Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-09-2010, 04:44 PM

Dutch doesnt like white dogs??

well it seems that way...

Dutch gets on really well with dogs and people, he loves meeting new dogs when out, but ive noticed that we will growl and howl at white dogs, no other colour, just white.
The dogs can be big or small and any breed but if there white he takes an instant disliking ?

As to now he has howled at a white jack russel, a white staffie, a west highland terrier and a pyrenean mountain dog !!

not sure whats going on or how to stop this!
he's never had a bad experience with a white dog that i am aware of....

any help would be appreciated, thanks.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi again my beagle Willow took an instant dislike to a new black dog in the family but i think it's just a puppy energy problem. My first foster hated him too and in the 8 weeks of her being with us she was great with any dog she met,yet wanted to have a pop at this dog,she then did it to another all black dog when out walking and still hates any black dog she comes accross with her new owner! I was told by someone that it's because they find it hard to read the other dogs facial expressions so can make them wary,don't know if this could be the same for all white dogs???? I suggest you try and give a treat when you come accross a white dog if he behaves ,he then might associate nice things happen when white dogs are about,good luck.!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by EGYPTGAL View Post
Hi again my beagle Willow took an instant dislike to a new black dog in the family but i think it's just a puppy energy problem. My first foster hated him too and in the 8 weeks of her being with us she was great with any dog she met,yet wanted to have a pop at this dog,she then did it to another all black dog when out walking and still hates any black dog she comes accross with her new owner! I was told by someone that it's because they find it hard to read the other dogs facial expressions so can make them wary,don't know if this could be the same for all white dogs???? I suggest you try and give a treat when you come accross a white dog if he behaves ,he then might associate nice things happen when white dogs are about,good luck.!!
I had a Beagle try to attack my dog at an agility class. The trainer of the class told me it was "breed specific behaviour" so I rang the Beagle Breed association to see what they said. The lady there said this dog was just untrained and out of control but Beagles could dislike black dogs because of the difficulty in reading their expressions.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi kerryowner the trainer is talking rubbish as the Jack russel I fostered had major black dog issues and wasn't a beagle seems to be a problem with any breed not specific breeds,my beagles are great with all dogs they meet and i certainly wouldn't have been able to foster 7 other dogs in the past year if they weren't What i do know about them is that now they're older they find excitable pups annoying and will tell them off if they hang off their ears too much They shouldn't be so long!!!!But it isn't aggression, so would agree with the beagle association that the beagle that had a go at your dog had issues for whatever reason as can be the case with any dog.Just to say that Willow doesn't have a problem with any other black dogs just my sister in laws:although now hes a bit older he seems to accept him more If only dogs could talk......
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=EGYPTGAL;2047383]Hi kerryowner the trainer is talking rubbish as the Jack russel I fostered had major black dog issues and wasn't a beagle seems to be a problem with any breed not specific breeds,my beagles are great with all dogs they meet and i certainly wouldn't have been able to foster 7 other dogs in the past year if they weren't What i do know about them is that now they're older they find excitable pups annoying and will tell them off if they hang off their ears too much They shouldn't be so long!!!!But it isn't aggression, so would agree with the beagle association that the beagle that had a go at your dog had issues for whatever reason as can be the case with any dog.Just to say that Willow doesn't have a problem with any other black dogs just my sister in laws:although now hes a bit older he seems to accept him more If only dogs could talk......[/QUOTE)

Thanks for your reply Egyptal. That's what I thought too.
I would be insulted if it was my breed that had behaved like this and I was told it was "breed specific behaviour"!

The Beagles I have met on the heath were all nice friendly dogs and fine with mine.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks kerryowner i think the long and short of it is any dog breed can have a behaviour problem ,but that doesn't mean all dogs of that breed will be the same Now if the trainer had said all beagles go deaf when they get a scent she may have been on the right track......