Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nikki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2012, 01:32 PM

Changing my dog's diet

I have a 16 month old CKCS who is fed at the moment on pedigree and mixer.

I would like to change his diet but don't know where to start!

I don't want to raw feed him as I don't have the space as such, and it just confuses me!

What would people recommend?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Do you want to carry on feeding a mix of dry and wet?

Good dry foods include: Arden Grange, Skinners (F&T hypoallergenic range), Fish4Dogs, Applaws, James Wellbeloved, Orijen, Burns and Wainwrights.

Good wet foods include: Natures Harvest, Natures Menu, NatureDiet, Wainwrights, Arden Grange Partners, Applaws tins and Butchers Tripe Mix.

All of the above should have websites where you can look at ingredients, flavours available, etc.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Agree with Labradork, although most things are better than pedigree

Just have a quick look at ingredients:

Pedigree puppy:
Cereals (min. 14% Rice, min. 4% Maize),Meat and Animal Derivatives (min. 4% Chicken in the Brown Kibble),Oils and Fats (min. 0.6% Fish Oil),Vegetable Protein Extracts ,Derivatives of Vegetable Origin (min. 4% Dried Beet Pulp),Minerals

Single highest ingredient is cereals, very low meat content, uses vegetable protein rather than meat.

Fish 4 Dogs puppy food:
Ocean White Fish, Potato, Fish Meal, Salmon Oil, Beet Fibre, Brewers Yeast , Minerals,

Single highest ingredient is fish, followed by potato, then more fish (over 50% of the food is meat in this case), and it is grain free.

Feeding is a complete minefield, but there are already a lot of good ones listed.
You can continue to mix a bit of wet food in to the dry food if you like if the dog finds it more palatable.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 05:02 PM
I changed my dogs diet when one got ill with cancer, and the first thing I did was research ingredients on the internet and look for a kibble with a high meat content, my dogs also love wet food (they wouldn't each just dry kibble - BOOOORING MUM!) so i looked for a wet food with a high meat content too.

After comparing prices and ingredients, settling on what I could afford but what offered what I thought a good diet I decided on James Wellbeloved Grain free kibble and Naturesdiet wet trays I buy the trays in bulk cheaper from a local suplier.

For variation i also feed fish meals 2 days a week.

You may be shocked at some of the ingredients of some well known 'popular' kibbles! - I was! -terrible!

This may help, I found it quite interesting, doesn't cover all food, but quite a few: dogfoodanalysis.com
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Blimey! First thing that struck me was just how MANY different varieties there are! There's zillions of them!

Mind you the food my dog prefers wasn't in there - Bento Kronen - Versele-Laga

Well that's the dry food she gets. I also give her other food at least once a day - I found she got very constipated on dry food alone even tho' she drinks well.