View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:03 PM
who wants my address then you can all prosecute,i think there are more ppl that would have posted the same as i did only to be told by countless ppl i can be prosecuted is that if i vaccinate them on the uk part of the yard.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 07:44 PM
I knew there would be something in writing somewhere !

Relating to UK law :

http://www.natural-animal-health.co.uk/whocan.htm

Animal Treatment Laws

The Law in the UK is very clear about who can, and can't, treat animals and there are pitfalls that anyone considering having any kind of treatment given to their animals should be aware of...

You, and anyone treating your animal, may risk prosecution if you don't get it right!

For more detailed information see the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeon's

So... who CAN legally treat an animal?

You - subject to the Protection of Animals Act 1911 you as the OWNER of the animal can give whatever treatment you want to your animal. That is, any treatment that does not involve intrusion into the animal's body. For example you are not entitled by Law to give your animal an injection. You are only able to give an injection if instructed to do so by your vet.

Irish Law :

http://www.ireland-information.com/r.../legalsys.html

The Irish State - Legal System
Irish law is based on Common Law as modified by subsequent legislation and by the Constitution of 1937. Statutes passed by the British parliament before 1921 have the force of law unless repealed by the Irish Parliament.

-----------------------------

I`m no lawyer but I would assume in the UK section that being instructed to give an injection would be for something like diabetes but I doubt it would be a defence in law to say a vet told someone to vaccinate by themselves unregulated and as has been mentioned, certificates would not be valid for kennels, insurance, pet pasport, you name it.

Personally, even if it were legal, [ which it is in some countries apparently ], I think that as my vet trained for many years in animal medicine and I have`nt, he`s the one who should be giving jabs to my crew, not me

PS, I havent posted this as a critisism of anyone, just wanted to post the facts as they stand !
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
its not money its convenience
Or put another way. Laziness.

Sorry but convenience is no replacement for experience.

Concerning cattle etc, they are all covered by FAWC (Farm Animal Welfare Council) and no farmer would be allowed to do anything that was in breach of it's rules, and as your boxer does not come under those regulation you need to have the vaccinations done by a vet.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-06-2007, 08:25 PM
You are right many farmers and horsey people,keep a supply of drugs in their medicine box, pain relief /antibiotic. a vet like a doctor is not allowed to give out priscription drugs for clients to self medicate..

the whole point of vaccination (apart from the health issue) is that you get a vet to do it, who in turn will sign a vaccination card, this giving you a clear cut record of your pets history, whether it be horse/dog /cat..... if as you say you vaccinate your own dogs, who`s signature goes on the record card?? it will mean iether the vets signs something he had not witnessed, or you have to forge a signiture (not you personally) just generalizing...
so it becomes fraud.... and unscrupulous.... would you buy a pup /dog from someone who vaccintates their own dogs, how do you know if they have done the job properly, or at all.

how do you know your dog is in good health before you vaccinate?

if you are not a vet , you can only guess if said dog/pup is healthy enough to vaccinate.....

I cant understand the logic of wanting to do the job your self..... and yes I have given my horses their shot of antibiotics, when needed, but they have been prescribed by the vet, to administer, this is normal practice....in the horse/farming world...but I have never known a vet to just dish out vaccines to clients at will. he is taking a big risk of someone reporting him/her, and facing a malpractice suit.

I doubt many people on here would vaccinate their own dogs, or for that matter find a vet who will allow them to.... not a vet i would like as my own.

I thought you lived in Northen Ireland, not the south? which is part of the UK, although I would think the same will go for the South.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:26 PM
So it's not illegal if you are directed by a vet, which I assume was put in place as I mentioned earlier so people could treat their animals at home if they need regular injections.
I know for microchipping you can only be 'qualified' if you have been instructed/trained by a vet.
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

I thought you lived in Northen Ireland, not the south? which is part of the UK, although I would think the same will go for the South.
According to what I found, [ post 32 ], unless Laws on people injecting their own dogs other than on direction of a vet has been repealed as per the info, it appears to be the same for Southern Ireland as UK law [ as much as I can tell as a total layman just going off info found and for which I am open to correction of course :smt001 ].
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

09-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
So it's not illegal if you are directed by a vet, which I assume was put in place as I mentioned earlier so people could treat their animals at home if they need regular injections.
I know for microchipping you can only be 'qualified' if you have been instructed/trained by a vet.
Becky

the difference here will be , these drugs will have been priscribed, the treatment will have gone dowm on record...in some cases the owner will have been taught to administer an injection, it will all be above board.

giving vaccines out to people to give when and where they they want, without a vet checking the health of the animal, not seeing which animal is receiving the vaccine, cannot be ethical, or legal.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I knew there would be something in writing somewhere !

Relating to UK law :

http://www.natural-animal-health.co.uk/whocan.htm

Animal Treatment Laws

The Law in the UK is very clear about who can, and can't, treat animals and there are pitfalls that anyone considering having any kind of treatment given to their animals should be aware of...

You, and anyone treating your animal, may risk prosecution if you don't get it right!

For more detailed information see the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeon's

So... who CAN legally treat an animal?

You - subject to the Protection of Animals Act 1911 you as the OWNER of the animal can give whatever treatment you want to your animal. That is, any treatment that does not involve intrusion into the animal's body. For example you are not entitled by Law to give your animal an injection. You are only able to give an injection if instructed to do so by your vet.

Irish Law :

http://www.ireland-information.com/r.../legalsys.html

The Irish State - Legal System
Irish law is based on Common Law as modified by subsequent legislation and by the Constitution of 1937. Statutes passed by the British parliament before 1921 have the force of law unless repealed by the Irish Parliament.

-----------------------------

I`m no lawyer but I would assume in the UK section that being instructed to give an injection would be for something like diabetes but I doubt it would be a defence in law to say a vet told someone to vaccinate by themselves unregulated and as has been mentioned, certificates would not be valid for kennels, insurance, pet pasport, you name it.

Personally, even if it were legal, [ which it is in some countries apparently ], I think that as my vet trained for many years in animal medicine and I have`nt, he`s the one who should be giving jabs to my crew, not me

PS, I havent posted this as a critisism of anyone, just wanted to post the facts as they stand !
Brilliant post. very informative.

Well done you for clearing up the legal inplecations.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

09-06-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
According to what I found, [ post 32 ], unless Laws on people injecting their own dogs other than on direction of a vet has been repealed as per the info, it appears to be the same for Southern Ireland as UK law [ as much as I can tell as a total layman just going off info found and for which I am open to correction of course :smt001 ].
I cant see it mattering where a vet practices, it is not ethical, and I cant see many vets putting all their hard yrs of training into jeopardy, for something like this.
Meg
Supervisor

10-06-2007, 09:18 AM
I was not aware people are allowed to vaccinate their own dogs years ago I was permitted by the vet to give injections to dogs for a number of reasons (medication for sick dogs ) but never to vaccinate.

Batches of vaccination are strictly regulated and must be kept in suitable conditions at the correct temperature, it is essential their use is carefully monitored and that any adverse reactions are noted and the data collated for reference purposes.

Vaccinations need to be handled with great care. In the 1980s ParvoVirus a new and deadly disease appeared not just in one place but worldwide, where did it come from? There are no definitive answers as to the origins of ParvoVirus, some experts say it was caused by a mutant cat distemper virus, I have also seen mention of the fact that a faulty batch of cat vaccination could have been the cause of the initial outbreak of parvo, this would also account for it appearing worldwide rather than just isolated incidents.

Many years ago in the 1920s/30s when vaccination was in its infancy, it is thought a faulty batch of distemper vaccine was used with disastrous consequences (although this was never made public). My friend bred Irish Setters at the time, her puppies newly vaccinated against distemper developed dreadful sores and their skin literally fell off, they all had to be PTS. This was not an isolated incident and other breeders experienced similar problems.

This is not intended as a criticism of anyone who states their vet allows them to vaccinate their own dogs but I think if is not already the law that only vets administer canine vaccination then it should be, the incorrect handling of vaccinations can have serious implications for all our pets.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »