Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
I also agree that the recipient should be a worthy one
Thanks for that, we would probably agree that it wouldn't be a five minute job to sort that, but heck we can get men on the moon, communicate to anywhere in the world, fly faster than sound, surely it shouldn't be beyond the wit of of our law makers to draft legislation to make all donations 'worthy'

BTW I'll pass on that mumification link if you don't mind
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
Well can we say who gets them? i'd like kids to get mine if thats the case, or people who got there illness not through drugs or drink, look at george best wrecked a liver someone else could have had that were mine can go, i always thought your sould went on, not our body parts helen.
I consider alcoholics to have an illness and if in need of a transplant should be treated equally as anyother illness.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
Well can we say who gets them?
I hope someone will correct me if this is wrong but my understanding is that if you carry a donor card your 'parts' can be used anywhere and on anyone and none of your relatives can object.

Also your kidney can go to someone in France provided there is a reciprocal agreement in place.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I consider alcoholics to have an illness and if in need of a transplant should be treated equally as anyother illness.
If you'd ever been on the other end of an alcholics fist Stormey you wouldn't be saying that.

Losos, feel free to use that link
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
If you'd ever been on the other end of an alcholics fist Stormey you wouldn't be saying that.

Losos, feel free to use that link
No, thankfully I havent and really feel for people have, I like to think I would still understand though, but having never been in that situation I can say with any certainty that I would. Also not all alcaholics become violent there are many scum bags who use it as an excuse, this I do know.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I hope someone will correct me if this is wrong but my understanding is that if you carry a donor card your 'parts' can be used anywhere and on anyone and none of your relatives can object.

Also your kidney can go to someone in France provided there is a reciprocal agreement in place.
At present once you are clinically dead (ie brain stem)your body belongs to your next of kin, unless you have left your body for medical research,& they can go against your wishes

Body parts can go just about anywhere in the world if there is no match in the UK & the liver can be used for more than person as it is the only main organ than can regenerate itself. The same applies to donations in many other countries it's not a one way agreement
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
At present once you are clinically dead (ie brain stem)your body belongs to your next of kin, ................& they can go against your wishes
So just to be 100% clear, even if you're carrying a donor card your next of kin can object and stop any transplant, that's what you're saying isn't it. I didn't know that. Thanks.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Yep got it in one, they can't object if you have left your body for research then the hospital can "harvest"usable organs for tranplant
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Now that I've just read that, it makes me wonder whether our Government has got plans then for maybe selling any donated organs abroad then? No scruples, so I wouldn't put it past them!!!! Definitely, not having any of me now!!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Im not sure what organs of mine will be able to be donated, as i've had cancer.
Would like to donate my organs though if possible!
Always wondered this.......as me too and cann't give blood. But to be honest I don't carry a donor card. With my luck thenfirst time I did, I'd be run over
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >