Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2006, 08:55 AM

Beware danger of asthma inhalers left about

I can now post about this as there is a good ending,

The other day Savannah managed to get hold of my asthma inhaler and destroyed it, in doing this she ingested the stuff inside, she became very lethargic, so I called the vets, the vet doubted wether she had actually inhaled the gas as it exited the little pressurised cannister, but I said she is not herself so she must have gotten some of it, the vet although polite gave me the impression I was being a bit over worried for something or nothing, but I left with the instructions that if there are any further developements apart from the "depressed" attitude then I am to get back on the phone to them again. so about an hour later, she was lay on the floor and her whole body was shaking with every heart beat, I could actually see her heart beating very very fast, then her front legs sort of shook, and her under belly which is still like a puppies (not too much hair) went bright pink on further investigation all her skin was this colour, so I phoned the vets and they said to get her to the emergency office straight away as they have more equipment there, so off we go, I drove like a bat out of hell. I get to the emergency vets, and the vet takes us in straight away, check Savannah heart and said yes it was too rapid and that she needs to be admitted and put on fluids and have bloods taken to check her potassium, if that drops too far she is in real trouble, so I had to leave her in their hands, I was worried to death, but thanksfully tonight I got her back, she has shaved patches on her leg from the IV etc, but boy she was as glad to see me as I was to see her. the vet told me that I was right to bring her in the way I did as it was life threatening, and her potassium did drop quite a lot which effects the heart, but thankfully she has come through, and no lasting damage. I have only been able to post this now as I didnt think she would pull through and I didnt want to jinx her chances. so tonight she gets special priveledges and gets to sit next to me on the sofa.

Mo
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2006, 09:02 AM
Aww poor Savannah

Glad everything ended the way i did

Give her a hug from me
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Goodness So very, very pleased that she is ok now. And thank you for posting the warning.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2006, 09:22 AM
OMG poor you & Savannah, gladshe is recovering well.
Thanks for the warning, my little boy has asthma inhalers and numerous occassions have seen them lying around his room, not put away. I will warn him of this now. Cheers Mo.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2006, 10:14 AM
OMG Mo what a worry for you. Thank goodness it has a happy ending and thanks for posting the warning. It's something you probably don't think about.
Our fur babies certainly give us cause for worry don't they?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2006, 10:40 AM
I think complacancy is to fault here, as I had the inhaler for some time, and used regulary, you tend to forget they can be very harmful to animals, I didnt for one minute think she would chew it, it was on my bookcase shelf, and I think what may have happened, while I was out front cleaning out my van, the two younger ones may have been playing rough knocked the bookcase and it fell down? give her the opportunity to grab it and go and have what she must have thought was fun.

Mo
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2006, 10:46 AM
I am glad to hear Savannah is ok after chewing the inhaler

Poor you I bet you were worried sick, sounds to me like you need some special privilages
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2006, 11:24 AM
OMG Mo, this could have turned out so differently. Delighted Savanna is ok
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2006, 11:47 AM
So glad he is ok Thanks for the Warning
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran