View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tashuk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2006, 07:32 PM

barking at strangers (especially men - why?)

our khan barks when strangers especially men come to the house although we have invited them in can anyone explain why he does this roxy is fine with everyone
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2006, 08:44 PM
i cant give you an answer but my boys bark more at men calling to the house woman they dont bother barking at but men its a total nightmare
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Barking at strangers is his job, isn't it?

Mya barks at everyone, and I don't discourage it. It's just a dog's way of letting you know that something is "not quite right", in whatever form that may take.

I'll never get burgled in my sleep, at least

tashuk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2006, 09:05 PM
i spprecialte that he is doing his job and say goodboy when someone knocks on the door but after we have invited them in surely he should stop barking but he doesnt i dont want to discourage him from barking to alert me to danger and we have never been burgled since having him everyone around here knows khan and knows he is a big softy

tash
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Mya doesn't like strangers either, but I find it's best to just ignore the barking. She stops after a little while, and asking her to be quiet just doesn't work. Provided you can stand the racket, just ignore. As the dog grows in confidence, the barking will reduce....honest!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Sorry Tash - just realised Khan is your older GSD X - is that right? If so, can't advise at all - thought we were talking puppy/young dog
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2006, 09:08 PM
may be your dog dosent like men full stop coming in some dogs pick up vibes and take a dislike to them my boys dont like my brother in law they go crazy if they see him
tashuk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2006, 09:09 PM
he has always been like this with men i think he just doesnt like them but as we are having a party soon we dont know what to do with him when all these strangers start to turn up
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by tashuk
he has always been like this with men i think he just doesnt like them but as we are having a party soon we dont know what to do with him when all these strangers start to turn up
Is there not a neighbour or relative that could take him for the night? It'll be quite stressful for both him and you by the sounds of it.
tashuk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2006, 09:15 PM
if we cant find one we will consider hiring a hall for the party
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >