Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dennydog
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by ajshep1984 View Post
Neither am I sure what thread you are reading, from what I've read you are the only one predicting he will suffer, everyone else seems pretty open minded.

You haven't been reading the posts very carefully then, have you? I've quoted some of them below for you to re-read, all of them saying either he will suffer, or their long coated dogs suffer less than their short coated dogs.

Originally Posted by Border1 View Post
i agree it is lazy inexperinced ownersand those who cant be bothered with grooming who shave there dogs , i wouldnt dream of shaving my borders they need there coats
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I don't think shaving is an act of cruelty but I do agree that it is usually done by those who cannot groom their dogs properly so leaving them fully coated and matted is probably the act of cruelty there.
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
The three I have now are easy to groom, but my late Meg was double coated and I always groomed her...daily
I think shaving is for lazy groomers. when the dog has got matted etc
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
Maybe shaving double coated dogs isn't cruelty in the sense that beating dogs is cruelty, but it is certainly ignorant and irresponsible.
In our breed, the coat is an essential part of the dog's heating and cooling system. It is equally efficient at keeping the dogs warm in extreme winter conditions and cool in hot summers. The hollow outer guard hairs are effective insulation against both heat and cold. To remove the coat in summer is to increase the likelihood of heat exhaustion, heat stroke and serious sunburn.

Mick
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
I think they look horrible clipped out, their coat is there for a number of reasons, including protecting them from the elements, which includes the sun! I have a very thick coated BC and he takes me ages to groom, but I'd never dream of clipping his coat, my others have much easier coats to maintain (2 being smooth coated).
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Our meg didn't. Now I have two smooth and I semi Long.....one of the smooth to be honest gets hotter than the others, and when he does he just lies down somewhere cool
Originally Posted by TBBS View Post
It's difficult to say, he doesn't seem to have the stamina my other 3 have, he'll be the 1st to go lay down when we're playing ball, but it doesn't have to be hot weather, if it's really hot weather and the others are hot, he seems to actually cope better than them.
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-05-2009, 11:54 PM
Val, this is boring, but I will humor you.

The fact you can't post as yourself speaks volumes.

Originally Posted by Border1
View Post
i agree it is lazy inexperinced ownersand those who cant be bothered with grooming who shave there dogs , i wouldnt dream of shaving my borders they need there coats
From one of your buddies who also has a sad little grudge, I will disregard it.

Originally Posted by Mahooli
I don't think shaving is an act of cruelty but I do agree that it is usually done by those who cannot groom their dogs properly so leaving them fully coated and matted is probably the act of cruelty there.
(my emphasis)
You need to learn to read posts for what they are and not manipulate them to fit your views.

Originally Posted by youngstevie
The three I have now are easy to groom, but my late Meg was double coated and I always groomed her...daily
I think shaving is for lazy groomers. when the dog has got matted etc
No offence to the poster but this is just an opinion, you seem to consistently confuse facts for opinions.

Jayjay isn't matted and has been groomed daily since it was necessary, as you know. He still is groomed daily despite being shaved.

Originally Posted by MickB
Maybe shaving double coated dogs isn't cruelty in the sense that beating dogs is cruelty, but it is certainly ignorant and irresponsible.
In our breed, the coat is an essential part of the dog's heating and cooling system. It is equally efficient at keeping the dogs warm in extreme winter conditions and cool in hot summers. The hollow outer guard hairs are effective insulation against both heat and cold. To remove the coat in summer is to increase the likelihood of heat exhaustion, heat stroke and serious sunburn.
A valid point, a person who's opinion I value greatly in fact but the majority of this post is in reference to another breed entirely. Huskies btw. Different breed, different coat, simples.

Originally Posted by TBBS
I think they look horrible clipped out, their coat is there for a number of reasons, including protecting them from the elements, which includes the sun! I have a very thick coated BC and he takes me ages to groom, but I'd never dream of clipping his coat, my others have much easier coats to maintain (2 being smooth coated).
His coat is still protecting him from the elements, including the sun. I have said this numerous times elsewhere but I will repeat (for the last time) that he was not shaved to save on grooming time or for my benefit, it was entirely for HIS benefit.

Originally Posted by youngstevie
Our meg didn't. Now I have two smooth and I semi Long.....one of the smooth to be honest gets hotter than the others, and when he does he just lies down somewhere cool
Not sure what relevance this has to your point. Just anecdotal evidence, one persons experience.

Originally Posted by TBBS
It's difficult to say, he doesn't seem to have the stamina my other 3 have, he'll be the 1st to go lay down when we're playing ball, but it doesn't have to be hot weather, if it's really hot weather and the others are hot, he seems to actually cope better than them.
This proves my point behind why I've shaved him, Jayjay has suffered through winter and into spring. If the opposite is true in summer then I won't shave him again but quite simply (I'm going to put this in bold capitals so that you might actually read it, not because I'm shouting) I HAVE SHAVED HIM BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT I DEEMED THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION.

Perhaps if his breeder had given better guidance and advice, rather than turning on me over one disagreement I would have gone down a different route.

To finish, and I'll be quite frank. Grow up, get over yourself and stop dwelling on things that mean jack. If you have nothing better to do than pick fault with me then you are a very sad person. I love Jayjay with all my heart, he's a brilliant dog and I'd do anything for him, as well you know.
kingbilly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-05-2009, 07:43 AM
We once gave a Bichon to a woman as a rescue, she weighed 4.5 kg and was superbly groomed by us before she went, a year later this woman brought the bichon back she was terribly matted and weighed over 16kg . Now it wouldnt be so bad if she had simply said she couldnt cope, but nope, she bought another dog that suited her needs much better, in fact she bought a dog to show and breed from a much more expensive dog than a little bichon.

Now forgive me if I am wrong here , but, doesnt that smack of poor practice, poor breeding responsibility and a puppy farmer.

We had to place the obese dog on a diet so she could walk and we groomed her over a period of many days so she wouldnt then feel attacked.....

This woman purports to be an expert and know dogs, pity she didnt know the dogs she had!
Dennydog
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by ajshep1984 View Post
Val, this is boring, but I will humor you.

The fact you can't post as yourself speaks volumes.

From one of your buddies who also has a sad little grudge, I will disregard it.

(my emphasis)
You need to learn to read posts for what they are and not manipulate them to fit your views.

No offence to the poster but this is just an opinion, you seem to consistently confuse facts for opinions.

Jayjay isn't matted and has been groomed daily since it was necessary, as you know. He still is groomed daily despite being shaved.

A valid point, a person who's opinion I value greatly in fact but the majority of this post is in reference to another breed entirely. Huskies btw. Different breed, different coat, simples.

His coat is still protecting him from the elements, including the sun. I have said this numerous times elsewhere but I will repeat (for the last time) that he was not shaved to save on grooming time or for my benefit, it was entirely for HIS benefit.

Not sure what relevance this has to your point. Just anecdotal evidence, one persons experience.

This proves my point behind why I've shaved him, Jayjay has suffered through winter and into spring. If the opposite is true in summer then I won't shave him again but quite simply (I'm going to put this in bold capitals so that you might actually read it, not because I'm shouting) I HAVE SHAVED HIM BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT I DEEMED THE BEST COURSE OF ACTION.

Perhaps if his breeder had given better guidance and advice, rather than turning on me over one disagreement I would have gone down a different route.

To finish, and I'll be quite frank. Grow up, get over yourself and stop dwelling on things that mean jack. If you have nothing better to do than pick fault with me then you are a very sad person. I love Jayjay with all my heart, he's a brilliant dog and I'd do anything for him, as well you know.

The majority of your reply makes no sense to me. I don't know why you are on the offensive, because I've looked through my two posts to you and I can't see anywhere where I've said your dog was matted, or that you don't love him, or that you haven't done what you thought was best for him. If my suggestion about combing out his undercoat offended you this much, then I apologise.

You also seem to be confusing me with someone else. I'm not a very confident person. If you look at my profile you will see I have been a member on here for a number of months and have only just now been brave enough to post. I'm glad I chatted with others on here before you came on, because if I thought you were an example of the posters on here I would never have dared post again.
kingbilly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-05-2009, 08:22 AM
why let these people get you down, pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again, words of the song say
Dennydog
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by kingbilly View Post
why let these people get you down, pick yourself up, dust yourself down and start all over again, words of the song say
Thank you kingbilly! Some good advice there.
kingbilly
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-05-2009, 09:41 AM
pleasure doin business lol
OZZYSMUM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I cant understand why people interfear with other peoples desisions, it is surly a matter of personal choice everyone is entitled to there own opinion, i would not dream of forcing my opinion on anyone else, i doubt very much anyone choosing to clip their dog is doing so to be cruel, in fact it is the opposite that is true it is because we love our dogs we do what we do for them, you may say buy a short coat instead of clipping a long coat, but there is far more involved in any breed of dog then just the length of there coat, it is the dog as a whole that people fall in-love with, the character of the breed, personality, activity level and so on, if someone is in love with a particular breed that happens to have a long coat and they decide to have their dog clipped that is their own decision to make, it really has nothing to do with anyone else, no one has the right to shout someone down for having a opinion that differs from their own,
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi,

I've never owned BCs but I did have a rescue Rough Collie/GSD. His coat was lovely whan I had hikm and I maintained it well.

However, there came a point where we were in the park and I stil to this day have no idea what he got in his fur. I couldn't get it out. I groomed him almost constantly for 4 days then cut off about an inch of his fur underneath his belly where his fur was so matted I coudn't do anyhign with it. I sent him to the groomers who cut off another inch or so, washed and blow dried him.

I wouldn't shave him as I lvoed the look of his coat but that was my choice. If he got too hot he stopped what he was doing.

Also, I've had to chop a little of Ellie's fur around her rear end. Very fluffy and easily matted but too far round for her to clean herself properly when she was in season. And to top it all off she wouldn't allow meanywhere near her.I chose to wait until the ens f her season, claned her up and chopped a bit of the fluff offthat I couldn't get as clean as I'd have liked. It's all grown back now(with a vengence) and now she has a flufffy bum!

My point is this - we all do what we think is best for our dogs. If it doesn't work then we try something else next time. I don't think shaving a dog is cruel if done with the right intentions and to the right extent.

Tose dogs who are not well cared for probably should be shaved in certin circumstances if it's deemed necessary given the condition of their coat, skin, etc.

Laura xx
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Here is a very interesting article on the insulation properties of double coated northern breed dogs and the cooling system dogs in general have naturally, obviously this topic is about northern breed dogs in a hot climate., and give the reason why shaving is not required.

quite long but very good.

http://www.samoyed.org/heat.html

mo
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »