Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Puffin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Vomiting

Hi - just wanted some advice. Puffin has been vomiting since around 5am this morning. She woke me up with her whining which I was going to ignore (she's still getting used to her crate) until I heard ominous wretching... let her our and she ran straight outside and started frantically eating grass before vomiting. This has happened a few times this morning now.

Her gums are also a little pale and she's not her usual lively self (she was quiet last night too but ate her dinner OK).

She usually goes to daycare kennels but obviously not today - just called them to ask if she'd eaten anything she shouldn't have done yesterday and they said no...

I've been giving her skullcap and valerian tables for about 3 weeks now (to combat anxiety) and she seems to tolerate them fine, although I slipped a worming tablet in her dinner on Sunday and she's been spitting them out since then! (I guess the worming tablet tasted bad). So I don' think there is a connection to that and her vomiting but just wondered if anyone else had used them?

Am planning on starving her for the next 24 hours and then giving her some gentle (rice etc) in the morning.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I would be at the vet right now!

Pale gums are NOT a good sign.......

Please take her asap
Puffin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2010, 11:52 AM
You're frightening me. Everyone else I've spoken to said starve her for 24 hours then call vet if she's not better. Trying to call them now.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
You're frightening me. Everyone else I've spoken to said starve her for 24 hours then call vet if she's not better. Trying to call them now.
Don't be frightened.There are many causes of vomiting and if she was not with you yesterday you cannot be sure whether she ate something that has either upset her or caused an obstruction.Speaking to the vet should put your mind at rest as to whether she needs to be seen or whether to starve. Always better to err on the side of caution.

Fudge has been sick a few times and it was absolutely nothing, on the other hand she was sick after an obstruction and needed to see a vet.

Let us know how you get on......I am sure all will be fine.
Puffin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks. Just spoke to veterinary nurse and she said to starve her, no water for a few hours and keep an eye on her, but to call back if I get worried. She's alert and waggy, just quieter than usual. The kennels said she the only thing she could have eaten would have been faeces (she has done in the past but usually sheep/cow/horse dung, not dog). It's so tricky with vomiting as it could be any number of things - some more ominous than others.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
Thanks. Just spoke to veterinary nurse and she said to starve her, no water for a few hours and keep an eye on her, but to call back if I get worried. She's alert and waggy, just quieter than usual. The kennels said she the only thing she could have eaten would have been faeces (she has done in the past but usually sheep/cow/horse dung, not dog). It's so tricky with vomiting as it could be any number of things - some more ominous than others.
Hope she perks up soon.....let us know?
Puffin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Will do, thanks all. She's currently curled asleep under a blankie...
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 03:33 PM
It doesn't have to be something she has eaten it could be a nasty bug or absolutly anything else from very serious to something silly making her vomit.
I don't like the sound of the pale gums I must be honest and I am not sure what type of dog you have that is ill.
In your avatar it looks like a greyhound, if thats the case I would keep a very close eye for dehydration especailly as you already have pale gums. Greyhounds don't have any body fat or loose skin so can dehydrate very quickly.
Certainly don't feed for 24 hours and then start something light, but make sure your dog is taking in plenty of fluid as they will be losing a lot everytime they are sick.
If you are not happy with how they seem then I would not hesitate to get to the vets.
Puffin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks madmare, am keeping a very close eye on her! Her gums seem a more normal colour now, will try her with a little water in a bit as the nurse said to give her a little now and again - she is a skinny-minny and I don't want her to dehydrate (she's a Lurcher - around 10 months). No vomiting since 11am...
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 03:51 PM
No vomiting since 11am...
Oh thats a good sign, I just presumed she was still vomiting since early this morning from reading your first post.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >