Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Finally used my slow cooker for the first time..... oh dear

I eventually managed to get a good slow cooker library book from the library.
Sara Lewis - Slowcooker, over 70 of the best recipes.

Thought I'd start with something nice and simple, Persian Chicken. So yesterday I checked I had all the ingredients in the list, had a brief look at the instructions and got up early this morning to start as it takes 8-9hours.

There I am skinning chicken pieces, browning them, making the sauce , adding the spices, the garlic, the orange rind, juice and honey....... hang on a minute. I don't have the rind and juice of an orange!!! Why? Coz it's not in the ingredients list that's why. Neither is the honey!
Now I have honey but have to guess at how much, so we'll see how it turns out.

How annoying. Fancy publishing a cookery book where the ingredients are missed from the recipe. It says to add fresh spinach leaves at the end, but after the awful day I've had today they won't be missed.

Rice is in the rice cooker and as Charlie is taking his girlfriend out to a restaurant on their own for their belated Valentine's we shall be eating when I've dropped them off.

Fingers crossed....... and I can't wait for a slow cooker section on the recipe threads!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi i use my slow cooker a lot - you can do most things in it really, casseroles i do quite a lot, stews, pot roast beef, bolognese, curry - sometimes i prepare the ingredients the night before and chuck it all in in the morning
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2009, 09:12 PM
That's a bit bloody stupid, isn't it?

Write and complain - I would

*hugs* - hope it was edible xxx
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
That's a bit bloody stupid, isn't it?

Write and complain - I would

*hugs* - hope it was edible xxx
It was quite nice actually. I bunged some rice in the rice cooker and that was an easy meal. And as Charlie was out romancing there is lots left that I may leave til tomorrow or freeze.

I might write on the page though, just so others following the recipe can see they will be missing something, library book or not.

In fact I think the orange juice would've made it too runny as it was just the right texture to coat the rice well. Wasn't very spicy though, just like a nice casserole.

I bought 3 packs of casserole streak on Thursday in Asda, down to 80p a pack, so they are in the freezer as beef in ale hotpot is next on my list.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I think slow cookers are brill, had many gorgeous casseroles etc from mine
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 07:19 AM
That made me smile.

Have to say I use our slow cooker alot, find it very useful
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 02:34 PM
I adore my slow-cooker, it is such a doddle shoving everything in one pot and letting it bubble away.

One of my favourites is a leg of lamb in a red wine & cranberry gravy, it is lush!!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I might write on the page though, just so others following the recipe can see they will be missing something, library book or not.
I think that's a very good idea Obviously I've never done it with a recipe book but I did once do it on a book about a technical subject where either author or the publisher had got it completely wrong

The long established publishers are pretty good but I've found some of the newer ones are often very bad at proof reading and just because it's in a book doesn't automatically make it right