Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I've been a veggie for 24 years and would NEVER go back to eating meat. I cannot understand how you can be a true veggie and revert back to meat eating.

But, that's because I stopped eating meat because the thought of it grossed me out (the texture and the idea that it's really flesh), I'm not a strict veggie (I love my seafood too much) and I am NOT in it for the poor little cows.

Meat is disgusting. There is nothing worse than the smell of lamb, seeing someone rip flesh off the bone and the sight of blood pouring our of a rare steak is the stuff horror movies are made of for me.

Fortunately hubbie is also a veggie ;o)

I think veganism is nuts but I admire anyone who is a strict vegetarian.
See this is what gets me, I cant get my head round the fact that people find the smell of lamb disgusting! In my opinion there is no smell better than the smell of a nice bit of lamb slow cooking.

I do see your point about the thought of it being flesh though. The thought sometimes crosses my mind but the tastes always takes over!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
See this is what gets me, I cant get my head round the fact that people find the smell of lamb disgusting! In my opinion there is no smell better than the smell of a nice bit of lamb slow cooking.

I do see your point about the thought of it being flesh though. The thought sometimes crosses my mind but the tastes always takes over!
It's just a gross smell. But then I don't like the smell of fish cooking, yet I love (most of)it!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

31-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
See that's it, humans have always eaten meat.

After being very strict veggie for 17 years I know I won't make a blind bit of difference, and it is in fact done for your own self satisfaction.
I also hate veggies who preach. I was never one of those.
When I worked in the deli I hand carved hams and smoked salmon etc, and the customers would say 'I bet you love being able to treat yourself to a bit of that' and were quite shocked when I told them I was a veggie.
Interestingly, we also found if we labelled a cheese as veggie, it killed it's sales. So we didn't, and if someone asked I could tell them which ones were.

I am also a country girl, always have been, and apart from local industry concerns I would hate to see our fields empty and our whole way of life threatened because the livestock were no longer wanted.

So if you're veggie, great, good for you, but keep quiet about it as it does vegetarianism no favours to preach. I eat meat, and I eat local quality meat when possible, and free range where possible..... although as I've stated I've eaten pate de fois gras without any qualms.

I love seeing the animals and am happy to put them to good use when new ones come along to take their place:grin:
But why should I keep quiet about the fact Ive been veggie for mumblemumble years? Its nothing to be ashamed of is it? If people ask me I tell them – whats the problem? Ive never preached to anyone but if asked I tell them. Quite frankly I find it very patronising of you to say all us veggies do it for our own self satisfaction – who are you to judge people like that? Why do you care so strongly anyway?

Does that extend to dogs?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

31-01-2010, 10:39 PM
I want to live, and I mean live not just exist, that means I like to experience extremes in most things, and wide variety of things in life.... and that includes tastes. Being veggie just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.
What??? Us veggies just exist – see that’s the sort of attitude I don’t get. Why do you think vegetarians don’t live life to the full? To me life is not all about eating meat its about lots of other stuff as well. I really really dont get why we just exist???
spot
Dogsey Veteran

31-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I do find it strange because in my experience (and I went veggie when it was virtually unheard of) its not the veggies who preach but meat eaters who constantly go on about being veggie is unnatural, the animals will disappear yadda yadda yadda – why does it mean such a big deal to meat eaters that people are veggie – what is the big problem its just a life choice is all.

I really couldn’t give a monkeys what you eat why is it so important to others what people eat?

I must admit I do find it strange when people go on about other cultures eating dogs, monkey brains whatever and then eat cows, lambs, veal etc. to me there is no difference..

I never missed meat and I must say going veggie improved my cooking skill no end – such a great change from the meat and 2 veg boring routine.

I did miss fish but then my later job confirmed that it was the right decision as some fish became my mates!!!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

31-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Why? I cant get my head around how people can find the smell of bacon cooking – even as a child I couldn’t digest pork so it smells disgusting to me. Some people find the smell of fish cooking horrible – I don’t, some people find the smell of petrol horrible – I love it! Surely its not that difficult to understand that people find different things smell nice and others don’t – people do not all have to be the same?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I was tempted by my boyfriends little sausage
LOL does he know you are telling us all he has a little sausage

Personaly, I have pointy teeth and grindy teeth so I eat meat
I love the taste and the texture

I think about it often but in many ways I dont see being veggie as being a whole lot more ethical, processing foods within a inch of their lives to make them taste a little like chicken

I feel it is more important to resect the animal and dont waste it and do your best to make sure it is ethicaly reared and treated
Its a dilema but my choise is to eat meat.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I do find it strange because in my experience (and I went veggie when it was virtually unheard of) its not the veggies who preach but meat eaters who constantly go on about being veggie is unnatural, the animals will disappear yadda yadda yadda – why does it mean such a big deal to meat eaters that people are veggie – what is the big problem its just a life choice is all.

I really couldn’t give a monkeys what you eat why is it so important to others what people eat?

I must admit I do find it strange when people go on about other cultures eating dogs, monkey brains whatever and then eat cows, lambs, veal etc. to me there is no difference..
I never missed meat and I must say going veggie improved my cooking skill no end – such a great change from the meat and 2 veg boring routine.

I did miss fish but then my later job confirmed that it was the right decision as some fish became my mates!!!
eh? so now i eat some meat again im not safe around my companions and best friends???
thats like saying cos my dogs enjoy raw meat there gonna want to eat me?
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:54 PM
But why should I keep quiet about the fact Ive been veggie for mumblemumble years? Its nothing to be ashamed of is it? If people ask me I tell them – whats the problem? Ive never preached to anyone but if asked I tell them. Quite frankly I find it very patronising of you to say all us veggies do it for our own self satisfaction – who are you to judge people like that? Why do you care so strongly anyway?

Does that extend to dogs?
I am a veggie, or was, and yes if people ask I told them, what I never appreciated were the preaching veggies of which you have stated you are not, so no probs there then.
If you don't do it for self satisfaction then why do it? For health reasons? Nope, because veggie diets can be far more unhealthy that non-veggie ones, emphasis on the 'can' before any toys get thrown out of prams. It's about feeling better about not eating meat because of the animals. If people could eat meat without animals being involved, they would, hence why there is so much veggie food that tries to emulate meat, veggie haggis, veggie hot dogs, mince, bacon, salami.... loads.
I don't care strongly at all, just commenting on the discussion from my own experience of being a veggie.... so chill anyone who knows me knows I'm far too laid back for that, which is unusual as they used to say the meat eaters are the more aggressive ones.

And if dogs were an animal that was farmed for their meat, then maybe I would eat one, but they're not, least not round here... and just as well as there is a clause on my land that I must not have livestock lol. It's not part of my culture to eat a dog, and if it were, which is never likely to happen, the production of dog meat would be ruled by the standards and rules of other livestock production, not as it happens in say, China.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 11:03 PM
What??? Us veggies just exist – see that’s the sort of attitude I don’t get. Why do you think vegetarians don’t live life to the full? To me life is not all about eating meat its about lots of other stuff as well. I really really dont get why we just exist???
You're just not getting it. I was a veggie so I know, for sure, that you cannot get the same flavours from food/life as you do if you eat meat, end of. You are restricted as to what you can eat through choice, and so that is a choice I decided to stop choosing and now eat meat.

I for one never said being vegggie was un-natural at all. We're only answering the question 'why do you still eat meat' and note it's a bit of a loaded question in that it should really say 'why do you eat meat?, without the word 'still, but that's because it was written by a veggie.
And as I've already said I would have n problem eating any meat other than the regular chicken, beef etc if I knew where it came from etc...... and being an ex-veggie I now have the advantage of all the veggie dishes PLUS all the meat ones to choose from, so no meat and 2 veg here.... or even nut roasts., which as a veggie who doesn't eat nuts was soooooo annoying.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
LOL does he know you are telling us all he has a little sausage
No, but then that maybe because he is an EX boyfriend
Page 9 of 25 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »