labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
LOL does he know you are telling us all he has a little sausage

Personaly, I have pointy teeth and grindy teeth so I eat meat
I love the taste and the texture

I think about it often but in many ways I dont see being veggie as being a whole lot more ethical, processing foods within a inch of their lives to make them taste a little like chicken

I feel it is more important to resect the animal and dont waste it and do your best to make sure it is ethicaly reared and treated
Its a dilema but my choise is to eat meat.
LOL...try nothing like chicken and a lot like cardboard! that stuff is g-r-o-s-s, tasteless, nasty, yuck. My dogs food smells far more appetizing then that Quorn stuff.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Something I have always wanted to ask meat eaters, would you still eat it if you had to kill it and skin it etc...? I have this theory that I couldn't do that and have no right therefore to eat meat, my dogs would, in the wild kill and eat meat so therefore they are given raw meat to eat and not fed a vegetarian diet.
I don't mean that nastily to meat eaters, each to their own
This is how i would want to live ideally and its what we are saving for, to have a small holding where we rear, kill and cook our own food. i agree that if i cant do it, then i have no right to eat it, so that will determine it for me, I used to go rabbiting as a child and skin the rabbits without a problem.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
But why should I keep quiet about the fact Ive been veggie for mumblemumble years? Its nothing to be ashamed of is it? If people ask me I tell them – whats the problem? Ive never preached to anyone but if asked I tell them. Quite frankly I find it very patronising of you to say all us veggies do it for our own self satisfaction – who are you to judge people like that? Why do you care so strongly anyway?

Does that extend to dogs?
But Spot, Wishbone won't quite 'get it' because she was never a true vegetarian. If she didn't eat meat but then reverted back she'll automatically need to justify it to herself and her way of doing that will have been to say she was only doing it to be self righteous. Alot of people are vegetarian for this reason, but there are alot who are not.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 08:10 AM
I must say as a vegetarian, who doesn't eat fish, fowl or flesh, I don't feel I am missing out on anything really, I only have two food passions (and had those when I ate meat) cheese and chocolate!! I know all about dairy farming, I watched programmes and was a member of the vegetarian society, but sorry cows I LOVE cheese!!!
I have never ever preached to anyone to stop eating meat, apart from saying would you still eat it if you had to kill it, skin it, joint it etc... But the number of meat eaters who preach to me is amazing... ooh you should eat meat its good for me...
Each to their own, I say, I hate the taste of meat, I hated lamb, pork, turkey, then went off beef, then chicken, then just gave it up all together and fried bacon? Yuk makes me want to be sick.... now wheres my cheese?!!!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
But Spot, Wishbone won't quite 'get it' because she was never a true vegetarian. If she didn't eat meat but then reverted back she'll automatically need to justify it to herself and her way of doing that will have been to say she was only doing it to be self righteous. Alot of people are vegetarian for this reason, but there are alot who are not.
Here here!! I don't tell people I'm veggie unless asked as I get sooo bored with people having something to say about it And as for the abuse I inflinct on my children time to call ss!! Oh by the way I am veggie and I don't eat quorn and I still find something to eat.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Very interesting thread guys - thanks for taking part

I wish I could respond to all posts but I'd be here forever but here's a few points I want to make again:

People still eating cheese/milk products

Cheese is full of fat - and made from milk from cows who are given hormones to make them produce around 25 times the amount of milk they normally would! Also, because of the conditions they're kept in they get sick, pus on their udders and bacteria (ecoli) infested diarrhoea ends up in the milk. That's why they have to pasteurise it. But your still eating/drinking it!! Not to mention routine antibiotics etc.

Actually, a number of tests have shown that farmed fish is actually very low in Omega3/6. And... high in mercury and other pollutants such as PCBs!! I was eating fish a number of times a week thinking it's healthy.. how wrong was I!!

You're better off getting your Omega oils from things like linseeds/nuts/beans etc.

Also re your point about poultry - it's probably far worse than red meat. Anitibiotics/steroids/hormones etc etc

Unless the farm belongs to royalty, they almost certainly still use things like organophosphate dips. The thing is farmers are brainwashed like doctors - they think much of this stuff is ok. And remb it's a business - they need to make money and will use whatever shortcuts _they_ think are reasonble/needed.

The only way you'd be sure is if you farmed it yourselves.

Spooky! I have special powers

Re your point about killing to eat - I personally have no probs with that so long it is truly done humanely. My main gripe is the cruelty they endure from birth to death, and the health risks to us because of the way animals are farmed (growth hormones/antibiotics etc).

Actually, our digestive systems are geared more towards eating a plant based diet than a meat based one. We can still digest meat but it's much more difficult for our bodies to do so. (This is based on science comparing digestive systems of carnivores and herbivores - and how food is digested in them.)

They wouldn't disappear but would yes be drastically cut down. They are unnaturally in too high a number anyway (as they are being f a r m e d). And would it be a good idea if the numbers reduced? YES, a big fat YES. Farmed animals produce more carbon dioxide than cars!

So you'd be saving the planet too
Thanks AZZ you just put me right off my cup of tea! That's it I've messed about long enough vegan it is!!!

Originally Posted by lisa0307 View Post
Been a Vegan since I was 15 and never looked back ...wouldn't dream of ever eating meat or animal products again
Consider yourself chief advisor to the new vegans thanks for those links I will enjoy looking through those!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Don't get me wrong... I will never try to convert people from veggie/vegan to being a meat eater.

However, I just think it's very simplistic to say we should all stop eating meat and the farmers and other people involved in the farming/meat industry will have to just sort it out themselves. If someone has farmed animals for 40 years, they can't just go and grow corn or wheat, it doesn't work like that!

And, lets face it - getting rid of all the cattle etc won't do a darned thing to help climate change. Stopping people flying all over the world unnecessarily, stopping places like China etc building new coal power stations, getting people out of their private cars etc would have more of a impact.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
eh???? why not? its not a religion

i didnt eat meat for 15years (fish either) so was i never a 'true veggie'
and no Pidge i dont need to justify anything to myself...if i fancy something i will eat it,if i dont i wont.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Don't get me wrong... I will never try to convert people from veggie/vegan to being a meat eater.

However, I just think it's very simplistic to say we should all stop eating meat and the farmers and other people involved in the farming/meat industry will have to just sort it out themselves. If someone has farmed animals for 40 years, they can't just go and grow corn or wheat, it doesn't work like that!

And, lets face it - getting rid of all the cattle etc won't do a darned thing to help climate change. Stopping people flying all over the world unnecessarily, stopping places like China etc building new coal power stations, getting people out of their private cars etc would have more of a impact.
Likewise I would never try and convert anyone the other way. At no point in time will everyone be vegetarian or vegan but I would love for the mass production to stop. The supermarkets have made meat too cheap and forced corners to be cut. I think as many of you that still eat meat have said if your meat is sourced locally and a fair price is paid (one that enables the farmers to farm properly) then I don't have an issue with it. My OH still eats meat and that's his choice!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
eh???? why not? its not a religion

i didnt eat meat for 15years (fish either) so was i never a 'true veggie'
and no Pidge i dont need to justify anything to myself...if i fancy something i will eat it,if i dont i wont.
It is the comment about how all vegetarians only do it for their own self satisfaction that leads me to that conclusion!! I have no issue with anyone starting to eat meat again if they want to and happily agree eat what you want but then don't say I am only veggie for that reason! I eat what I too just doesn't include meat. There's no smugness or self satisfaction involved!
Page 10 of 25 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »