Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Rescue dogs

Rescued dogs....... Now I'm hoping I,m getting the hang of this as I,m a newbie. It,s just been suggested that I put some of my chats on rescued and General dogs, so here goes. I,ve always had rescue dogs or more to the point Border Collie rescues. I spent 14 years working for the RSPCA as an cruelty Co-ordinator, however we do Fostering children now, but thats mainly because I grew sick of the lack of powers organisations have, the Laws need to be seriously changed on some of those people (in my view) who are cruel. Anyway lets not get started on that, I own Reah, an ex cruelty case who,s previous owner thought if he left her with 3 broken legs, a smashed pelvis and serious nerve damage, she would heal by herself. Reah was finally brought in to us to be PTS but I pleaded for her (because she was fighting to live) it took car boot sales, sponsered walks, raffle tickets, TV (she was on the news 3 days running) Radio and Big Breakfast (once she could walk)
and now she if a stunner. Skye our young girl came off a farm and Reah,s taught her alot. B4 that we had Meg from 2 days old and handreared her (her mother was set on fire by the owners boyfriend in an arguement) I had Meg 20yrs (Also a BC) If anyone is doubtful about taking rescues my advice would be DO IT, Once you,ve found that dog it will reward you with love 10 fold.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi Stevie, lovely to hear about your rescued dogs but so sorry that Reah had to suffer so much before coming to you. Three out of my four dogs are rescued, in fact ,most of the dogs I have ever owned have been rescued, I particularly like older dogs, they are so rewarding. I will never buy another puppy, age and health issues are against me on that score but then again there are so many deserving dogs in rescue that I could give a home to if I wanted another dog. many people are of the impression that rescued dogs are 'someone elses problems', that's not necessarily the case, some do have issues, but most just require a new start in life.

Now lets see some piccys of your pets.........Karen
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi Karen, Yea your right rescues are good. Reah at the moment is trying desperately to hide under the computer table she,s disguised as a red dressing gown (still some fireworks being let off) and she stays quiet if covered up. She has a couple of issues, one is she hates going out in the dark, infact she rarely does, she won,t get out of the car if you pull over in laybys (makes me think she been dropped off somewhere) and won,t willingly approach ginger haired men. The man who originally owned was ginger. Would love to take another, hubby has agreed, sometime after xmas we just don,t know what breed (I only go for BC,s and he wants different. Will let him have his way as it will be his. Heehee Skye was to be his but she,s a mommies girl too, but then I,m home all day
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Tries pic,s Im no good at this. My son will be coming over next week he,s going to do it.............promise
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Lovely to hear that your girls have ended up with such a loving home after such a bad start in life. It always astounds me that after being so harshly treated they are still willing to love and, I think, prove the most loyal of dogs.

Looking forward to seeing some pics when you work out how to do it
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

10-11-2007, 12:25 PM
You are doing a great job with your dogs and I too look forward to seing some pics of them.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2007, 07:49 PM
hi

yes if only there were more people like you out there stevie . it never stops shocking me ,the things you read and hear obout ,just how cruel people can be to such loveing animals ,it really dos outrage me , my willow is scared stiff of men she really is there is deff a story there ,she was a rescue ,she has brought me so much love ,i couldnt be with out her she is priceless . it is strange how the people who had her previously let her down big time ,yet i would do any think in my power to keep this lovely girl happy and safe , who know what makes people so diffrent ill never know .
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Poor willow. Glad she is in safe hands now I hope one day she'll feel alittle better with men. Reah's ok now with men (No growling) but she never willingly goes up to men in the street. Often I get asked if she can be stroked ( thinks thats because she has distinctive markings and it attracts peoples attention) I always say yes, but I notice that if it's a man she will still move her head to the side just as they are about to stroke her, but at least she doesn't go for them now like she did when I first took her on
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Poor willow. Glad she is in safe hands now I hope one day she'll feel alittle better with men. Reah's ok now with men (No growling) but she never willingly goes up to men in the street. Often I get asked if she can be stroked ( thinks thats because she has distinctive markings and it attracts peoples attention) I always say yes, but I notice that if it's a man she will still move her head to the side just as they are about to stroke her, but at least she doesn't go for them now like she did when I first took her on
:smt002 good job people like us are out there and willing ,to go that extra mile to make up for all the cruel people :smt002
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2007, 05:31 PM
I have to agree with you, the reward you get from rescuing is enormous, all bar one of my dogs has been rescue, and Jack by far has been the most difficult, but not the worse treated, he had been beaten up, thrown across the room had lighters flaired up in his face, when we first got him, all we had to do was move suddenly and his tail would go between his legs his back arch he'd cower away from us and wet himself, then shoot off upstairs and it would be a couple of hours before we could persuade him to come down, now he's a completly different dog, the only problem that he still has is a fear of being crowded by dogs, then he gets nasty especially when they are around his head, but we're working on it, and he's slowly making progress, but just to see his happy face now is so rewarding, no money in the world could buy that feeling

So sorry to hear about poor Reahs past, but at least now she has a happy loving home she's lucky to have found you, lucky she's had you to fight in her corner for her what I wouldn't give to get my hands on the thugs that have done this to these poor dogs who's only aim in life is to please.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >