Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2005, 12:57 PM

Hate cutting nails? tip for how to do it a NEVER make them bleed

An old terrier man told a man that we know this tip and he has passed it on to me. Do you ever worry you are going to make the dogs nails bleed when you cut them? Well lottie has really really black nail and I cant see her quick so he told me to use not a dog nail file but a wood file ( a very fine one) and file the nail upward and at a slight angle towards the dogs foot. Only file upwards never up and down. He said you will never make the dogs nails bleed as the heat generated from the file seals the quick. Make sure you don’t do too much of the nail as it get hot so do half of one the do a different nail and go back and finish the first one. Lottie now has nice short little nails. Its a really good tip so i thought i would share it

Sarah xxxxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Wheaten mad
An old terrier man told a man that we know this tip and he has passed it on to me. Do you ever worry you are going to make the dogs nails bleed when you cut them? Well lottie has really really black nail and I cant see her quick so he told me to use not a dog nail file but a wood file ( a very fine one) and file the nail upward and at a slight angle towards the dogs foot. Only file upwards never up and down. He said you will never make the dogs nails bleed as the heat generated from the file seals the quick. Make sure you don’t do too much of the nail as it get hot so do half of one the do a different nail and go back and finish the first one. Lottie now has nice short little nails. Its a really good tip so i thought i would share it

Sarah xxxxx
Thats very good Sarah most useful to know ..I was taught a lot by an 'old terrier man'.
(*whispers being an old terrier man did he also tell you to put a cobweb on it if it bleeds.. *)
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Thats very good Sarah most useful to know ..I was taught a lot by an 'old terrier man'.
(*whispers being an old terrier man did he also tell you to put a cobweb on it if it bleeds.. *)
LOL no i dont think he did!! have to say 'old terrier men' have all the best tips!

sarah xxxxx
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2005, 08:03 AM
delaney has really black nails and i have just cut them for the first time i only dared to just take the tip off though,that is a really good tip,thanks
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2005, 08:18 AM
If only anyone could hold Teagan down whilst she had her nails cut
She goes mental. I have tried every method that people have described on here! She will let me touch her nails with my hands, but she 'knows' if I have a file or clippers, and runs away
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
If only anyone could hold Teagan down whilst she had her nails cut
She goes mental. I have tried every method that people have described on here! She will let me touch her nails with my hands, but she 'knows' if I have a file or clippers, and runs away
Have you tried a Dremel Hevvur?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Nope, I haven't SB, but how would I hold Teagan still with one of those in my hand!!!!

I managed to clip 3 of her nails tonight whilst she was sleeping! I'm a nasty mummy!
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Hevvur -I had murder with Murph at one point over nails -he hates it
Have you tried doing it horse style ?? ( nails that is LOl ) hold the foot backwards and just touch the foot with the clippers and then praise and treat loads -do it every day -a different foot , I sometimes pick his feet up during walks too ( not a bad thing to get used to incase of thorns etc ) but progress to clipping the tiniest tad off the nail and then do them regularly -just a smidge -Murph still doesn't like it but he will stand for a few to be done at a time and if you hold his foot backwards like a horse he can't pull away
hth
Liz

LOl as for the cobweb tip -I'll be ok then ....my house is full of 'em
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks Liz!
I have tried the 'horse' method with Kingsley - that is the only way I can do his...
Don't know why I didn't think of it with Teagan - she nearly is the size of a horse