Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Anal gland problem with Zena now!

Well, it was inevitable, after 3 weeks of yukky, soft poo with the giardia and a year on tinned food, I suspected an anal gland problem with Zena

I noticed the metallic smell on Sunday night when I was grooming her, but it disappeared after reading that if you brush their tails up high, then let them out, usually a good poo does the trick and it seemed it did. However, I since noticed that each time she went outside, if it was a nice solid poo, she came in with her tail wagging and all was well, but now that we're back on our 2nd course of Panacur since Monday, we're also getting the big sloppy dollops of mr whippy on the top and she comes in tail between her legs looking very sorry for herself, so I knew it was time to phone the vet.

In we went, a lovely young girl thank goodness, and I popped her muzzle on after she said hello to Zena. Then the fun started, Zena screamed the place down , I was hanging on tight to that head, the poor vet was on her own the other end trying to get her job done, and Zena turned around, still screaming, then leaped sideways and we both ended up on the floor lol! She managed it though and said there was nothing nasty there, but they were definitely blocked, it could be a one off due to all the soft poo with the recent giardia, or it could be ongoing we'll just have to wait and see.

I didn't realise this was a painful process for a dog, but maybe when they're blocked it is? The good news is, even with all that screaming and pain, she never ONCE growled or went to bite the vet, and considering this is a dog who has to be muzzled for them, I consider that a real bonus! When it was over and I took the muzzle off, she went ballisticly happy, jumping up all over the place, even went over to the vet with her tail wagging happily, before dragging me back out to the car! I don't think she'll be wanting that done again in a hurry lol!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Oh no poor Zena. Thank goodness thats all over for her and you. Hopefully she will not need them doing again. Give her a hug for being such a brave girl.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks Lynn, she's really going through it atm what with another 5 days of Panacur on the cards (we're on day 3 today) and now this. I'm getting obsessed with her rear end now, but she's more than happy to let me keep checking it out lol!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Sam used to hate having them done, but it didn't seem too painful as such.

I wonder if Zena is getting a little sore from the sloppy poos?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Poor Zena, and I bet all that struggling did your back no favours either

Here's hoping that she doesn't have to have that done again any time soon, and that the runny poos sort themselves out too.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Sam used to hate having them done, but it didn't seem too painful as such.

I wonder if Zena is getting a little sore from the sloppy poos?
I might get the Vasaline out then Chris, if I can prize it off of Dave (he always seems to have a pot in his bag, but I think it's for his lips!!!). My big worry is an infection, but the vet assured me all was normal that came out of them.

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Poor Zena, and I bet all that struggling did your back no favours either

Here's hoping that she doesn't have to have that done again any time soon, and that the runny poos sort themselves out too.
Thanks Sally, the last time I heard one of my dogs screaming like this was old Cassie everytime she had her nails clipped. I felt so sorry for her, it must have hurt her, she's not a wuz (or maybe she is!!). Yes, my poor old back on the floor there trying to hold 37kgs of leaping Zena! I was more worried that she'd swing round for the vet, but there was no malice there, just pain and fear, bless her heart.

That was a really handy tip I learned via Google the other night about that tail brushing, it does work, she immediately went outside for a nice big poo afterwards! I shall remember that for future use
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I might get the Vasaline out then Chris, if I can prize it off of Dave (he always seems to have a pot in his bag, but I think it's for his lips!!!). My big worry is an infection, but the vet assured me all was normal that came out of them.

Thanks Sally, the last time I heard one of my dogs screaming like this was old Cassie everytime she had her nails clipped. I felt so sorry for her, it must have hurt her, she's not a wuz (or maybe she is!!). Yes, my poor old back on the floor there trying to hold 37kgs of leaping Zena! I was more worried that she'd swing round for the vet, but there was no malice there, just pain and fear, bless her heart.

That was a really handy tip I learned via Google the other night about that tail brushing, it does work, she immediately went outside for a nice big poo afterwards! I shall remember that for future use

Hmmm, Jimmi's stump doesn't really qualify for brushing, be it up or down Glad it works for the lovely Zena though.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Will she not let you empty them yourself?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Will she not let you empty them yourself?
Thanks but no thanks! I know how it's done having read about the 8 and 4 o'clock bit, the pushing in and up making sure you have that kitchen roll firmly clasped around the area, but in all honesty, I feared for an infection with a blockage the way it was making her so miserable, so I wanted the vet to do it. Hopefully, this'll be the end of it now and she's going to be getting some bones in her diet from now on, that should sort it.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Little One used to scream blue murder when her anal glands were checked even though Ram said it does not hurt them, and I never had problems when I did my little Griffs years ago. But with Little One I almost had to sit on her head to keep her still, so I was dreading getting Pereg's checked, especially as she is so strong.

She did not even blink, let alone need holding down!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >