View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 05:23 PM

Domestic & General appliance insurance - alternatives?

D&G have just lost my business, useless articles that they are......

Can anyone recommend another company please?

Thanks
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Can't help. Don't do this type of insurance any more - nothing but trouble.

To be honest, these days I work on a fingers crossed and a cheap replacement if needs be.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't insure domestic appliances either, I tend to buy the ones with a long guarantee and then just replace them if they go wrong after that.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 06:42 PM
We use homecare (British Gas) as they service all our items, its not an actual insurance but if items on there service ''die'' then they get them replaced if not repairable, so we have kitchen items, plumming,drains, raiditors etc all on for £30 per month....may seem alot but boy when things go wrong they are ''angels''
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 06:59 PM
I found D&G quite helpful - eventually!
I rang up just before Xmas to cancel my washer/dryer cover because I'd just abut had enough of it & had to have repairs on it at least 3 times per year. It was about 5 years old. So I bought a new one. When I told them this on the phone, they told me I should have waited & then the engineer could have "condemned it" & I would have got a new one on the insurance.
I was a bit gutted it was too late!
Anyway that meant that I still had my dishwasher & American fridge freezer on cover & were both on individual cover. They told me it would work out cheaper to lump them together as 3 items on 1 cover plan.
Which I thought was great... but I said I only have 2. (the fridge & the dishwasher) So she said no you have 3 - the fridge, the dishwasher & the fridge!! So I said "you said the fridge twice, 1 fridge + 1 dishwasher = 2!!" She said "we have you as having 2 American fridge freezers, both the same!!" Well off she went to look into it & came back & said when I bought the fridge I also bought the 5 year cover, but after a year they sent me a form saying it expired & I started paying again monthly. I didn't even remember buying 5 year cover so just filled in the form paid it. So I had basically been paying twice for the same thing for the last 2 years & they refunded me the extra I had paid within a few days which was just over £200 so I was quite happy with the outcome & we had a laugh about the fact that I don't have 2 fridges , the one I've got is massive

What's your beef with them Vicki?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Would not touch this sort of cover with a barge pole, it is totally pointless as you get three years cover anyway and, if you buy from John Lewis, five years.

So if you work out how much you would pay per month, taking into account depreciation, interest that money would earn in a savings account and your return the insurers are laughing all the way to the bank.

Which? have written several articles on this and pointed out it is a total rip off.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:15 PM
I've used them for the best part of 40 years, so I really think the "service" they have given me this time is appalling.

The story, if you can bear with me, is as follows:

I have a multi-appliance policy offering new for old for £21 pm.

My washing machine packed up. I called D&G who logged the call and gave me the number of the repairer (Indesit). The repairer was duly called by me and an engineer attended a few days later on 17/1/12.

He diagnosed a new motor was needed, and duly ordered the part(s).

A week later I called to see what was occurring. Indesit told me that three of the parts were in but that they were awaiting one more - a circuit board. They could not give me a delivery date for this part.

Another week went by and I called D&G who sounded quite indignant on my behalf. They called Indesit and managed to glean from them that the delivery date of the circuit board was 24/2/12.

D&G said that the SLA on repairs was 30 days, and would I mind waiting for the SLA to expire and then get in touch again. If the part was not in, and the machine had not been repaired, then D&G would approach Indesit for a replacement. The D&G person was positive that a new machine would soon be on the way to me. He also said I would be able to claim for my laundry costs.

The SLA expired today.

Once again, I'm on the phone to D&G explaining that the SLA has now expired and can they now push for a replacement machine.

Indesit flatly refused to replace the machine, as they HAVE the part coming on the 24/2/12, so despite failing to reach D&G's SLA, I now have to wait - again.

It was at this stage that I lost it just ever so slightly.

I told them to cancel the policy - what possible use is it anyway? They then enraged me even more by telling me that if I cancelled, I would be charged for the engineer's initial visit - a cost of £127. As the remainder of my year's *cough* "insurance" is £167.92, I decided to leave the policy to run it's course, but told them, quite categorically, that there will be no renewal.

I also told them to cancel the repair.

I went on line and bought a new washing machine which will be delivered and installed on Saturday.

I couldn't even be ar*ed to fight for the compensation for laundry costs - it's cost me £40 so far, and I reckon that's a small price to pay to get rid of D&G.

...and breathe......
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 08:16 PM
BTW, thanks to everyone who's responded so far. I don't think I'll be insuring ever again......
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Oh dear - that is bad Vicki, no wonder you were fuming!
My machine has had circuit boards, a new motor, a new drum & numerous other things & the service I have had has always been great (fridge incident aside)
erm which washing machine did you buy because the engineer told me that Indiset & hotpoint machines are crap!
Mine was a hotpoint super silent - thought it was good at the time, but it didn't stay silent for long!
My new one is a Samsung, it's got all singing all dancing features & it has a 5 year guarantee on parts & a 10 year guarantee on the silent motor & it really is quiet.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:22 PM
TBH, the Hotpoint machine has been a good one... albeit it tad noisy.

I wouldn't have an Indesit as a gift - cheap rubbish, IMO.

The one I've ordered is a Whirlpool one. It was £289

I wanted the Bosch one, really, but £550 was a bit steep.