Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mysti77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2008, 06:56 PM

he bit someone today

Today we took Max for a walk in the park, he is so good off lead, comes back when called, stops in his tracks and comes back if I call him if he wants to run towards a dog. Ignores people, is really friendly to people that do say hello to him.

Then he's back on lead and we are walking home and I see my gym instructor and my boyfriend and I stop to say hi. He stoops down to say hello to Max and Max wags his tail at him for a couple of seconds. The guy looks up to talk to us, his hand still near Max and Max bit him!! He broke the skin and all! I was mortified and my boyfriend was really angry about it. I have a behaviourist coming tomorrow (this was pre booked before this incident).

I just feel like I can't believe this has happened. What am I doing wrong!? He has been aggressive in the past (growl/snap) but not like this. I do admit when the gym instructor stooped down I got a little nervous like I had a feeling something was going to happen but before I could say or do anything it just happened!

He's a little dog thank goodness but I don't think this is excusable. I feel like such a terrible person and like I've failed as his owner. I don't even know if my boyfriend will ever like my dog again, he's only been with us for a month and a half and he was just telling me last night that he was beginning to fall in love with him.

I'm just so upset and I don't know what to do
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Oh dear...I real feel for you. How old is the dog? Is he a rescue?

I hope things go well with the behaviourist tomorrow.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Oh dear - i hope things go well with the behaviourist, and i really hope you have chosen a qualified one who uses only positive methods and doesn't advice shaking a can at him, squirting water at him or dominating him. If they do, then please be very very wary and get a second opinion.
mysti77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2008, 07:17 PM
He was 7 years old in March. I had him from when he was 6 months old but he was taken from a place where he was not being cared for and his mother was killed by two dogs while she was out looking for food. I moved away when he was nearly 4 years old and only now got him to move to England with me a month and a half ago.

He was going to puppy classes when I got him and was kicked by someone and since then he would bark/growl/snap when on lead but is fine in the house and off lead and has not had any incidents off lead.

I spoke to the behaviourist tonight and she said that i need to muzzle him from now on when he is on or off lead.
mysti77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Oh dear - i hope things go well with the behaviourist, and i really hope you have chosen a qualified one who uses only positive methods and doesn't advice shaking a can at him, squirting water at him or dominating him. If they do, then please be very very wary and get a second opinion.
I will definately not advocate anyone that uses those methods because I believe he is fear aggressive and I can tell when he is off lead and is wary of another dog he will stand completely still and look at me for to see my reaction. Once he sees me calm he will proceed towards the dog. I think if the behaviourist wants to use negative methods it will make matters worse.

I did call around a few people and ended up with one of the more expensive ones but because she sounded very positive and her tone of voice on the phone very 'dog friendly' I picked her. I was referred to Robert Alleyne but after looking online at a Dog Borstal video clip I didn't think it was a good idea at all. I also spoke to another lady and she seemed a little too unfriendly on the phone so I ruled her out as well.

I'm just praying that something can be done

Thanks for your support
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Just wanted to say good luck with the behaviourist tomorrow
mysti77
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks Nippy, really appreaciate it.

Just need to feel a little better tonight, I feel so negative.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by mysti77 View Post
Thanks Nippy, really appreaciate it.

Just need to feel a little better tonight, I feel so negative.
I'm sure you do
Lets hope you can get to the bottom of it tomorrow and work through any "issues"
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by mysti77 View Post
I will definately not advocate anyone that uses those methods because I believe he is fear aggressive and I can tell when he is off lead and is wary of another dog he will stand completely still and look at me for to see my reaction. Once he sees me calm he will proceed towards the dog. I think if the behaviourist wants to use negative methods it will make matters worse.

I did call around a few people and ended up with one of the more expensive ones but because she sounded very positive and her tone of voice on the phone very 'dog friendly' I picked her. I was referred to Robert Alleyne but after looking online at a Dog Borstal video clip I didn't think it was a good idea at all. I also spoke to another lady and she seemed a little too unfriendly on the phone so I ruled her out as well.

I'm just praying that something can be done

Thanks for your support
Excellent, really good to hear that you shopped around first. Unfortunately so many people seem to be able to set themselves up as behaviourist with a dangerously small amount of knowledge.

Good luck tomorrow, and hope all goes well and he will soon be on the way to becoming a more confident happy dog.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I would say KEEP him on a lead until you get this sorted out..do not let him run free..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >