View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:08 PM
I did that last time with my advocate, Zena can smell it coming a mile off and runs and hides, so this time, I put a few treats on the floor, straddled myself over her from behind, and bent down and did it, but it ended up more on her coat than her skin, and I don't think it works like that?

You do know that you have to turn the little top around and push it back on so that it punctures the top of the tube (coz you said it's hard to squeeze!)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I did that last time with my advocate, Zena can smell it coming a mile off and runs and hides, so this time, I put a few treats on the floor, straddled myself over her from behind, and bent down and did it, but it ended up more on her coat than her skin, and I don't think it works like that?

You do know that you have to turn the little top around and push it back on so that it punctures the top of the tube (coz you said it's hard to squeeze!)
That's pretty much what happened! Yeah I snapped the lid off as it says but then it squeezes slowly through a small hole!

Advocate is much easier as it's a small bottle with a big hole.I just squeeze it on when I make him sit wait for his dinner!

Nightmare stuff!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:01 PM
when we lived on exmoor , we kept the dogs frontlined with a spot on, i also kept a spray bottle that i could dab straight onto any little sods, i also fed ALOT of garlic which helped.

Im so lucky that in cardiff we get very few.

Im not going to really mention it, but just something to think about. Ticks do crawl through coats, but the more coat they have the more coat they have to crawl through & a quick comb after a walk at times halfway through a walk, would get rid f some litle sods before they attached!!!!

Wait til YOU get one,its MINGING!!!!! ive hadtwo before!!!!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Poor Woody. I hope he's recovered from the tick invasion. We seem quite luckey here. In six years, Tillys only had one tick but she did it in style! It managed to attach itself to the edge of her eyelid. I used a cotton bud to dab frontline all around it and it did drop off quite quickly. What would worry me is if there are deer in the area, ticks may be carrying lymes disease which can be very serious!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
when we lived on exmoor , we kept the dogs frontlined with a spot on, i also kept a spray bottle that i could dab straight onto any little sods, i also fed ALOT of garlic which helped.

Im so lucky that in cardiff we get very few.

Im not going to really mention it, but just something to think about. Ticks do crawl through coats, but the more coat they have the more coat they have to crawl through & a quick comb after a walk at times halfway through a walk, would get rid f some litle sods before they attached!!!!

Oh stop it!!! I am now paranoid about checking myself all over!!

Jimmi is short coated and short legged......that may be why the little so and sos find him so easy.

I am going to wear wellies from now on.........heat or no heat
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Poor Woody. I hope he's recovered from the tick invasion. We seem quite luckey here. In six years, Tillys only had one tick but she did it in style! It managed to attach itself to the edge of her eyelid. I used a cotton bud to dab frontline all around it and it did drop off quite quickly. What would worry me is if there are deer in the area, ticks may be carrying lymes disease which can be very serious!
There are a lot of deer around here, and yes it is a worry.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Deacon had his first tick last week, had a reaction to it and was put on anti-biotics... used alcohol and tweezers and got it out entire.. so proud!! The vet said alcohol will kill them, but obviously I didn't put enough on, as it was still alive when I took him to the vets! I came home to find Jamie, had one on his face... again alcohol to kill it...
Jamie also reacts to frontline, so don't use it much... feed garlic now... hope it works, they are foul!! Don't fancy getting one myself either!!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Ewwww...they're so disgusting!!! I nearly sat on one that dropped off unnoticed on our sofa. Luckily I saw it before it attached itself to my ample butt!!
I do know someone who had one attached to his.......well lets just say........dingly danglies!! I didn't have the guts to ask what he was doing at the time!!!!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Neem spray apparently works well, but I think you have to use it before each walk.
I met a lady who's dog had a bad reaction to Frontline and she swears by this.
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2010, 11:20 PM
Aww poor Woody, imagine those yucky critters trying to ruin his holiday! Hope he is ok now.

Hamish hasn't had a tick (as yet) we frontline him regularly but I thought that was just for fleas so think we've just been lucky so far

Dee xx
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >