View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mr Bojangles
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2010, 12:44 PM

First time puppy owner !!!(night time issues)

Hi, myself and my parter have just bought a 6week old puppy staff, he is very good, apart from the night times !! Would appreciate any suggestions.... we have already tried a ticking clock, cuddley toys and even a lamp left on for him!! I understand that he is used to being with his brothers and sisters, and he is slighty to young to come away from his mum, but he is fully weaned, he absolutley loves company, as we have 3 children which fuss him all day long, so understand the night time can be lonley for him, but need help to reassure him, just need to work out how !!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Hi,

The problem is that really your puppy was far too young to leave his dam and litter mates...puppies shouldn't leave until they are 8 weeks.

I would strongly suggest crating him next to your bed. He should still be with his littermates and he will need company and reassurance overnight at his tender age. He is highly unlikely to settle in a room alone.
SomersetWestie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-02-2010, 01:06 PM
We've just had the same problem with our westie puppy.
She would bark and shriek if crated downstairs.
Now we have her in a small crate on the landing outside our (open) bedroom door and she knows we are there and she is as quiet as a mouse!
In the next few days we'll try her downstairs again now that she is more settled with us.
Mr Bojangles
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2010, 01:09 PM
I thought he was to young to leave his mum, but the owner said that as long as he is eating and drinking on his own its fine, ive alway understood that puppies should stay with their mum until 8 weeks, i did phone my vets with my concern that he is only 6 weeks, and the agreed that as long as he is eating and drinking it is ok for him to leave his mum. How long should I crate him for, and would I re introuce him to sleeping downstairs again??

Thank you for your advice
Mr Bojangles
New Member!
Female 

09-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Thank you both i think a crate its going to have to be !!
honey123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Hi there,

we bought a crate on ebay £15 including delivery.
First night or so they will wimper in the crate, I would try the crate beside your bed at night for 2 weeks or so and then move it down stairs. Puppy might cry for a couple of days but after that (when they realise noone is going to get them when they cry) they will settle.

Also, first night in the crate my puppy pooed everywhere, but because they hate to toilet in their den, this behaviour should stop, take them out to toilet last thing at night and first thing in the morning.

All the best!!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I thought he was to young to leave his mum, but the owner said that as long as he is eating and drinking on his own its fine, ive alway understood that puppies should stay with their mum until 8 weeks, i did phone my vets with my concern that he is only 6 weeks, and the agreed that as long as he is eating and drinking it is ok for him to leave his mum. How long should I crate him for, and would I re introuce him to sleeping downstairs again??

Thank you for your advice
hi
hmmm, pups are weaned at around 3-4 weeks doesnt mean they can leave mum from your vets point of view,i guess that they were looking at it as your pup would be sold to someone so a responsible person asking advice is better than........

re the crating..good idea,i would start with it next to your bed,when pup is settling nicely i would move the crate onto the landing,down the stairs etc ending up where you wish your pup to sleep..this could happen quickly,or not lol
good luck
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-02-2010, 06:26 PM
At bed time, with a new puppy, I have found lying down in front of the crate like you were going to sleep and speaking softly to it, or singing, until it settles down and goes to sleep works very well. Follow the pattern, a period of active play, outside to eliminate, and then into the crate.

I am not sure how many puppies that has work on for us, over a dozen for sure.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Hi Kath I agree with the members who say have the puppy with you in a box next to your bed particularly as it is so young. .

I use a deep cardboard box for night time , a crate is far too fiddle when getting a puppy out at night. I make a nice cosy nest with a blanket and fix a small container on to the side of the box to hold water .

If the puppy is next to you it will hear you breathing and smell your scent, this will be comforting for the pup and help it to sleep. It will also help with bonding.

Puppies don't like to soil in their beds and will usually cry to go out, if the puppy is near to you it will be possible to hear it and gently pop it out to relieve itself.

In a couple of weeks you can move the puppy into a crate if need be, then gradually downstairs though I use a box all the time while the puppy is upstairs, crates are heavy to carry up and down.

ETA As you are a first time puppy owner I would strongly advise you to invest in this little booklet written by two members of The Association of Pet Dog Trainers. It will tell you most of what you need to know to get off to a good start with your puppy

http://www.dog-games.co.uk/shop/dog-...vival-kit.html
Aviator
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Can only echo the above comments, gentle but firm reassurance in the form of ignoring the crying at night. Just try to keep in mind that while he is in his crate all his needs are met. He is safe and comfortable. It will soon pass, if he gets attention during the night you will set yourself up for a lengthy and frustrating experience for both the puppy and yourself.

The breeder however is frankly an idiot. Six weeks even if eating and drinking is insufficient to learn manners which only other dogs can teach. Breeders like this should be reported and looked at closely.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >