Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Dog groomer badly cut dog

Hi,
I am posting this on behalf of my sister in law, I hope that's okay??

My S-I-L has a young yorkie, very teeny , but an absolute angel She wanted her tidied up for Christmas,as she brushed against some wet paint last week, so my bother in his panic trimmed the paint pieces off She had been told that this groomer was excellent and several people knew her, all said the same. She is one of those grooming franchises, that turn up with the van and mobile dog washing thingy.

She booked her yorkie in for the full works, wash , dry trimmed nails etc, tidy up the mess my brother had done

The groomer asked SIL to leave the dog with her as they can act up if owner is there, and my SIL said she seemed happy with the groomer. So she went back indoors, a little while later the groomer knocked the door with the dog , it was bleeding underneath, my SIL checked and the groomer had taken a large flap of skin off the inside of her thigh
Now my SIL was more concerned with her dog than arguing, so rang her vets and took her dog straight in where the flap had to be stitched, the dog sedated and given some antibiotics

She phoned the groomer that night and told her what the vet said and did, and said her vet was sending her the bill. now the groomer is saying she will only pay the excess on my SIL bill, but I think she should pay the lot. she has caused this.
Her excuse was she isn't used to tiny dogs!!!!!and the skin is so fragile she just slipped???

I have never groomed a dog like this only trimmed my own yetis when they needed it. But surely if you qualify as a dog groomer, a lot of your clients must be small breeds,a s they are the ones that often need trimming.

I just wondered is it normal for a groomer to badly cut a dog. I know that little nicks may happen occassionally I suppose, but my SIL and the vet think that the trimmer must of actually gone into the leg
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 01:18 PM
Well, considering this groomer is running a business, then she should be covered by her insurance Public Liability, Employer's Liability etc. etc. and she should darn well pay the whole amount no quibbles!! If she won't then take it further, much further, she is acting against the law!!!!! These things MUST be covered for all eventualities when you run a legitimate business! Threaten her with taking Court Action, ask her if she has Public Liability Insurance and if not then definitely tell her you will be taking matters further, well your sil will anyway, I hope!

Poor little doglet. Keep every single vet bill too, and everything you've got from this mad woman who thinks she's a groomer! Ihave my doubts!

I used to clip people's horses and never, ever, did anything like that, and I only did it for FREE and used my clippers!!! This is awful imo. Hope the doggy is ok though.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Well, considering this groomer is running a business, then she should be covered by her insurance Public Liability, Employer's Liability etc. etc. and she should darn well pay the whole amount no quibbles!! If she won't then take it further, much further, she is acting against the law!!!!! These things MUST be covered for all eventualities when you run a legitimate business! Threaten her with taking Court Action, ask her if she has Public Liability Insurance and if not then definitely tell her you will be taking matters further, well your sil will anyway, I hope!

Poor little doglet. Keep every single vet bill too, and everything you've got from this mad woman who thinks she's a groomer! Ihave my doubts!
I totally agree, keep at it. Hope the Yorkie fully recovers from this.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post

I used to clip people's horses and never, ever, did anything like that, and I only did it for FREE and used my clippers!!! This is awful imo. Hope the doggy is ok though.
Thanks for the reply, I didn't think it was normal tbh.
My SIL has given her a week to pay the bill, or told her she will be seeking legal advice,plus she has told everyone she can think of what this woman did aswell.

The leg is okay, but obviously the poor thing has to wear a lampshade collar to stop nibbling at her stitches The blade must of gone in her leg as it left a flap of skin which hung down. I thought dog groomers had to have qualifications, and to say she doesn't do many small dogs seems crazy. I would of though dog grooming had loads of smaller dogs to do.

The dog is still her normal funny self, for a small'un she has a big dog attitude .
Luna Wolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-12-2007, 01:31 PM
I started out as a dog groomer (many years ago) and there is no excuse for cutting a dog that badly! The trouble is often these so called groomers do a two week course and then set up business. I trained as an apprentice with a wonderful lady who had been grooming for years. There is so much to learn, so many breeds and it takes time and experience to be able to handle the dogs properly and safely. This kind of thing makes me really angry!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Proper clippers couldn't possibly do that!! They can "nick" yes, but not take a whole chunk of skin out, that's impossible with clippers??!!! I'm thinking she actually used something else, maybe a barber's razor or something to clean all the fine hairs from the dog's groin, and maybe the dog moved or something, doesn't bear thinking about does it!!! Get on to the Trading Standards people too, they'd be very, very interested in this one!!! They will also tell you if they have this person on their records, be it good or bad!! I can't believe what this woman has done to that poor little dog, awwwww, such an unnecessary trauma for the poor little thing. What was the haircut like??? Professional or not??? Just interested to know.
running cloud
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Your sil could always contact the Franchise people and check out what insurance these people should have and if she is uninsured take her to the cleaners!!!Hope doggie gets better soon x
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 01:49 PM
The poor wee soul! My best mate was a groomer for years and there's no way that she should have been able to cut the poor wee thing that badly. I'd push it for all the bills to be paid and threaten her with the papers. There is just no excuse at all
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Well, she didn't finish trimming her so the poor thing looked no tidier. My SIL MUM has had a few yorkies, so she has now tidied her up she didn't want to do it originally because she was scared of making a mess of it.Now, my SIL wishes she had done it in the first place.
It just shows that anybody can easily set up and business like this, the dog may of wriggled, but surely that is part of being a groomer

TBH I don't know what she used on the dog, but I have seen the skin and it was a flap, like something had caught and dug in?Maybe scissors???
They were more concerned with the dogs health, but now they have had chance to settle down , they have decided that they will pursue this, and are going to get in touch with the franchise too.This all happened on Friday.

Thank you all for your good wishes and iI will pass on the advice too
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 03:20 PM
What a terrible thing to happen to the poor little yorkie. I have always clipped my own dogs and have never been shown how to go it properly, but have never, never done anything like this. It seems she didnt take any care at all. It must have been so painful for the poor little mite. Hope he feels better soon. It could put him off of clippers for life.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >