View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 07:43 PM
I think this sort of problem is down to personal preference, so you must find your own way of doing things - take all the advice on board to form your own plan.

One thing I will say though, is once you've made your decision stick to it. If you decide she's going to stay in her own room then don't go to her when she cries, this will only enforce the crying as she'll cotton on to the fact that crying out leads to you coming to comfort her.

With my pup she's in the kitchen from day one, but then I have another dog in the kitchen with her so she's not technically all alone.

Definitely leave the radio on for her or a ticking clock so she isn't in total silence. Also pop a "warm" hot water bottle in with her as she'll be used to the warmth of her littermates.

Oh and there's nothing wrong with bringing her in with you to begin with, it's just not the way I do things so can't comment on that aspect!

Good luck.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2006, 07:49 PM
When we got Tyler,we got a crate for him at night and put it in our room with us by the side of the bed,gradually we placed it further and further away,until he was downstairs in the lounge and he has his crate in there permantly now.We put his toys in with him and his bedding his breeder gave us.We never had a problem with crying,the only time he will cry is if he needs to use the toilet.
Good luck.
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2006, 09:06 PM
As others have said I think that you need to plan your actions and stick to them .. waiting until your pup cries is "teaching " her that calling you works.. she cries you go to her ...she will continue to cry as it gets a great reward.. you She is very young and I think I would probably bed her down in my room (in a crate) until she was a little older. the other advise RE hot water bottles, clothes that smell like you are all great too,
You could put puppy pads down for her nite time wees and then ignore her once she is "in bed"

there is no right and wrong just what works best for you and your pup...

My lab slept on the bed for about 3 mnths, he was tiny when I got him.. (I now realise he was well under 6wks) then he and his bed went in the kitchen.. it was fine, no huge problem, no crying etc. I don't think you need to worry about "spoiling" the puppy by giving it a bit more leeway than you would an older dog...

Rachel
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-07-2006, 09:10 PM
I spent the first few nights sleeping on the sofa,then moved her into our room and eventually she slept on the landing or downastairs of her own accord,after about 4 weeks.I would be very scared if I was left somewhere strange and with people I didn't know so puppies must feel the same.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2