Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2012, 06:22 PM

Gracie and next door's dogs...

Gracie is obsessed with the two shih tzus next door, to the point where pretty much all she'll do in the garden now is stare at the fence in case they're out there and start yapping. She's actually worn a track in the lawn from walking the fence line. She doesn't bark back at them but when they start making a racket (as I mentioned, they're shih tzus, so you can imagine) she's pretty violent on the fence, which is solid and fairly sturdy but I'm really concerned she could damage it which could be disastrous with two little dogs on the other side Atm she is on constant supervision in the garden and when they/she starts she won't be called away so I have to fetch her and put a slip lead on her to bring her in. She's very good at coming in for a yummy treat the rest of the time but when the yapping starts, forget it. It's a bit of a nuisance that the dogs can't be in and out of the garden whenever any more because of this. I find it a bit worrying how intense she gets so any advice at all on dealing with this would be appreciated.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Aw sorry she is still being a pest for you, not what you signed up for I guess, I have no answers to your query but hope it can be trained out
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2012, 06:46 PM
I had much the same problem with Rupert and the neighbours Yorkies in Ireland. And with the fence having gaps and a section that was only 3ft high it could easily have been a disaster. I did a lot of boundary training with him, teaching him that he didn't go past a certain point in the garden (about 2ft away from the fence) and did a lot of clicker training with him while the Yorkies hurled themself at the fence barking and snarling and carrying on.

At first I had to literally take him into the kitchen and work with him there rather than in the garden but as he got used to working with me while they kicked off I gradually moved him outside and closer to the fence. It wasn't a quick process but we did get to the point where he'd completely ignore the Yorkies and just move away from the fence if he were over that side of the garden when they came out. The only time he wouldn't ignore them is if I were near the fence and they kicked off.

I dunno whether that's at all helpful to you but I hope you get something sorted. I'm sure Kikopup has a video on youtube about boundary training. While it's not something I'd trust 100% it's a handy thing to have in place for a few reasons imo. Rupe was on a tether if he were out there alone due to the low fencing but that was more for the safety of the chickens and sheep than the neighbours dogs.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Aw sorry she is still being a pest for you, not what you signed up for I guess, I have no answers to your query but hope it can be trained out
Thanks x I wasn't exactly expecting an easy dog so I'll manage I'm hopeful that with time and training it won't be a big issue.

Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I had much the same problem with Rupert and the neighbours Yorkies in Ireland. And with the fence having gaps and a section that was only 3ft high it could easily have been a disaster. I did a lot of boundary training with him, teaching him that he didn't go past a certain point in the garden (about 2ft away from the fence) and did a lot of clicker training with him while the Yorkies hurled themself at the fence barking and snarling and carrying on.

At first I had to literally take him into the kitchen and work with him there rather than in the garden but as he got used to working with me while they kicked off I gradually moved him outside and closer to the fence. It wasn't a quick process but we did get to the point where he'd completely ignore the Yorkies and just move away from the fence if he were over that side of the garden when they came out. The only time he wouldn't ignore them is if I were near the fence and they kicked off.

I dunno whether that's at all helpful to you but I hope you get something sorted. I'm sure Kikopup has a video on youtube about boundary training. While it's not something I'd trust 100% it's a handy thing to have in place for a few reasons imo. Rupe was on a tether if he were out there alone due to the low fencing but that was more for the safety of the chickens and sheep than the neighbours dogs.
Thanks, it's very helpful to know it can be done! Fortunately our fence is six or seven foot but I'm concerned she might go through it
It's difficult (make that impossible) to get her attention when she's focussed on something but I'll take your advice and start off inside before taking it to the garden. I just wish she would relax, bless her.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Sudden breakthrough just now - was out with both dogs in the garden, neighbours must have let theirs out and yapping began within seconds... I called Gracie away and she actually listened Brought her indoors then and made a huge fuss of her.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 07:25 AM
Oh bless her, well done Gracie
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 07:54 AM
Having the same issues though Millie just barks back! If its the collie she goes into hyterical barking.

I am being very controlling with her at the moment as I know her habbits so well now and I don't care what the parrents say I am not happy leaving her to roam the garden till a fence is constructed and its paid off! Dad is getting a fence hopefully tomorrow trying get him to get a solid fence instead of a picket fence as the picket fence won't stop her from barking.

Its going well she is being really responsive and if she see's me with a treat she comes running over! ^^

She isn't much interested in toys but I keep her interested in the other end of the garden by getting her to find her treats in the grass she loves this game to bits too.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 09:03 AM
If Kestral goes to the parents garden she used to bark like crazy.

Catching her wasn't really an option as it makes it a game. Instead I let her out with a long line on. As soon as she barked I took the line and she went inside.
She did soon learn she only gets to enjoy the garden when she's quiet. I also make sure when she does come in she always gets a treat, and then sometimes can go out again so coming back doesnt always equal the end.

How is everything going with Gracie?
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Oh bless her, well done Gracie
Well done indeed, I could have given her a whole box of gravy bones I was so pleased

Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Having the same issues though Millie just barks back! If its the collie she goes into hyterical barking.

I am being very controlling with her at the moment as I know her habbits so well now and I don't care what the parrents say I am not happy leaving her to roam the garden till a fence is constructed and its paid off! Dad is getting a fence hopefully tomorrow trying get him to get a solid fence instead of a picket fence as the picket fence won't stop her from barking.

Its going well she is being really responsive and if she see's me with a treat she comes running over! ^^

She isn't much interested in toys but I keep her interested in the other end of the garden by getting her to find her treats in the grass she loves this game to bits too.
Sounds like you're making progress with her I can imagine a picket fence can't help matters, it's good of your dad to be sorting a new one out.

Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
If Kestral goes to the parents garden she used to bark like crazy.

Catching her wasn't really an option as it makes it a game. Instead I let her out with a long line on. As soon as she barked I took the line and she went inside.
She did soon learn she only gets to enjoy the garden when she's quiet. I also make sure when she does come in she always gets a treat, and then sometimes can go out again so coming back doesnt always equal the end.

How is everything going with Gracie?
Apart from her issues with strange dogs Gracie is doing very well She's ever so good in the house, when my sister came over the other day she was saying how calm and quiet she was compared with PITA Gelert
She's starting to get very affectionate with me and I can feel a real bond growing. She's going to be spayed on Wednesday and I can't help worrying about it, not least because she's having it done at the dogs' home. Hope she doesn't think I'm leaving her behind for good
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Happened again several times today, managed to call her away from the fence after the shih tzus started. Considering how bad she was only a few days ago this is pretty amazing, and I hadn't started any real work with her yet. I'd say I needn't have started this thread but that would be tempting fate...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >