Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 11:19 AM

pregnancy

Hey all,

Just curious, as I don't have any dogs right now (so am not breeding) - how should a bitch be fed during pregnancy? NOt so much what food, but how much? and whelping - after she's had the pups, how should she look? Would it be natural for her to appear skinny and underweight, or should she be as normal with plenty of meat on her? If anyone has photos of bitches just after pregnancy (say 3 weeks as max) i would be grateful - perhaps, mostly of spitz types, malamutes, utongans, inuits, huskies etc etc.

Thanks for you help!

xx
*ps - this does have a point - but i'm not sure what yet - so any info would eb very useful!
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:12 PM
I feed mine a good Quality puppy food throughout pregnacy, in the last three weeks i feed three times a day as it is easier for them to cope with as they are usually feeling uncomfortable and the smaller meals are easier to cope with. After the pups are born i feed light meals for the first couple of days i also give Welpi or Lactol to drink (about a pint a day) as they sometimes won,t eat to well for a few days, the welpi or lactol i,ve found mine love and it is full of vitamins i also make sure they have plenty of water to drink. After the first week i start increasing the amounts and feed up to four times a day as much as they want to eat really. It also depends on how many pups there are, we have only three and Holly looks really well and hasn,t lost any weight but when our Emma had her litter of eight she lost condition in the third week as the pups took more out of her than she could take in. I started weaning Emma's pups at 2 1/2 wks old, i only started weaning Holly's at the weekend and they are three wks now. These pics were taken today
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0430.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	1465   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0436.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1466  
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:16 PM
what a beautiful girl you have there! so is it normal for a bitch to lose condition in her third week?

xx
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:20 PM
yes it can be normal as the pups if a big litter will be taking alot from her .......one 0f mine looks like skin and bone after a litter i just make sure she eats when she wants and its good quality food
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 05:42 PM
ah ok!

thanks guys! mind at rest now!
xx