View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure if "fussy" is the right description ~ it almost seems like the dogs are spoiled, & that the dogs are somehow being naughty for refusing what we consider is perfectly nutritious good food. It's like parents who tell their "fussy" children that there are starving kids in Africa who would be grateful for that food, thereby insinuating that their own kids are ungrateful brats!!

IMO & experience, some dogs just don't like some foods ~ simples!

As much as I'd like my dogs to eat chicken bones, they don't like them & won't eat them. They don't like raw eggs either. And these are labs so everyone thinks they can & should eat everything that's put in front of them! It's a bit frustrating for me as chicken wings are cheap & easy to come by ~ but as they happily eat most other things, I can live with the fact they don't like raw chicken.

I do think that there are some dogs that are very wary of novel food items ~ perhaps this is because they had limited choice of foods as pups? Perhaps they are just naturally timid with novel things anyway? And no doubt some dogs learn that they can get preferred foods if they wait long enough

I've sometimes found, with my own dogs & with friends' dogs, that if these "novel" food items are "discovered" or "caught" by the dogs themselves, they are far more interesting. So maybe hiding the pheasant/venison/duck etc under the undergrowth at th bottom of the garden would make it more palatable?. Barney won't eat raw rabbit ~ except the manky old remains he might "catch" for himself out on a walk!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 09:20 AM
my dogs won't eat pheasant either. Dan won't eat veg or rice etc. only meat. They won't eat certain dry foods and will only touch cetrain brands of yogurt. They know what they like

I wouldn't be worried if Dan or Rogue didn't eat, as they are both chunky monkeys, but Rio drops weight very quickly so I give her what I know she will eat.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 09:45 AM
I personally think the term fussy dog really means over anxious owner!

I have had several dogs presented to me with "sensitive" tummies and "fussiness" and when they have followed "TO THE LETTER" my regime of offering a food and NOTHING else, they have been miraculously "cured"!

Dogs lick their bottoms, eat putrefied meat, animal dropping often their own etc etc etc.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I personally think the term fussy dog really means over anxious owner!

I have had several dogs presented to me with "sensitive" tummies and "fussiness" and when they have followed "TO THE LETTER" my regime of offering a food and NOTHING else, they have been miraculously "cured"!

Dogs lick their bottoms, eat putrefied meat, animal dropping often their own etc etc etc.
in alot of cases defo!

but i am not like that..and one of mines weight can fluctuate up to 6kg difference

i am a firm believer of the 10 minute rule...it dont work for my guy!
funny enough..yes he does lick his own bum...other than that he doesnt eat animal droppings,food dropped in the street or take food from strangers etc
ive given up worrying bout it
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't have an issue with a dog not liking a particular "item" any more than I do with humans, when I AM concerned is when owners say their dog does not like x food, y food etc etc.

There are RARE occasions, where a dog will avoid certain foods because of an intolerance, but these are just that, rare.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Diesel's a bit of a dustbin on legs which was why I was so surprised at his refusal to eat duck. Not a problem the Dobies were more than happy to scoff it for him.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 06:06 PM
There are many things my lot wont eat.

Jessie will just about eat anything (but she was a farm dog so was probably used to it) but Flynn wont eat feathered game. My friend gave me some chicken from her butcher and also some that she'd bought alive and then prepared and the 2 boys wont touch it, yet they'll eat the chicken from the supermarket and the stuff from my butcher.
With my lot, it also seems to depend on if the meat has been sourced from somewhere different!

So yes, I believe there are things that some dogs dont like but it's mainly down to how it smells and not down to taste like it is for humans.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 07:56 PM
My lot eat almost anything I put down, BUT!!!!! Kalli absolutely refuses to eat duck, and none of them will eat pheasant.... so I'm guessing after reading this thread it has to do with the duck and pheasant as most of us agree our dogs dont like them, nothing to do with being fussy. my lot have never been pandered to, they eat it or it's taken away.
They also have a preferred tripe, they will eat the tripe I get from somewhere else but they prefer the tripe from DAF, so go figure.....
I think like us, they like or prefer some stuff and dont like other stuff, and I aint gonna force my dog to go hungry just because he should eat it, when there is a lot of food they will eat without any problems
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Isn't it strange that a lot of dogs won't eat duck or pheasant? Perhaps it's because it's more gamey?

Anyway I gave up this morning and Oscar got green tripe the same a Isla. Ate it no problem at all, so I do think it's just a case of not liking pheasant.

Here's a question for those who believe that it's a case of the owner pandering to the dog: How far would you push it? If you were me would you continue to take the pheasant away and offer it again at the next mealtime until the dog ate it eg until the dog was starving rather than hungry?

I honestly believe it would take Oscar to be starving before he'd eat it, which I think would take several days! I guess I'm just not willing to starve a dog just to get it to eat one particular item for the sake of making a point.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Isn't it strange that a lot of dogs won't eat duck or pheasant? Perhaps it's because it's more gamey?

Anyway I gave up this morning and Oscar got green tripe the same a Isla. Ate it no problem at all, so I do think it's just a case of not liking pheasant.

Here's a question for those who believe that it's a case of the owner pandering to the dog: How far would you push it? If you were me would you continue to take the pheasant away and offer it again at the next mealtime until the dog ate it eg until the dog was starving rather than hungry?

I honestly believe it would take Oscar to be starving before he'd eat it, which I think would take several days! I guess I'm just not willing to starve a dog just to get it to eat one particular item for the sake of making a point.
No, wouldn't force any of mine to eat it just because I want them to. It's plain and obvious they dont like it so why force it? I cant stand celery (strange I know) and I would rather starve than be forced to eat it. Why is it such an issue for them to have to eat it? If they are happy to eat most other stuff then give them the food they like, I dont think it will cause them to be fussy. I think as you read this thread, it's not just your dogs being fussy there are quite a few that really dont like pheasant....
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >