Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 05:13 PM

Rehoming rescue dogs - advice! :D

Hey could anyone experienced in placing rescue dogs offer me some advice?

In the rescue thread you see a lab x that I am rehoming. I think we have found someone but she has a 4 year old child. I don't know this dog at all yet - but I have it on good authority that he is friendly but nervous - was probably very badly abused poor chap.

Anyway - I was plannning to keep him with us for a week to watch him and see how he gets on - as I would be mortified if anything happened after he had been rehomed - to injure himself or his new owners. i need to make sure I get things right, and can't afford to make mistakes.

Can anyone offer me any really good positive advice on how to go about rehoming him, and making sure he goes to a good home, and that he isn't put into a position where anyone is at risk?

thanks so much all.

xx
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-09-2005, 05:45 PM
If they've shown interest in that dog, can you take him there for a visit ?

Home visit with dog, if you like!

That way, you can see how the dog interacts with the family (and vice-versa) and at the same time check out what they have to offer the dog.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 05:47 PM
yes i would definately like to home visit. the person who wants him is a friend so I know her and her son and what they can offer etc. That side isn't too much of a problem. It's knowing exactly what the warning signs are that a dog isn't suited to someone for one rason or another?

thanks

xx
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2005, 05:58 PM
This is a topic close to my heart, as we were turned down for a rescue because we had a young child and were unable to find a local rescue prepared to consider us for that reason

I don;t think you can tell in a few days, or even weeks, a dogs true character which is why so many rescues have a blanet "no young children" policy I know some of the bigger rescues do assess their dogs, but even this takes a few weeks, as the dog becomes confident in the environment.

I suppose it depends if the family are dog-experienced or not. I would be wary about homing a nervous dog with a young child that is not dog experienced; I would consider them suitable as a home for a different dog though - maybe a young dog that has been used to (but not abused by) children?

If the family are dog experienced though and the child is dog-familiar (and doesn't have to be "taught" how to behave) then IMO they are just as suitable as any other family with or without children to rehome a dog which is slightly nervous or shy

Good luck with the homecheck!
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Oh thank you! that was very helpful! Yes the family (mother and son) are dog experienced - in that they have always had dogs of a similar size/breed etc. The mother has had dogs always and loves them very much., The son is a sweet little chap and appears very well behaved around animals - and i feel he would be fine - but it only has to go wrong once - but I really don't want to turn perfectly good owners down just because one of them is younger! lol - I relaly want to do what's right for all here. I will also have a strict return policy - if there's the slightest hint of trouble - I will take the chap back in moments!

xx
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 08:58 PM
It can take a number of weeks before a dog shows any aggression towards children or adults. Once they start to settle into family life, thier true colours start to show. I've took on rescue's all of my adult life, and don't regret one minute of it.

See how the child and dog interact over a period of time. If you have any doubts at all, then don't rehome.

I hope that this dog gets the loving home he needs
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 09:04 PM
oh i hope so too... i suppose i can only do my best - and I can't guarantee that nothing bad will happen... but I would be gutted if anything did.

I suppose i will just have to go with my gut instinct.

ANY more advice greatly desired people!

xx
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 09:16 PM
You can only do your best Zoundz. Time will tell.

At least this family know that if there is any sign of anything going wrong that you'll take the dog back

Taking a dog on with separation anxiety is never easy, I for one know only too well. The first few months are very hard. If your friend does take on this dog, tell her to read the Jan Fennel books, they do help
Pippin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2005, 10:57 PM
go with your GUT instinct, watch and see ..it may take a while but if these are good dog people they will work at it..good luck
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 01:06 PM
I can't really add anything further than what has been said so far, but when I assess our dogs for young children (Linda assess them for our kennels, so she has the ultimate say in these sort of things), a lot of it is by watching the dog's reactions to certain situations. Such as (in their simplest forms);
When feeding treats, does it snap? Or does he take the treat gently from you? Does the dog jump up at all? How easily will he give a toy back? Does he guard it?

I can't list all of the things now, but like you have said, go with your Gut instinct.

it may be better to take the dog on walks with the family, and see how they interact, then work up to introducing the dog to the new home. Also, see if you can work on the seperation anxiety yourself before you rehome him. (easier said than done, i know)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >