Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2011, 07:35 PM

Can fatty cysts grow? (update @ post 6)

I know this may sound like a really silly question and i'm going to book a vets app tomorrow but i'm slightly worried.

For the past year Fizz my 12 yr old crossbreed has had a lump about the size of a golf ball on her side. Right side just where her rib cage stops.

The PDSA were the ones to diagnose her at the time as we were on low income, they said it was a fatty cyst and since going with our new vets apart from weighing etc for wormers she hasn't had a check up, she is due now.

I noticed today that it had grown, its the size of a tennis ball now, she is in no pain, eating and drinking normally, her usual self.

I was just wondering will a fatty cyst grow? it has never been hard and isn't now, its quite squishy and moves about slightly, she is in no discomfort when I touch it.
I'm a terrible worrier and now that she is getting on slightly my worrying is getting worse could it now have turned into something else?

I know we are not vets but from those of you who have experienced anything like this on your dogs, does the lump fit in with what you would call a fatty cyst?

Pictures added:

This is where it is

Size

Look

Inspecting everywhere I have just come across this on her right front leg

Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Hello there from a fellow worrier! Yes, our last but one dog, a lovely mongrel, had several fatty lumps - some remained small and never changed shape or size, but a couple did grow quite big.

If your girl's lump is not attached to the ribs, or anything else, and moves fairly freely then that is a very good sign. The best thing of course is that check up that you are having shortly, when your vet will be able to have good look.

If it is just a rather large fatty lump, then it will probably be up to you whether you wish to have it removed or just live with it.

Good luck.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 08:39 PM
These fatty lumps are called lypomas (if that's what it is).

As you say they are soft and move under the fingers, hard, non movable lumps are usually much less benign tumours.

They not infrequently grow with age, and if a dog has lost weight they can appear bigger, as they are less obscured by body fat.

They often start when a dog gets a knock and as dogs can accumulate knocks over a life time they tend to increase in number in susceptible dogs as they get older.

Although unsightly, they are generally harmless, unless unfortunately positioned.

If they are big enough, or placed badly such as getting in the dogs's way (e.g. impeding the dog's gait), it may be worth removing them.

Otherwise may vets suggesting leaving them alone as they will frequently grow back anyway and disturbing them can sometimes prompt further proliferation of cells/growth of the lump.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Thank you for your comments, i'm hoping my normal vet will give me a little more info if she can get seen tomorrow *crosses fingers*

I will try and get a pic uploaded to explain better where it is because it is sort of by her ribs but more towards the under chest section... im pickling my own head trying to explain so good luck with reading
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Parker (9 and a half) has had one on his chest for a few years. The vet said not to worry but to keep an eye on it and bring him back if it grew or moved. Izzy (almost 9) has one on her back and it is being removed in a couple of weeks when she has her teeth-cleaning operation.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Follow on thread from here

Around a year ago when Fizz had suddenly got a lump we took her to the PDSA (made redundant at time) they diagnosed it as a fatty cyst so it was left at that.

As mentioned in the other thread its now grown, went to the our vets today and had it checked out, she thinks its cancer but cannot diagnose 100% without testing it which Fizz needs to be sedated for.

Now this is the worrying part, they are a bit nervous about putting her under because of her age, she will be 13 in Feb so now the decision is mine.

I have so much going through my mind

Do I risk her on the table?
If I don't do the surgery I will never know, if I do she may pull through and be fine or we find out its nothing to worry about.
Do I leave her be because of her age and just carry on as normal and if she starts failing take her back?.

Has anybody else been through this?
What would you do if you were in my position?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by taz_in_2001 View Post
Follow on thread from here

Around a year ago when Fizz had suddenly got a lump we took her to the PDSA (made redundant at time) they diagnosed it as a fatty cyst so it was left at that.

As mentioned in the other thread its now grown, went to the our vets today and had it checked out, she thinks its cancer but cannot diagnose 100% without testing it which Fizz needs to be sedated for.

Now this is the worrying part, they are a bit nervous about putting her under because of her age, she will be 13 in Feb so now the decision is mine.

I have so much going through my mind

Do I risk her on the table?
If I don't do the surgery I will never know, if I do she may pull through and be fine or we find out its nothing to worry about.
Do I leave her be because of her age and just carry on as normal and if she starts failing take her back?.

Has anybody else been through this?
What would you do if you were in my position?
Been in a similar situation, my vet wants to have both lumps on my dog aspirated, I have declined on the grounds that whatever the result is it will not change how I deal with her.

I will not have her operated on, nor give her chemotherapy, she is 11.

As long as she is a happpy little soul I am not going to start cutting her open.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Been in a similar situation, my vet wants to have both lumps on my dog aspirated, I have declined on the grounds that whatever the result is it will not change how I deal with her.

I will not have her operated on, nor give her chemotherapy, she is 11.

As long as she is a happpy little soul I am not going to start cutting her open.
Thats the word I was looking for aspirated.

They said I could have that done or have the lump removed both require sedation though .

They also mentioned an xray of her chest to see something... can't remember what as I was shocked with the C word

She is fine in herself and the lump doesn't bother her so I am in a right state at the moment as of what to do, it doesn't help that we have been told this so close to Keilas 1st anniversary , i'm a bit emotional as it is without all this added.

She has another appointment Monday, they have given me the weekend to think of what I want to do
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by taz_in_2001 View Post
Thats the word I was looking for aspirated.

They said I could have that done or have the lump removed both require sedation though .

I have had a lump aspirated on Star without any sedation, it just takes a minute or so. If you want to go that route it might be worth asking if they can do it without sedation.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Sadie - 10 in September - has had two fatty lumps near her rib cage since she was about 6, her owners weren't worried (they seemed to think it was fatty lumps) and they had nothing to worry about - they are still the same size (although one has grown a little) and she isn't in any pain or has any problems with them - it is up to you what you want to do. Personally I would've liked her owners to have took her to the vets when I found them (rather than me crying my eyes out on Christmas day when I found them) but I think they're lucky people..

Do what you think is best for Fizz..
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »