Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
Just another point on the view that raw feeding is best. Once food has been cooked the chemical stucture is altered and enzymes are damaged making it harder to digest.A dog that is allergic to a food in cooked or processed form may be able to tolerate the same food in it's natural raw state.

Ah now that's interesting, Rueben. I did not know that dogs allergic to a food in its cooked or processed form may well be able to tolerate it raw. Thanx for that titbit of info!
rubylita
New Member!
Female 

28-04-2011, 08:20 PM
interesting reading... if i feed raw do i have to put veg with her diet? or is raw meat enough? i can remember having a conversation with my vet about barf and she kind of gave me the look that said i am a bad mum!! i just want the best for ruby, currently she is on science plan and natures harvest... so hard making a decision to change
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 08:26 PM
No many people feed no vegetables BUT raw meat is insufficient as it is low in calcium and high in phosphorus so a calcium source must be fed, usually bones so eg chicken wings/thighs/legs which provide both meat and bone, so calcium and phosphorus
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by rubylita View Post
interesting reading... if i feed raw do i have to put veg with her diet? or is raw meat enough? i can remember having a conversation with my vet about barf and she kind of gave me the look that said i am a bad mum!! i just want the best for ruby, currently she is on science plan and natures harvest... so hard making a decision to change
I personally do the whole raw pureed veg thing, but I know many people who do not and have perfectly healthy dogs. I always recommend the pureed veg as I believe at the very worst you are wasting your time and money, and the facts behind feeding pureed veg make sense to me, so I do it.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I now do the pureed veg - at the start I didn't, although I had no complaints about my dog's fitness and health on raw food.

My sister - who has been raw feeding her dogs for over 12 years, has always done the veg thing, so I tried it and it actually made a difference to Merlin's 'output' (much firmer and easy to pick up). Plus at the time I started he needed to gain fitness and lose a pound or two, and bulking out his meals with pureed veg was a good way to begin.

It has side benefits - I buy dog-veg now and that means I have much more veg available for me to eat too! I have taken my list of suitable veg from Kymythy Schultze's guide and include a little bit of as much variety as I can, which mixes veg from above ground and below ground plus herbs.

Some dogs do fine on no-veg; others do even better with-veg.
DvnBiker
Dogsey Junior

22-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I swopped across to raw about 3 months ago - I think I must have tried every commercial kibble under the sun but could never find something that suited my three BCs.

I buy most of their raw from rawtogo and the maintstay of their diet is their minces of varying meats as they come in the ratio of 80/10/10 - they get a boney meal about twice a week, chicken carcusses, duck necks or something similar.

I feed the odd bit of veg if we have it left over.

Not had a pup yet since feeding raw but my next one will be fed raw from when I bring it home - the breeder I am looking at hopefully will assist on getting pup used to mince etc whilst still with the litter.

my vets arent anti-raw but not exactly for it either but never mind. I dont have to put up with lectures.

The dogs went cold turkey by the way - they had always had chicken wings in their diet so it seemed the best way to go as clearly the kibble was no good.
Linz&bella
New Member!
Female 

08-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi guys

I feed my dog raw dog mince from the butchers and she absolutely loves it. At the minute she on kibble for breaks and raw for tea as she's only 8 months old. She doesn't get excited at all for break but for tea she jumps around the kitchen.

The only thing I wonder is at 12 months is one meal of raw enough? I'm not sure if I should still give her a little kibble in the morning?
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2011, 09:15 PM
My two are nearly eight months old and they are only on raw, they have two meals a day.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 10:05 PM
why feed raw
I feed RAW because it is a lot healthier than the rubbish they put into wet foods (please research this, it is terrible) and kibble just does not seem natural. I love nothing more than finding new things to try my dog on. She enjoys her meals now, and I enjoy giving them to her.

what to buy
I started off with mince from Tescos. Lamb mince. I always have some mince in stock! I also always have frozen veg (which I defrost and mush) and a veg mix that is fresh veg blended basically.
I always ensure to have:
> mince
> chicken wings
> tripe (I ususally get blocks from p@h)
> bones
> heart
> liver
> tins of tuna, sardines and pilchards.

where to buy from
Butchers:
> Offal, such as heart, liver and kidneys
> Bones, which are free! As well as chicken carcusses
> Mince, the butcher makes a nice chicken mince and adds carcusses to add bone

Pet shop:
> Frozen tripe in blocks

Supermarket:
> Chickens/ chicken wings / chicken pieces
> White fish portions (frozen)
> Tins of fish (tuna, sardines, pilchards)
> Fresh meat/ fish in the reduced to clear section
> Fresh veg for blending

Street Market:
> Fresh veg for blending

how much to feed and how often
I feed two meals a day. Meals often vary in size.... I dont weigh. You know if your dog needs more or less, either in their behaviour or in their body condition and weight.

how to introduce your dog to raw
I started with mince and frozen veg before adding new meats every few weeks.

what age to start feeding raw (if puppy)
Jinty was on complete RAW by 4 months. I would have done it as soon as she came home if I understood more about RAW at the time (I refused to start feeding her RAW until I had read into it.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Pssst - Heart is a muscle - not classed as Offal!
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »