Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zara's_Momma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Would we pass a home check?

Hi all,
Ok- so we are in the very, very early stages of considering getting a pal for Zara.
We would love to offer a home to a rescue, but I am not sure that we would pass our home check, purely because of Zara's behaviour. You see, she can be very boisterous with other dogs, LOVES to play and is very vocal. Obviously, if we did pass the home check etc, I worry that when the dogs first meet, Zara will start up with her nonsense and put the rescue staff off.
In general, she is quite good, it's just the initial introductions she will just have an explosion of excitement, after she has got that out of her system, she is excellent, very playful and well behaved.
I don't want to go down this route, if we have no chance of passing, with having Zara. It wouldn't be fair on the family.
So, what do you guys think? Other than Zara, we have two cats, aged 10, seven chickens, and three ducks. The chicks and ducks are kept in very secure runs in the garden. There is someone at home all day as we all have different work/college patterns and we can offer three or four walks daily, one of which is a long run at the beach or park, lasting an hour and a half to two hours.
We would prefer a male dog, no more than four years old, preferably smaller than Zara (but not tiny) that is good with other dogs and people, as stable as possible.

Am I asking too much? Or don't we have a hope in hell?!

I would be grateful for any advise. I am very much enquiring at the moment, so I don't want to be shot down in flames for not sounding overly enthusiastic at the moment! It would be a while away, even if we do decide to rescue.

Thank you! x
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 08:44 PM
can't see why you wouldn't pass as long as the dog your interested in is good with other dogs, i would be more concerned about the cats, but then again springers and cats rarely mix, go for it and good luck!! is there any breed in particular you're considering??
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Can not see why you wouldn't pass. We passed to have oldies (fostering) and our young lad is only 2 and although he isn't one for jumping on other dogs in play, he still has his ''zoomies'' and I told them all this
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2010, 09:15 PM
My Molly has a few problems with other dogs but that didn't stop the rescues considering us. It was more down to whether the dogs got along and most were prepared to do more than one meeting etc. Only thing I would say is try not to get too attached until the dogs are friends as we had to give up on one because Molly just didn't like him which was sad! Howerer, we got there in the end

Go for it
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 10:45 PM
take him for a good long run before meeting the other dog, tire him out.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 09:41 AM
There is always a dog out there to suit your situation.

Zara just sounds like a typical GSD and most rescues recognise this.

I think you'd have no problem
leopard_print
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Any sensible rescue would be able to see sense. They will most likely select one that would suit your dog and then introduce on neutral ground to see how it plays out. After your dog has settled then you will be able to see how it may go.
Zara's_Momma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Thank you so much everyone! I will just have to see how it plays out!