View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 11:41 AM

What is this all about? (Stating how you want your rescue Siberian husky to look)

I am a little confused (its not hard I know) but I have just seen an advertisement from somebody looking for a rescue Siberian husky, it stated that the sibe must be red and white and have blue eyes, now surely when you are looking to rescue an animal you do not state what it must look like? Correct me if I am wrong but i thought you chose a dog on its temperament? I understand that people may want to rescue a certain breed but to say it must have a certain colour or blue eyes is rediculous surely? Please tell me I am right? Cause I just emailed the advertiser with what I am saying to you now If I was a dog rescue and was looking to rehome my Siberian husky who is red and white with blue eyes that would be the last person I would let it go to, surely if they want a Sibe that looks exactly how they want then they should pay for it or did i waste my money on purchasing my Sibes, should i have just advertised for a rescue with the looks I want? You will notice that neither of mine have blue eyes and their colouring was not a choice I had to make either, they really chose me. I am pretty sure that all of the people i know on here chose their sibes because it was the right one for them, I absolutely hate people who demand that dogs look a certain way, these are the people who end up getting rid of their animals because they dont behave in a certain way or dont match the colour of the new carpet.

Sorry it is so long, (thats even if you got this far) it just annoys me, my breeder turned away anyone who asked for blue eyes even though two of their litter did, sometimes I think people are just looking for a dog as a fashion accessory and I hate that!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Quite agree with all you have said.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I couldn't agree with you more Donna, in Boxer Rescue we frequently get asked for a specific colour, usually a red or a brindle. The last thing we take into consideration is the colour of the dog, the most important thing is the temperament of the dog, what it's requirements are and what it has been used to. We then look at our list of potential owners and see if we can match the right dog to the right home. It may be that people will wait a long time for the right dog to be needing a home. I don't mind if people prefer a dog or bitch but the colour is definately not important, nor is the presence or lack of tail.

Sometimes people are even more specific about the dogs markings, wanting a dog with flashy white markings and white only so far up the forelegs. I'm afraid I tell them to go to a breeder and get exactly what they want, they are not good enough for one of my rescue dogs. It is even more infuriating when they say that they don't want to pay £500-£600 for a puupy so are ringing us instead. Our dogs are not second best to any puppy. We are not in rescue to save people money. We are asked for rescue dogs that mustn't be over a year old, and some even have the nerve to ask for a dog to breed from. All our dogs are neutered by the way, and micro-chipped. They are also wormed, frontlined and vaccinated. They all go with a new collar, two new dishes and a weeks free food to help them on their way - how many other rescues do that. We are also at the other end of the phone if we are needed. What more could we do for our dogs.

Our dogs are assessed in one of our foster homes before being placed and I never put a dog straight into a new home from the old home. Relinqhuishers don't always tell the truth when they are handing in their dogs. It is not our policy to re-home a biter. Rescue is very hard work and for no pay!!!
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Wow Novavizz, alot of work goes into what you do, you should be proud of yourself I would love to work in a rescue but know that I couldn't because I am super super sensitive, I cry at the Rspca/dogs trust adverts, could you imagine a blubbering fool trying to clean up mess or feed dogs? Wow you are super super special
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 12:38 PM
I think they will be hard pushed to get a red/white with blue eyes anyway..

As far as I know most reds have brown/amber eyes..

But yes you are right... temprements are most important..

I woulnd't give them ANY dog.. never mind a husky
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Donna&Zuki
Wow Novavizz, alot of work goes into what you do, you should be proud of yourself I would love to work in a rescue but know that I couldn't because I am super super sensitive, I cry at the Rspca/dogs trust adverts, could you imagine a blubbering fool trying to clean up mess or feed dogs? Wow you are super super special
Thank you Donna for that compliment, we don't see rescue as something special, just something that needs to be done. And don't think we don't cry, we do, frequently. Sometimes there are things to be done and, quite frankly, we just don't feel like doing them, but if we don't do it no-one else will. It is the super, super sensitive people like you that should be doing rescue because they are the ones that care. There has been many times when I have sadi that I have had enough but then another dog comes along and off you go again. You obviously know your breed, why not offer to do homechecks for Sibe rescue, they might be really grateful for your help. You have already shown your concern for your breed by taking notice of the ridiculous advert. I wouldn't have thought Sibe rescue would even reply to that ad.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz
Thank you Donna for that compliment, we don't see rescue as something special, just something that needs to be done. And don't think we don't cry, we do, frequently. Sometimes there are things to be done and, quite frankly, we just don't feel like doing them, but if we don't do it no-one else will. It is the super, super sensitive people like you that should be doing rescue because they are the ones that care. There has been many times when I have sadi that I have had enough but then another dog comes along and off you go again. You obviously know your breed, why not offer to do homechecks for Sibe rescue, they might be really grateful for your help. You have already shown your concern for your breed by taking notice of the ridiculous advert. I wouldn't have thought Sibe rescue would even reply to that ad.
I never though of that, what a great idea, i will get straight on to Sibe welfare on monday and offer my services. In fact I may even offer to foster in this area because I dont know of one near me at all (when the building work is finished), Thanks Novavizz you have given me a way in which I can help
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2006, 07:01 PM
You are right in what you said donna, i am waiting patiently to be offered a male sibe from siberian husky rescue, i will be matched to a dog suitable to me & my girlies & i don't care what colour it is, just want to give a sibe a new start in life, i don't think any sibe rescue will be interested in that persons ad for a sibe red/ white with blue eyes.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2006, 11:22 AM
just wanted to say that i agree with all you have said, however did go to staffie rescue in my mind wanting a red staffie , good with other dogs, but came away with bruno the horror with other dogs, with black brindle and white colouring - and the most gorgeous dog ever !!!!

So sometimes what someone might be thinking of might completely change when they actually get round to the nitty gritty of rehoming !!

I am so glad I ended up with my black brindle and white little terror !!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Something I have come across a lot from people wanting a rescue dog [ or cat ], is those hoping to find one looking as much as possible like a beloved companion which has passed away, which can be heartbreaking I think if they do find what they are looking for but then realise that the personality and special little quirks in the one they have lost are simply not there in the new one.

I am just wondering though, [ instincts kicking in which may be wrong of course ], if the people placing the ad have had their dog stolen or its missing, and they are trying to get a dog-thief or finder to approach them to `sell` or make contact because of having a dog with them recently which magically matches up to the `specs`, as its so specific ?

Just something about it which makes me wonder if thats a possibility ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >