Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 06:33 PM

Single Parents and social housing

We have found out that our neighour next door is a single Parent of two young boys,she is also young maybe in her early twenties,now i'm not saying that she shouldn't be housed by the local authority or H/A,but why a large 3 bed house when there are so many families with 3 or more children that are desperate for a house.

Thoughts Please.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 06:44 PM
I think that is a little unfair on other bigger families, i live in a 1 bedroom flat, my daughter has the bedroom and my OH and i sleep on a sofa bed in the living room, as i own the property, well pay a mortgage on it, i am not even entiltled to go on the council list unless i sell my flat and declare us all homeless.

We cannot afford to buy a house (even if i sold the flat)and i worked damn hard to afford my own flat in the first place!!!

Add to that 2 cats and a dog, we are one squished family!!!
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 06:51 PM
This really ticks me off
Reason being is all you have to do is get kicked out by your parents and bingo, your classed as homeless, they give the houses they have to people who dont have to pay the rent on them

Me and my OH rent an council house, the only reason we live in one is because we rented a private flat an there was servere mold, so bad infact that it was causing my little boy breathing probs,
I am greatful to live in a council house as the rent is reasonable, but we have always paid our own rent so I think it is only fair, where as these people dont have to pay there own rent even if they live in a private rent

Arggg, this is a subject that I could debate about all nite
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
I think that is a little unfair on other bigger families, i live in a 1 bedroom flat, my daughter has the bedroom and my OH and i sleep on a sofa bed in the living room, as i own the property, well pay a mortgage on it, i am not even entiltled to go on the council list unless i sell my flat and declare us all homeless.

We cannot afford to buy a house (even if i sold the flat)and i worked damn hard to afford my own flat in the first place!!!

Add to that 2 cats and a dog, we are one squished family!!!
OMG, there really is no justice in the world is there

and if you sold your flat, they'd say you have to much money so they still wouldn't house you
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 06:57 PM
There`s a pensioner across the road from me, that was given a 3 bedroom house despite him being the only peson that lives there
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by cc22peatree View Post
OMG, there really is no justice in the world is there

and if you sold your flat, they'd say you have to much money so they still wouldn't house you
Exactly!!!! we cant win, so unless we come into some money somehow we are stuck here for the forseeable future
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 07:09 PM
There is also the very recent story of a single mum who couldn't keep up the repayments on her mortgage was repossessed and the council refused to give her emergency housing because she made herself homeless 'intentionally'
Becky
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 07:13 PM
It is wrong. I heard of a young mum that had 4 kids in a two bedroom property She's on the waiting list for another house, but god only knows how long that will take.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 07:49 PM
OK, here's how the allocation of social housing generally works....

There is a waiting list for families requiring 3 bedroom accommodation in a particular area. A 3 bedroom property becomes available. It will be offered to the applicant at the top of the waiting list. If they accept, then the house is theirs, end of story.

However, if that person rejects the offer of the house (which they are entitled to do), then the property will be offered to the next person on the waiting list and so on and so forth until someone accepts the offer.

At some point, there may be no more families requiring 3 bedroom accommodation to offer it to. It then will be offered to the person at the top of the waiting list for 2 bedroom accommodation...and so on and so forth until someone accepts. This is how you can end up with a situation where someone who's basic entitlement to a 2 bed property can be offered a 3 bedroom house.

There are other circumstances which can necessitate an applicant being allocated a slightly larger property and all cases should be judged on their merits, and be backed up with appropriate evidence.

At the end of the day, the officer in charge of making an allocation has to apply rules and regulations and be able to stand over their decision to allocate a particular property to a particular applicant when the auditors come calling . They do not just hand out houses willy nilly as seems to be the public perception.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola View Post
OK, here's how the allocation of social housing generally works....

There is a waiting list for families requiring 3 bedroom accommodation in a particular area. A 3 bedroom property becomes available. It will be offered to the applicant at the top of the waiting list. If they accept, then the house is theirs, end of story.

However, if that person rejects the offer of the house (which they are entitled to do), then the property will be offered to the next person on the waiting list and so on and so forth until someone accepts the offer.

At some point, there may be no more families requiring 3 bedroom accommodation to offer it to. It then will be offered to the person at the top of the waiting list for 2 bedroom accommodation...and so on and so forth until someone accepts. This is how you can end up with a situation where someone who's basic entitlement to a 2 bed property can be offered a 3 bedroom house.

There are other circumstances which can necessitate an applicant being allocated a slightly larger property and all cases should be judged on their merits, and be backed up with appropriate evidence.

At the end of the day, the officer in charge of making an allocation has to apply rules and regulations and be able to stand over their decision to allocate a particular property to a particular applicant when the auditors come calling . They do not just hand out houses willy nilly as seems to be the public perception.
Thanks for making it a bit clearer I knew houses were offered down the list of applicants waiting for 3 bedroom properties, I didn't know it was then offered to people on the 2 bedroom lists afterwards.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »