Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Hi Shona,

As Mini has mentioned, this could be diabetes. My friend has an Irish Setter that was drinking buckets of water at a time, she was terrified that she was going to give herself bloat. From memory I think it was a blood test and urine sample that gave the correct diagnosis - diabetes. Her medication is eye drops!! They have to be kept in the fridge and she has them in one eye one day and the other the next, I'm not sure why they alternate, there must be a reason. Jill said that the drinking stopped the very same day as she gave Tia the drops.

I've got everything crossed for your lad.

Sheree xx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-07-2007, 07:56 PM
If you can get a sample it would save a bit of time at the vets.
Kidney failure can be found through urine and blood samples.
My mums old dog had kidney failure, they said low protein,no treats, no biscuits just the correct perscription food.
She was put on the hill KD for kidney problems but you can get it wet or dry.

If it is they may need to flush his system, by putting him on fluids to give his kidneys a kick start.
Emma kidneys settled and with the right diet and management was stable for a good few years, she was still stable when they lost her due to cancer.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi Shona.
Try not to worry too much. Mo was drinking an incredible amount not so long ago and then had dodgy liver function results...the vet was worried. He then had a bout of gastroenteritis and was put on heavy duty AB's....since then his drinking has subsided...the vet thinks he must have a had an infection going on in his urinary tract.

Take a urine sample and try to get one first thing in the morning. They will test to see how dilute his urine is, so if he is drinking too much (if you see what I mean). Drinking a lot on its own doesn't mean you are going to lose him.
Hugs. xxxxxx
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Hi Shona, Just sending you big {{{{{Hugs}}}}} as you've already been given very good advice. Can't add anything and it would be wrong for me to take a guess...I'm not a vet and only a vet could make a diagnosis. Hopefully it'll be one of the less serious reasons. Keeping everything crossed for you XX
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 01:46 AM
Just checked how much the contaner holds, and its a good 14 pints, he is not drinking it all there is about an inch and a half left so I reconed he is drinking anything from 10 to 12 pints a day,
I cant find the thermometer, could be a blessing as if he is not showing any rise in temp I would prob just go off on one again,,,,,

Thanks so much everyone, just had a check on him, hes snoring away, gave him his super about an hour and a half ago, the problem with first thing in the morning urine sample is he lives outside, he has access to his run 24 / 7 with the amount of weeing he is doing I would not be keen to lock him in, his kennel is not really desinged to be shut compleatly, he would hate it, it does have a stable door, but he would just jump out if I shut the bottom bit, royce having all the grace of a hipo jumping, Well I just couldnt do it to him,
I could bring him in but he would hate that too, more so if he needed to wee all the time, I guess leaving the back door open would help but it still defeats the purpose in the first place, I will get a sample when we are on route to the vet, he {being a stud dog} and a male will give me plenty of oppertunity to collect one, he pees all the time if he can get away with it,
again thanks so much, will let you all know how it goes
shona x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Shona there are loads of reasons for a dog drinking a lot, try not to worry yet. My Border did it, went through over £500 of tests, to come back with the diagnosis "Psyhcogenic Polydipsia" meaning? he likes to drink water!

Best of luck.
Dawn.
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Hey, Like everyone else has said theres loads of reason why a dog starts drinking more water than usual, so dont panic especially if hes only drinking more water, Hopefully all will be fine (((((hugs))))) and some for royce ((((hugs))))

oh and kodi sends his love too
(he got all excited when he heard your voice on a vid from one of our walks)
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Sorry Shona, no advice of help to give, just wanted to say hope everything goes well at the vets today.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

20-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Hope the vet will give you good news. Sorry I can't give advice but don't think the worst. I am sure it will be OK. Take care and big hugs to you both. xx
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Hi Shona,

Hope that Royce gets on ok at the vets today

Hugs xx
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »