008, 07:11 PM
How many times have you bred your dogs over the years (sorry to be a pain). Thanks for the info. I'm really winging this assignment which is fine- they told me to, but I still want it to sound realistic. It's obvious when your telling porkies about something like this, coz I've never done it myself.

Oh and were your dogs KC reg?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2008, 08:55 AM
We've bred 5 litters over 54 years but I've also helped a friend with another 4 litters & helped rear a litter of 5 belonging to a man who appealed to a group I work with as his bitch had rejected the litter & kept stuffing them down the back of the arm chairs. We only successfully reared three but itwas hard work & I couldn't do it now. I was much younger then.