Our sister sites
Our sister sites
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2006, 12:45 PM

advice re clicker training....

hi all!

i've been advised by my trainer to start clicker training with sam (my rescue springer). just after some advice really on how to start it! how does it work....and does it work?? if any of you use it, can you give me a few pointers please? cheers peeps!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Hi Springergirl I have never used clicker very much myself but understand it is very good I have Karen Priors book ''Clicker training for dogs'' but for easy of use instructions they don't come much better than Alison's (one of our members)

murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2006, 07:23 PM
hi ive done clicker training b4 and karen pryors book is great,if your trainer has recommened it do they not use it? it also helps if you play the clicker game b4 you try it if your trainer hasnt done this b4 its easy basically you have one person as dog and other as trainer the trainer decides what they want the dog to do but doesnt tell them the only way they communicate is by clicking when the dog does a posative thing i bit like the warm,hot game we all used to play as children hope this makes sense!!!
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Clicker training is awesome!!! I have now taught my 10 week old pup to "wait", "come", sit on hand signal, "stand" (for showing) and "floor" (lie down) its amazing, I can't believe I've ever used any other method, I love it!!!! Go for it, honestly its fantastic!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 06:48 AM
I also use clicker and found it made many things so much easier and is so easy to communicate to the dog what you want; however it must be done correctly.

I'd advise not only a book (Karen Pryor's is excellent) and Alison's advice but, maybe a video or investing in a training one to one session with a clicker trainer to learn, otherwise you may find it a bit difficult to see the true potential.

When I first started I thought "what is the big deal?" and this was from someone who had realy wanted to clicker train. Now I love it and although I don't use it all the time, find it is so helpful and often pull my clicker out

I used it initially for training all my basic obedience plus more advanced and some for working trials. I don't use it for Stays though although many do

Dogs love clicker training which is the best thing about it!
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2006, 07:53 AM
hey thanks everyone for your helpful advice. i have ordered an i-clicker and the karen pryor book. also ive read the link on clicker training by alison on dogsey which was very imformative. cant wait to get started now though!! my trainer says he will help me, although they dont teach it in class. i will prob have to have a one-to-one with him. i also got the mary ray book of tricks which came yesterday. makes brill reading, and all her tricks are done using clicker training and a target stick. mmmmm fancy a bit of heelwork to music (dont think my sam would be too impressed though!!!
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm a clicker-convert, for the reasons that (a) it really WORKS! (b) the dogs LOVE it! and (c) it's very addictive . . once you start, you keep discovering other things you can do with it, and (d), it prevents my ultra-clever dog from getting bored (e) . . No Punishment, no sulks, no guilt, just FUN!!!!

Have a look at www.crosskeys.com, they have a really good selection of training books, and they are doing a web-offer of book, video, clicker-cards, clickers and a 'work book' which helps reinforce your understanding of how clicker-training works.

Clicker-training is not a 'step-by-step' instruction course exactly; you have to understand the methods behind it, they YOU work out how to train what you want your dog to do/stop doing. This means there are no limits - let your imagination go wild! Take a bit of time to slowly digest all the ideas behind it - it's worth the effort because it means YOUR dog will do what YOU want, rather than what a trainer in a class wants!!

I'm sure you'll love it - and so will your Springer!!
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2006, 10:32 AM
aw thanks ponlady for your reply! i can't wait to get started on it! just waiting for my clicker and book to arrive. i'm sure it'll keep my air-head springer's brain ticking over!!

just a quick question. can i still use the whistle with the clicker? i have been training sam to recall using the whistle. can i use the clicker too, or should i just stick to one thing? dont wanna confuse the little critter
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by springergirl
aw thanks ponlady for your reply! i can't wait to get started on it! just waiting for my clicker and book to arrive. i'm sure it'll keep my air-head springer's brain ticking over!!

just a quick question. can i still use the whistle with the clicker? i have been training sam to recall using the whistle. can i use the clicker too, or should i just stick to one thing? dont wanna confuse the little critter

Yes, of course, because they mean different things - the clicker is just a way to say "Yes! Treat coming .. "
The Whistle means "Pay Attention to ME!"
So when you use the whistle, and she looks at you - click/treat! (She'll learn recall automatically because she'll have to run to you to get the treat).
Once this is reliable, start making it gradually harder for her to 'win': she only gets a c/t when she comes to you; she only gets a c/t when she comes and sits at your feet; she only gets a c/t when she responds instantly to the whistle, she only gets a c/t when she responds instantly, sits and waits quietly at your feet while you touch her collar . . and so on.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2006, 10:59 AM
ahhhh i see! think i'm beginning to understand the mechanics of this clicker thing now! start off easy, and make it harder and harder for them to 'earn' the click/treat! what treats do you use? my trainer told me to use 'high value' ones to start off with. i usually use cheese, sausages, baked liver....alsorts really!! spoilt little doglets they are
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >