View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 06:41 PM

Can you recommend some "safe" toys for puppy?

Hey

We have assigned a puppy kong and nylabone to Woody as "his" safe toys to play with if we're not there.

I think he would like it if we swapped these with other toys though and was wondering what else you guys can recommend. They need to be suitable to leave him with oon his own for a few hours.

He loves his mallard and pheasant, monkey and tuggy rope (but all of these are special, play with us, supervised only toys).

Thanks x
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I'd be careful leaving the nylabone with him unattended - only because Marius used to have one and I thought they were tough enough to leave him on his own with. When I checked it again after he'd had a good chew on it, he'd managed to gnaw a chunk off!!

Now I know Rotts are strong and you have a Springer, but he was only about 15wks old at the time, so I'd keep an eye on him with it.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Kong. If he gets bored with it, you can always fill it with treats to make it more interesting? Try different treats to keep him occupied, you can even freeze them, which I found really helped Marius when he was teething as it soothed his gums.
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Mine love their Kongs. I break up gravy bones, fill the Kong up with any left over bits from dinner and fill it up with a bit of gravy then freeze it - keeps them entertained for ages!

Other toys that we have for ours are rubber bones - I think they're Rough & Rugged or something, by Four Paws; a range of teething toys; and Indestructiballs. So far, so good and the only toys they trash are of the soft and squeaky variety, but do remember to check all the toys over every single day to make sure that there's no damage.
The Kongs need a good wash out after use to make sure there's nothing icky left in them - ours go through the dishwasher with the pet bowls
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 09:40 PM
Sydney has her filled Kong. But Kong also do other shapes and sizes too, so I also leave her Wubba (sp?) and a dental kong too. TBH though she just sleeps when we are out. If she fancies a chew it is usually the rug !!!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by RRmum View Post
Sydney has her filled Kong. But Kong also do other shapes and sizes too, so I also leave her Wubba (sp?) and a dental kong too. TBH though she just sleeps when we are out. If she fancies a chew it is usually the rug !!!
lmho at your post Ben's fav is the dining chair!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2008, 11:22 AM
[/QUOTE]TBH though she just sleeps when we are out. If she fancies a chew it is usually the rug !!![/QUOTE]

Brilliant! Love it.

Woody likes his Wubba too but the idea about freezing treats with gravy in the Kong is pure genius, thank you!!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2008, 03:10 PM
the best toy is ...no toys.if any thing a denta bone for teeth...toys wear a dog teeth.espesially nylon,the worse thing to give a dog is a tennis ball... any thing that is not a natural fiber will do this .abrasive,toys promote chewing of all things you dont want them to, they dont know the difference from a sock to a tuffy,i give my dogs a marrow bone with peanut butter inside...keeps the busy and they see it as food not a toy
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by 3dognight View Post
the best toy is ...no toys.if any thing a denta bone for teeth...toys wear a dog teeth.espesially nylon,the worse thing to give a dog is a tennis ball... any thing that is not a natural fiber will do this .abrasive,toys promote chewing of all things you dont want them to, they dont know the difference from a sock to a tuffy,i give my dogs a marrow bone with peanut butter inside...keeps the busy and they see it as food not a toy
I'm sorry, but I completely disagree Both my dogs have a selection of toys and they are well aware which things are "theirs" and generally we don't have any chewing of other things. They've even had their own old socks to play with, but have never stolen a sock from the laundry basket.

With teething puppies, it is recommended to give them lots of things to encourage chewing - hence teething toys. Otherwise, they almost certainly will satisfy their need to chew on your furniture, doors and anything else they can get their teeth on. My vets have always said that my dogs have very healthy teeth, which are in no way worn or damaged from their toys.

I give my dogs plenty of bones and rawhide treats as well, but they do love to play with their toys, and regularly bring my partner and I a toy and ask us to play with it, or will entertain themselves with their toys.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Completely agree with Sez and Amber. Puppies teeth and just like a human child therefore have a "need" to chew and mouth. Having good toys can help prevent them doing this on your furniture etc. Also other toys are good for stimulating and encouraging your dog.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2008, 04:29 PM
PS I am a big fan of the pet stages range of toys - pm me if you want a link. They are great for mouthing puppies through to adult dogs. PM me if you want a link to some.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »