Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 02:25 PM

sound sensitivity holiday query

As many of you may know, my GSD is sound sensitive and since his adoption 3 years ago, we haven't had a holiday. With so many people talking abou holidays we are getting a tad jealous and so I am interested in hearing from people whose dogs are also sound sensitive and have taken them on holiday. Here's a few things I amd interested in
How did the dog cope? (different surroundings at night, unusual sounds etc)
What kind of holiday did you have (camping, hotel etc)?

Also if anyone would like to give me some tips about taking more than 3 dogs on holiday, I'd appreciate the help

Thanks
Amanda
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 04:33 PM
What does sound sensitive mean?
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by franc1987
What does sound sensitive mean?
Animals that have an extreme fear of loud noises such as Thunder, Gun shots, Fireworks, banging doors, roadworks or in Lukes case - Any loud noise!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 05:17 PM
havent any experience with it - but suggest the wilds of scotland - wester ross or sutherland - you could rent a cottage on beach etc and just chill out - very unlikely to get any loud noises out there 0 unless you create them yourselves !!

we rented a cottage just outside ullapool last year with our beast and it was fab - really quiet - almost too quiet in terms of me being scared !! LOL
its also a beautiful area for the dogs to roam happily
dani
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog
havent any experience with it - but suggest the wilds of scotland - wester ross or sutherland - you could rent a cottage on beach etc and just chill out - very unlikely to get any loud noises out there 0 unless you create them yourselves !!

we rented a cottage just outside ullapool last year with our beast and it was fab - really quiet - almost too quiet in terms of me being scared !! LOL
its also a beautiful area for the dogs to roam happily
dani

That sounds like Heaven Dani

We live in quite a remote area, but even so he still bolts at times. Was it secure? (I.e. fenced off from roads etc)
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 05:25 PM
yeh - the garden was enclosed ( as bruno has abosultely no recall when he is off leash) however think they had a restriction on 1 dog per property on that one - however try this website - wildernesscottages dot co dot uk they have a lot of peroperties and many are pet friendly - also the national trust have quite afew - but would hiughly recommend the area - or further north up to lochinver - its beautiful and wild and am sure the dogs would love it as would you guys - only other place to consider would be isle of Skye - Or (Lewis/harris however you would need to get ferry so not sure how dogs woulld handle this?) -

dani
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog
yeh - the garden was enclosed ( as bruno has abosultely no recall when he is off leash) however think they had a restriction on 1 dog per property on that one - however try this website - wildernesscottages dot co dot uk they have a lot of peroperties and many are pet friendly - also the national trust have quite afew - but would hiughly recommend the area - or further north up to lochinver - its beautiful and wild and am sure the dogs would love it as would you guys - only other place to consider would be isle of Skye - Or (Lewis/harris however you would need to get ferry so not sure how dogs woulld handle this?) -

dani
Cheers Dani

I think staying at a cottage would be preferable to a tent as at least we will have 4 solid walls to shield any unusual sounds than canvas.
Hopefully we'll get a holiday in the next 12 months (fingers crossed)
jacey
New Member!
Female 

20-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Our youngest collie has become sound sensitive since he started having siezures in May. We have a touring caravan and all 3 sleep in the awning. We were worried about how he would react to going away in it even tho he had been away in it before but he settled down and we never heard a sound from him all night. We do try to find sites that are quite with no club to try and avoid any barking at people coming past late at night.

Jacey
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by jacey
Our youngest collie has become sound sensitive since he started having siezures in May. We have a touring caravan and all 3 sleep in the awning. We were worried about how he would react to going away in it even tho he had been away in it before but he settled down and we never heard a sound from him all night. We do try to find sites that are quite with no club to try and avoid any barking at people coming past late at night.

Jacey
Sorry to hear your Collie suffers with this too.
Anywhere in particular you would reccommend?
jacey
New Member!
Female 

21-08-2005, 07:41 PM
This year we have been to an adults only site at Crickhowell in Wales which was ideal as there was no club on site and he did not have to put up with kids playing outside. We look on the internet to find sites preferably with a dog walk. In 2 weeks we are going to Cornwall although not adults only but as the school hols are over it should be a bit quieter. We have also been to Devon, the Lake District and Yorkshire. We find after all the walks they get he is too tired to worry about any noise and as we are up later then most campers we are with him if therre should be something that worries him.

Jacey
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >