View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Just awful, poor dog (and all those other too), I wonder how it is now, it;s a miracdel it survived, I agree it the poor thing is paralysed it would be beter to let it go, but it if is ok, lets hope it ends up having a good life. I also agree, if everyone stopped visting these places that would make them take notice, tourism is of course a multi million business. I just can't understand how people have no care or compassion.. Let all those that suffered be at peace now!
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi Toby, you are right, the dog did survive initially, yet sadly later died from his injuries in spite of veterinary care.

There is also a petition site about this event and cruelty in Turkey generally:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/tur...n-your-animals

Thanks to everyone for their support.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Or better still try to stop the hundreds of thousands of British tourists who go there every year (and avert their eyes to this kind of thing)
I went to Gocek (near Dalaman) about 5 years ago and, although there were a lot of dogs around, we never saw any cruelty. Talking to a restaurant owner who befriended us he said all the dogs are owned by someone, but just live outside.

I'm really saddened to see what is happening in Turkey because I really liked the country. But I don't think I could go back knowing that this is going on there now.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
Hi Toby, you are right, the dog did survive initially, yet sadly later died from his injuries in spite of veterinary care.

There is also a petition site about this event and cruelty in Turkey generally:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/tur...n-your-animals

Thanks to everyone for their support.
Poot thing, at least he knew some kindness from a human before his time was over.

Run free little dog
xx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Oh my god!! This has to be one of the wost things I have ever heard in my lfie!! I'm totally sickened. Run free, sweet dog.

I cannot click on the links, far to upsetting....is it safe for me to click on a link to sign the petition without seeing photographs?
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Yes, I've just checked. There are no pictures there.

Many thanks for signing the petition - every signature counts.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 09:03 PM
Like somew, I can not click on links to see pictures.....so sorry I am a coward and feeling abit raw at the moment.

I will sign the petition though if there are no pic's........

I fail to understand some humans at the moment, cruelty seems to be all they know..
Not Dogsey
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Not that I for one moment condone cruelty of any kind - and I haven't looked at the links - but people really should not judge and condemn an entire country because of the actions of a few.

If you know anything about the Turkish culture, you would understand that children are taught from the earliest age that you do not EVER touch a strange dog. Rabies is still a very real concern in many countries, Turkey being one of them and people are naturally wary of stray/feral animals for that reason.

Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I went to Gocek (near Dalaman) about 5 years ago and, although there were a lot of dogs around, we never saw any cruelty. Talking to a restaurant owner who befriended us he said all the dogs are owned by someone, but just live outside.

I'm really saddened to see what is happening in Turkey because I really liked the country. But I don't think I could go back knowing that this is going on there now.
Sarah, I have a friend who lives in that same area of Turkey so I have spent a fair bit of time there. IN the town where she lives, feral 'street' dogs are almost a thing of the past because a local charity has put a huge amount of effort into vaccinating, neutering and tagging the street dogs and many business owners have 'adopted' them, effectively givein them a roof over their heads. This is one such dog:

If you look carefully, you will see a number of small scars around his flank and leg. He was a street dog stabbed 19 times and left for dead and it is only thanks to the kindness of a TURKISH lady - a business owner - that he was still alive for me to take that picture. She nursed him back to health and still cares for him to this day. His name is Kuryuk which means 'tail' because his is always wagging

So, although the original post is undoubtedly a horrific tale, it is NOT representative of the behaviour of the entire country.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2