Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 02:13 PM

Converting a garage...

Me and my mum are wanting to convert the garage. We have briefly mentioned it to my dad, but haven't discussed it properly. Me and my mum don't want to discuss it too much with him, until we know more information. So, I am trying to do some googling

My question is, does anyone know the best way to insulate a garage? And, are there ways you can do it yourself?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 02:15 PM
Convert for what?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-08-2012, 02:21 PM
You need planning permission and you need to have enough parking spaces available to you compared to the number of bedrooms to get the go ahead. 3 bedrooms need two parking spaces and 4 bedrooms need 3 at least that is the case with our council. We had a preliminary chat with the planning dept and then decided it was pointless applying as we only have room for 2 cars on the drive and 4 bedrooms and it's irrelevant that the garage is too small to house either car and still be able to get out of the doors. That said plenty of people go ahead and leave the garage door in place so no one is ever the wiser.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Convert for what?
Just for an extra space, so we can store stuff without it getting damp (which is currently a nightmare) and maybe use if for an extra living room/games room thing.

Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
You need planning permission and you need to have enough parking spaces available to you compared to the number of bedrooms to get the go ahead. 3 bedrooms need two parking spaces and 4 bedrooms need 3 at least that is the case with our council. We had a preliminary chat with the planning dept and then decided it was pointless applying as we only have room for 2 cars on the drive and 4 bedrooms and it's irrelevant that the garage is too small to house either car and still be able to get out of the doors. That said plenty of people go ahead and leave the garage door in place so no one is ever the wiser.
Yeah, we know about the planning permission but we want to know exactly what needs done, and how it will be done, what the costs will be etc before we get into that. This is just something we have just begun thinking about so haven't got too deep into it yet

I think the thing with the parking spaces is quite silly though, I have no idea what it is like with our council though. However, we have two bedrooms and two parking spaces.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Well storage and games room you could probably leave the door in place which is what my friend has done and has a space about 3 foot deep full of shelving for storage with a stud wall partition behind and the rest of the space is now a utility room. Easy enough to put back in place if you have to. This might help a bit with info

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...ageconversion/