View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 01:06 AM

Middle of the night fright! Your irrational fears/phobias?

This evening I was really tired as I hadn't slept much for the past 3 days. I finally got myself off to sleep about 12ish, all nice and tucked up in bed with Molly... At about quarter to one, I woke up and as my eyes adjusted to the gloom, I spied... a massive spider crawling past my pillow, right at eye level.

Having grown up in the countryside and seen far too many massive spiders crawl out from unexpected places, I am absolutely petrified of the bloody things, so I leapt from my bed like greased lightening and legged it into the hallway while screaming at the top of my voice. My mum came dashing out of her room, managed to make out from my high pitched squeals that there was a spider in my bed, went to check my duvet and bedroom floor but there was absolutely no spider anywhere to be seen... I am now too scared to go back to bed!

Anyone else here have any crazy irrational fears?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 02:12 AM
Yep Spiders is my biggie too, absolutely HATE them!

I once was woken in the night by the feeling of something scurrying across my face. When I came to I couldn't see anything so went to the kitchen to get a drink. As I was drinking my juice I saw something out of the corner of my eye - the spider was still in my hair and climbing towards my face!!!!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Yep Spiders is my biggie too, absolutely HATE them!

I once was woken in the night by the feeling of something scurrying across my face. When I came to I couldn't see anything so went to the kitchen to get a drink. As I was drinking my juice I saw something out of the corner of my eye - the spider was still in my hair and climbing towards my face!!!!
Ooh that's horrible! It wasn't a big one was it?!

I dunno why they're so creepy, there's just something about their legs..
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:10 AM
I do not like spiders, but I also hate the fact I am irrationally scared of them. It drives me nuts that I do not like these things that have never done anything to me and likely never will!

So - I have tried....(really hard) each time I see a Spider to give myself a stern talking to and (depended on the size) get close or even pick it up.
Oddly, it has worked to a degree, I no longer get really phobic of them, can generally move them myself (although need a glass depending on the size.)

However - IF I find one on my clothes I still panic

I also had a similar experience to you - I was house sitting for a friend (converted barn) and suddenly one night woke bolt up, I could not figure why, until I turned the light on and there was a Hooooge spider on the wall just behind my bed....I have a horrid feeling it walk over my face (which was what woke me).....but I lived to tell the tale, so it obviously had no ulterior motive!.
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:23 AM
I dont like spiders either, but I hate seeing people kill them, so I normally dont say anything and just hope it moves out of view!
I'm fine aslong as there nowhere near me or I cant see them!

This will probably sound nuts! But I also get paranoid that when i here a noise in the night that theres someone in the house! My mind always jump to the worst case scenario so its always an armed robber or a murderer
Of course it has never been either....
I really should stop watching the Crime and Investigation channels and Crime Watch!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:30 AM
FEATHERS!! On live Birds only though!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Really not keen on clowns but i am pertrified of wasps. Dont mind bees because I know if they sing you they have to suffer the consequences, Wasps can just go about willy nilly stinging as they go!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Really not keen on clowns but i am pertrified of wasps. Dont mind bees because I know if they sing you they have to suffer the consequences, Wasps can just go about willy nilly stinging as they go!
Its Ok...in the grand scheme of things - I think you have the better defences
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Don't get me started!! My life is full of irrational fears, hence how my aggoraphobia got a hold a few years ago
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2011, 11:03 AM
im petrified of clowns i hate them!! i get a really bad fear that there is one under the bed... so i dont sleep with any body part hanging over the edge... i hate staying in on my own because i always get paranoid there is someone there.

one of my friends holly who is 22 now sleeps with her hands in tight fists because when she was little her sister said that when she was asleep a man would come and chop off her fingers and replace them with sponge
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >