View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-06-2012, 07:32 PM

Recommendations for a reasonably priced good quality pin brush?

I've bought a few different cheap brushes to see which I preferred - although the boar bristle brush (only a cheapy one!) is ok for 'polishing' her fur after it's had a good brush I've found that a pin brush works best.

Haven't tried a slicker brush yet as really I want to save up and make sure that I get a good quality one that is guaranteed to be safe.

I do all Whisper's grooming myself and her cheapy pin brush is driving me a bit nutty! So I'd like to get a relatively cheap but better quality one for her.

Any recommendations??

I'm thinking a hard cushion would be helpful as that's the main problem with her cheapy brushes - they just can't cope with her long, thick fur and the pins disappear into the cushion meaning I have to work really hard to get the job done.

These are a few of the reasonably priced ones I like - any tips *very* welcome! I do like the Chris Christensen ones lol but can't afford them right now!

All from (( HUB International))

All Systems - Purple or Teal Large Pin Brush

Ref: 1441New

Price: £12.81 (Excluding VAT at 20%)

Quantity:

All Sytems Original Large Pin Brush (new colours)

The finest quality Pin Brush, designed specifically for medium to long coats, whether single or double coated, where only the finest brushing instrument will do. Pin Brush is especially recommended for finer, more fragile coats, or just when every hair counts. Oval, plastic handle; longer, rust-proof, anti-static pins penetrate coat deeper without tearing coat; contoured handle for ultimate comfort; designed to out last the competition.

All Systems - 35mm Large Pin Brush (Black Pad)

Ref: 3139

Price: £13.38 (Excluding VAT at 20%)

Quantity:

All Systems Large White Wood Pin Brush. Large Oval headed, extra long, contoured and lightweight hardwood handle, 35 mm. extra long pins are smooth, have rounded tips- brush is offered in Firm with black pad for rough double coats.

Show Tech Ultra Professioal Pin Brush with Extra Long 30 mm Pins

Ref: 0917

Price: £11.75 (Excluding VAT at 20%)

Quantity:

Show Tech Ultra Professioal Pin Brush with 11 rows of Extra Long 30 mm Pins.

I've got some grooming spray but haven't found it all that helpful tbh. Can't actually remember the brand but it's OMG spray that I have.

Again; if anyone has recommendations for a reasonably priced detangling spray then I'd be happy to hear them. Just want to give my poor arms a break!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 12:55 PM
On the HUB site there is a cheap oval pin brush made from wood that I use. I had an other the same and someone thought it was so good they nicked it.

I use a small one (terrier coats) but you would need a large one I guess

Small one was about £5. just make sure the ends are rounded
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 02:27 PM
i use this one , v good quality
http://www.plushpuppy.co.uk/brushes/...ion_brush.html

thanks to a freebie i now use the Wahl detangling spray. has a nice smell to it as well
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Human hair brushes can work just as well.... can also be cheaper

I also have the pin brush Rough has shown in the link above, in my dog grooming kit. Undercoat rakes (mines a mikki one) I have found really handy for double/long coated breeds when they are shedding.

My slicker brush looks like this, a few years old and still going strong:

http://www.groomers-online.com/produ...839b3304be30ad
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 05:38 PM
NAFF Silky Mane and Tail (and it has to be NAFF not any other make, it is a white spray bottle with pink label) is by far the best detangler I have every used and I have used most, from the cheapest to the 2nd mortgage inducing ones!! You can get it from most equine stores or farming stores and is only around £10 a bottle. Doesn't leave a residue and works a treat
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions!

Very helpful!! It's a Plush Puppy pin brush I have at the moment but not that one - I don't remember seeing that one when I placed my order lol. Typical that I missed it!

I keep looking at the Mikki rake and thinking about getting one - I probably should reading your advice spoccky boy!

Chunky - thanks for the tip! Shall track that down! Certain parts of her body are harder to brush than others such as her 'baggy pants' lol. So that stuff sounds ideal
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Also like using this slicker brush as I find the pins don't get bend as much, and I find it easier to brush though finer longer coats- not to mention you don't stab yourself (or that just me? ):

http://www.groomers-online.com/produ...ll-pin-slicker

Using coat conditioner when bathing can help de-tangling process. I quite like Knot Sure by Animology (well I like all their products )

http://www.animology.co.uk/acatalog/...and-spray.html