Our sister sites
Our sister sites
westie lover
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Puppy training in the Blackpool area

Hi there,

I am new to the forum. Both my daughters are on here and introduced me to Dogsey

I have a 15 week old Westie called Billy.
He came home to us at 12 weeks old so was a little bit older than ideal but he is settling in nicely.

We have another dog, a boxer called Lewis, and both my daughters have dogs (pug and a schnauzer), so he is being quite well socialized.

I would love to take him to some puppy training classes that use positive training methods.

Does anyone know of any good groups in the Blackpool area? Or how I would find these?

Many thanks,

June
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi June

There is training in Thorton/Cleveleys area... I used to go with both my boys (Boxers). They do puppy classes and general obedience as well as KC Good Citizen stuff.

There is also one in Bispham which does the same things, and is run by (almost) the same people.

I'll see if I can dig out phone numbers for you
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 01:48 PM
THORNTON CLEVELEYS CANINE TRAINING SOCIETY

FRANK TOWNEND COMMUNITY CENTRE, KENSINGTON ROAD
FY5 1ER THORNTON-CLEVELEYS , LANCASHIRE

Phone: 01253 896193

Can't find the one for Bispham, but the Thornton/Cleveleys one is a good place to start
westie lover
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks so much, I will try the number again this evening- no answer at the moment.

How did you find them?

Thanks again
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:04 PM
http://www.apdt.co.uk/trainers_area.asp?area=Lancashire

All members of the APDT must use only kind and fair techniques, I am not sure if any of the attached are near you but I can really recommend Lynda Edmundson and Michelle Nuttall, both clicker trainers and positive methods.

Alternatively google Puppy School to see if there is one in your area, these are franchises of Gwen Bailey, who is also a positive trainer.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by westie lover View Post
Thanks so much, I will try the number again this evening- no answer at the moment.

How did you find them?

Thanks again
I used the Thornton Cleveleys one with both my dogs from puppies (they are 4 and 5 now), so I knew I had a number somewhere. I was speaking to one of the trainers in the local Library at the weekend, so I knew they were still around!

I just googled "thornton cleveleys dog training"

From the link below (from apdt) there are only a couple in a decent driveable distance; and that still depends on how far you are able/want to travel...

There is www.hestbankkennels.co.uk who are good, but up towards Morecambe, which can be a hellish drive.

Also, Deb Gornall at www.tinkleburypapillons.co.uk is in Goosnargh - I've heard lots of good things about her.

And finally, Angela at www.tailtappingantics.co.uk is also brill, but she is in Chorley, which is about an hours drive....
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
And finally, Angela at www.tailtappingantics.co.uk is also brill, but she is in Chorley, which is about an hours drive....
This one is the trainer/dog walker/groomer that I use
She has helped me loads with my dog agressive dog, but as Isochick says, it's a bit of a drive for you!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Is Lytham st Annes any good to you?

rune
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2010, 11:38 PM
On my mums behalf, thank you all very much! I will pass the info on as she doesnt get on the computer too often.
Rune, Lytham St Annes is not far away at all, would you know someone?
Anywhere further than cleveleys/lytham is a bit far for her to travel but thanks for your suggestions guys xxx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2010, 08:49 AM
E mail, adrizz@clara.co.uk .

Not sure what she runs at the moment but her clients seem to have a LOT of fun and meet socially for walks etc as well.

My dog is friends with a lot of them on FB

rune