Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
siouxb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2006, 04:10 PM

When do I neuter my pooch?

I have a very lively 6 1/2 month old black lad/GSD cross called Barney. Gorgeous dog, extremely lively, affectionate, toilet trained, good recall except when other dogs around, the he's off and bouncing for hours!

Another walker told me to have him neutered as it will calm him down.
What's the best age to do this? I don't want to dampen his enthusiasm for life, but he's too powerful for my boys to hold him on a lead sometimes, especially the younger one
(13)

Are there any implications to having it done young, health or behaviour, that we need to consider?

I really would be grateful for any advice or information you could give us

Many thanks
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Its all down to personal opinion on this one. It sounds as if Barney is the same as any other puppy his age. I know my pup is bouncy, lively and full of energy...and he's only 12wks old. This doesnt mean I will get him neutered!

I personally wouldnt castrate unless there was a medical reason for doing so. Who's to say that castration will calm the dog down??? I started a thread about this not so long ago, and with the help and advice from everyone on this site it helped me decide not to castrate unless there was a medical problem.

Some people also choose to castrate males who hump everything in sight. Its a myth that castrating stops them from doing it, some still do it after castration.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Sounds like a normal, happy friendly fellow, why on earth would you want to risk changing all that? leave him alone, he's healthy!
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

21-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Sioux - Barney is just being a boisterous puppy, sorry but castrating him at this age will make very little difference - if any. I think it would be a good idea if you and perhaps #1 son could find a training club somewhere near you, it's fun to do, Barney would be all the better for it. Ideally all the family should go along, at least for one or two sessions to see what goes on so that they know what you are doing, and what you are trying to achieve.

Your local pet shop might know of a training club, or somebody you meet when exercising Barney. If not try the Kennel Club, I will try to finds out the right dept and let you know, although I expect someone on Dogsey will be able to help with that.

I do have the odd book on dog training if you are interested, just PM me. Kath
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

21-11-2006, 08:24 PM
I agree with the others he is just a typically boisterous puppy and I would not have him neutered except for health reasons.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Our 'puppy' was one last week and can still bounce off walls at an alarming rate, i wouldnt let your sons handle him anyway as if he does go upto a dog that isnt friendly your sons cant be accepted to sort that situation out.

I've had one castrated as we had an entire bitch and it made no difference tbh he just calmed down at his own rate.
siouxb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for that, it's along my own way of thinking anyway!

But as he is a rescue pup, we do have to neuter him at some stage, it's in the agrement we signed, so, what's the ideal age do you think?

sioux
x
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 09:31 PM
I'd leave him til he was about a year old, then have him done
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 10:00 PM
I wouldnt have him done until he was at least 2 years old. Dogs need the hormones to grow to their ideal adult bone structure. My vet nurse told me that dogs are not fully matured until they are 2 so i would do it after then.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 10:05 PM
I would probably have it done around a year to 18mths old. Though alot of rescues require it's done at 6mths, perhaps check your agreement to see if there is an age stipulated on it.

Have you asked you vet for opinions on it?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >