Our sister sites
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2009, 10:28 AM

A dog's fate in Turkey: Taking Sadism to a New Level

Municipal authorities tossed sick dog into the garbage crusher - alive

November 13, 2008

**PLEASE contact the Turkish Government and the European Union. DON'T think someone else will do it so you don't have to! EVERY SINGLE VOICE COUNTS!** **PLEASE CROSSPOST!**

The images in the link below are from the city of Van in eastern Turkey, and the tragedy going on here defies our ability to communicate in a consistent manner…. It is horrific, it is beyond words, and it is REAL. Happened today just a few hours ago…

The stray dog you see here was hit by a car 3 days ago. Its back legs were broken as a result. Nobody took it to a vet or anything – it was left to lie there in agony for 3 days. It couldn’t walk, it could only crawl after the incident. A few good citizens there in Van tried to help it, they cared for it, brought food and water so that it would survive. In the meantime, they called the authorities to come and help the poor dog. It was in excruciating pain, just begging for someone to put it out of that misery…

Three days later, the municipal authorities of Van finally showed up. Not, however, to rescue the dog. To the contrary, they came to kill the dog! In fact, the municipality did not even send a vet to the area. They sent a garbage truck and garbage collectors instead of medical assistance – the dog was nothing more than a piece of garbage to them anyway. And they did what they do best: rounded up the dog, tossed him into the garbage crusher alive and crushed him to death then and there. All the while, the dog screamed, screamed and screamed until that final blow killed it..

The municipality of Van confirmed the incident – there is no way to deny it anyway, it has been photographed by Dogan News Agency from the beginning to the end and it took place in broad daylight in the middle of the city.

No matter where you live, please condemn this horrific massacre. Express how disgusted you are with these images not just to the local authorities of the Van, but to the Prime Minister of Turkey. Tell the Turkish authorities to STOP THIS BLOODY MASSACRE RIGHT NOW!!

One need not have a love for dogs or animals to be revolted at the pictures of a dog with broken legs being crushed alive in a garbage truck. I ask every person on Earth to contact the Turkish Consul General offices all over the world. Please tell them that Turkey has been trying to join the European Union and that you will contact the European Union to inform them of the failure of the federal government to prosecute municipal officials for repeated violations of federal laws protecting companion animals. Tell them that the European Union expects local Turkish municipal governments to be accountable to the federal government, and that if the federal government abdicates its own laws and responsibilities, the European Union should continue to deny membership to Turkey .

===
Useful addresses:

-Contact the European Union
Relex-delusw-help@ec.europa.eu

-Mayor of Van Burhan Yenigun:
0432 216 73 41
vanbelediyesi@van-bld.gov.tr

-Governor of Van
Ozdemir Cakacak
0 432 214 96 35
ozdemircakacak@van.gov.tr

-Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan
bimer@basbakanlik.gov.tr

Sources:
http://turkeymassacre.wordpress.com
http://www.bentbay.dk/tyrk_hund_comtainer.htm
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 10:33 AM
i cant click on the link as it would probably make me sick... what i dont really understand though is if somebody stood by and took pictures why the heck didnt they stop them from doing it??? disgusting.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
No matter where you live, please condemn this horrific massacre. Express how disgusted you are with these images not just to the local authorities of the Van, but to the Prime Minister of Turkey. Tell the Turkish authorities to STOP THIS BLOODY MASSACRE RIGHT NOW!!
Or better still try to stop the hundreds of thousands of British tourists who go there every year (and avert their eyes to this kind of thing)

Hitting the tourist trade (and hence their income) will have far more impact than words on these people.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 10:44 AM
just been on the website and there are some truly horrendous photos its amazing that this dog has survived but if its paralysed i think the kinder thing would be to put it to sleep as otherwise who will care for it.

Are there no stray facilities in Turkey, or do they just choose to kill rather than rehome?
Its very unfortunate that in countries such as this, they would rather poison and torture the animals than enforce mass neutering which would surely try to solve the problems with many strays...

very sad indeed.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I have fixed the links!

Yes, I too think all holiday makers should boycott Turkey. Let's spread the word!

I think the reason why it was not stopped is because it is a way of life there. Dogan News Agency are a photo journalist agency - they won't interfere, simply report it

The only shelters that I know of in Turkey are privately funded ones - so their resources and funds are limited.

Here's a sample letter if it helps get things going.... many thanks to everyone who helps.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was very concerned and distressed to hear the story of the dog known as “Karem” or “Jonah”, who was severely injured after being brutally thrown into the back of a garbage truck in the Van municipality. Sadly we hear the dog subsequently died of his injuries in spite of veterinary care.

This is not the first case of this kind to be reported from Turkey. Indeed the needlessly inhumane and cruel treatment of dogs by Turkish municipal workers is graphically documented in the film “Earthlings” (www.earthlings.org) which has won international recognition for its depiction of the brutality inflicted on animals by humankind in a variety of circumstances.
Indeed the catalogue of brutality and neglect of it's animals by the Turkish Government is depicted clearly at http://turkeymassacre.wordpress.com/

The continued mistreatment of dogs and other animals in this way is attracting international attention, and reflects badly on Turkey and her people and government, as it does on any country and administration where it is perpetrated. If it continues it will lead to holiday makers boycotting Turkey as a holiday destination which is not in the interests of your country.

I have also written to the European Union today asking them to make the local Turkish municipal governments accountable for these actions and if the Turkish Government continues to abdicate its own laws and responsibilities, then that the European Union should continue to deny membership to Turkey.

I urge you to persuade the Turkish authorities to take action in the face of this international outrage, to protect and improve the welfare of dogs and indeed all animals.

Yours faithfully
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I got halfway through your post and I could read any further Tears are streaming down my face.
Elaine xx
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I know Elaine. I work with animal rescue in Eastern Europe and most days I am sick to my core.

The only way forward is to publicise and campaign. Hit them with the threat of non-EU accession. Hit them with the threat of a holiday-maker boycott.

It takes alot of people to make this happen - please do write to the contacts listed and please do tell others and help raise awareness.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
I know Elaine. I work with animal rescue in Eastern Europe and most days I am sick to my core.

The only way forward is to publicise and campaign. Hit them with the threat of non-EU accession. Hit them with the threat of a holiday-maker boycott.

It takes alot of people to make this happen - please do write to the contacts listed and please do tell others and help raise awareness.
Oh I will do that, but I cant look at the videos, I would be crying all day. I do so admire people who can confront and deal with issues that this. I am not strong enough...I admit that...People? yes, animals..no I get too upset,
Well done you and keep up the good work.
Elaine xx
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Horrific
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Thats why I admire Maria Daines so much she writes songs and sings to raise awareness and money for shelters in countries like this, check out her website, she is a braver person than me , I can't look at things like this, I feel so sorry for the dogs.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >