View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pretty Kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2005, 08:27 PM
So if I had the windows XP disc would I get away without wiping the hard drive?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by Pretty Kitty
So if I had the windows XP disc would I get away without wiping the hard drive?
yes you could do a partial format you could try it with the back up disk you got i am not that familiar with it. A low format might be the way for you cause it should leave most of the info inplace and just replace the windows files
Pretty Kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Ok thanks Leo, I'll give it a go
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Pretty Kitty, Tom, your recovery disk should allow you to reload the operating system, mine does. You should just be able to do a system restore back to the factory settings ie as your pc was when you bought it
Pretty Kitty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Het
Pretty Kitty, Tom, your recovery disk should allow you to reload the operating system, mine does. You should just be able to do a system restore back to the factory settings ie as your pc was when you bought it
Yes I think it does Het but will we lose all the other data on the PC?
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Pretty Kitty
Yes I think it does Het but will we lose all the other data on the PC?
You need your hard drive partioned and since you might be doing a reformat what a time to do it that way all the data you what saved on your hardrive will be there we you reboot.

If you can get your hands on a copy of partion magic you can do it before you reformat and put all the data you want behind the partion and it will be safe and be there when you get back to it instead of burning it to disk.

I have mine partioned and have rebooted my system so many times i've lost count the only time i lost my info was when my harddrive died on me. I would reconmend anyone to make a partion on their system.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2005, 11:41 PM
just a bit of advice for a few who doesn`t know about it the hard drives today are mostly a decent size if with a new PC it is all C: you can partition it very easy with a program like ( partition magic and make two or more partitions on it save daily your files and documents on another partition then if you have a virus what is difficult to get rid of you can install windows again and still have your files and documents safe when windows is installed fresh and clean there are good programs such as (Norton Ghost ) it make a complete copy of your windows and if something gets damaged you have the complete system back again in 20 min with all the installed program's the ad removal tools you have to use one which makes a back up which can restore if needed a PC has to be kept clean and checked daily and then it will be OK a good firewall a good anti-virus program and a good ad remover a good registry cleaner is worth a lot to keep the PC running smooth
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by leo
You need your hard drive partioned and since you might be doing a reformat what a time to do it that way all the data you what saved on your hardrive will be there we you reboot.

If you can get your hands on a copy of partion magic you can do it before you reformat and put all the data you want behind the partion and it will be safe and be there when you get back to it instead of burning it to disk.

I have mine partioned and have rebooted my system so many times i've lost count the only time i lost my info was when my harddrive died on me. I would reconmend anyone to make a partion on their system.
sorry leo i was still writing just seen your post
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Fred
sorry leo i was still writing just seen your post
No problem Fred that was a good post that you did.
pamngeoff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-11-2005, 12:40 AM
hi all if you want free programs go to nonags.com.or acalantis both safe sites i use on a regular basis i get most of my programs from them .
if you want a good registry cleaner try regseeker its dam good,best of luck Geoff
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >